Pirate 4x4 banner

81 - 100 of 1089 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,378 Posts
Discussion Starter #81
Damn fine build man, you work for cat?
I work for Pape' Machinery. It is a John Deere Construction and Forestry dealer in N. Cal, Oregon, Nevada, and Washington. It's a good company and I love my job.

·
Premium Member
1,378 Posts
Discussion Starter #82
Awesome build! I just bought my fiancee's dads old truck. He passed away Dec of '11 and his trucks just been sitting. I paid her mom $900 for it. It's a '93 F-350 CC Long Bed 4x4 with the 7.3 IDI non-turbo. I'm going to turn it into a mud truck.

I don't have the fab skills to do what you're doing so I'm going to run it off the original frame. Looking for some 2.5 ton Rocks and I'll probably go with some 46" military tires. The lift will probably just be leaf springs for now.

But I'm glad to see I'm not the only crazy person turning a heavy ass old diesel into a mud truck lol. Hows the 6.9 do power wise in the mud?
It's been rebuilt, but with all factory parts. I also had it balanced and had the heads done. It has a non waste gated Banks Sidewinder Turbo. It has good power but it sucked in the mud with the manual transmission. If I tried to up shift it would fall off the boost and lug and then you couldn't get it back without downshifting. I plan on doing some head studs, a new IP, and injectors before it's on the road. That and the C6 should help a lot. May also change out the turbo but I havn't decided yet.

·
Premium Member
1,378 Posts
Discussion Starter #83
I had a little free time tonight so I built this bulkhead to run my steering hoses through the firewall. Just some scrap aluminum and some bulkhead fittings I got from work. I got lots of #6 JIC Parker hose fittings and 2 wire hose free when one of the local mills went from Parker to some other brand.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,378 Posts
Discussion Starter #85
Also had to add an additional mount on the side of the 205. Without it the transfercase assembly wanted to rock back and forth and I'm sure that would have been bad. Also had to make some minor modifications to the parking brake linkage and bracket to fit the other mount.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,378 Posts
Discussion Starter #86
So I didn't get any real work done this weekend. Saturday I drove 6+ hours to Salinas to buy some Sport Trac parts I need. I found someone selling some headlights on CL and when I called them they said they also had the header panel I need and, more importantly, the drivers door I need. Got all the way there and the door was wrong. It was too long. I'm guessing it was from a two door Explorer. Anybody know what the difference between a four door Explorer front door and a Sport Trac front door is? I have not been able to put them side by side but they look the same to me. Any info would be great.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Dumb question but why the parking brake? This thing cant be street legal.

One time a friend of mine got stuck halfway up a hill. He had to get out got a moment to plug in his winch controller while another guy was pulling cable. A snap ring in his transfer case broke and caused the transfer case shaft to slide, which took the t case from 4wl to neutral and his rig took a nasty tumble down the very long hill he was climbing. An e brake would have prevented this.

·
Premium Member
1,378 Posts
Discussion Starter #94
So I didn't get any real work done this weekend. Saturday I drove 6+ hours to Salinas to buy some Sport Trac parts I need. I found someone selling some headlights on CL and when I called them they said they also had the header panel I need and, more importantly, the drivers door I need. Got all the way there and the door was wrong. It was too long. I'm guessing it was from a two door Explorer. Anybody know what the difference between a four door Explorer front door and a Sport Trac front door is? I have not been able to put them side by side but they look the same to me. Any info would be great.
So I spent some time packing my old Sport Trac door around the junk yard and after being told by everyone at the yard and every online parts recycling page that an Explorer door won't fit on a Sport Trac I bought one for a $100 and bolted it on. Good gamble, fits perfectly.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,378 Posts
Discussion Starter #95
So, got a little done, not a lot... got the rear upper links in and dropped the frame to full bump. Just enough room for the fuel line and fitting. Also suprised at how close the angles are on the fuel tank sump and the link bracket. I didn't even have the brackets when I built the tank. Still need to install the rear shock brackets and flex out the suspension. Really looking forward to that step.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,378 Posts
Discussion Starter #96
I also put my "new to me" header panel on with the bumper cover and head lights. I never had head lights before and it's getting easier to see how it will look... now I just need some fenders and marker lights.

Attachments

·
Registered
24 Posts
Holy big truck...Jesus that is a monster. I dig that it isn't just a pinion brake setup, and that it's a diesel...badass.

·
Premium Member
1,378 Posts
Discussion Starter #100
I'm guessing you already sold the zf5 set up but if you didn't I'm looking for one to swap out the c6 gear vendors combo in my tow rig
I did sell it actually, sorry. $600 for trans with LUK heavy duty clutch and flywheel. Used that money towards my tires. If you are having a hard time finding a trans I can look around locally and see what I can find.

81 - 100 of 1089 Posts