Pirate 4x4 banner

1081 - 1089 of 1089 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,378 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,081
Had some time this last weekend and some help and finally got the transmission out of the truck and apart. My brother offered to give me a hand and in less than four hours had the tires off, cab off, and transmission out and apart. Forward planetary thrust bearing came apart and made it's way into the gears. Fortunately I had another transmission to steal the hard parts out of. I do need to order a thrust washer kit and I'll be sending the torque back to Broader Performance for cleaning. So a thorough cleaning and assembly is really all I need. Durring assembly I'll verify the oil passages are clear and I performed the recommended mods properly and I didn't miss or mess anything up. Pretty sure the root cause is overheating.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,378 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,084
Lot of work for four hours. Bet it takes a lot longer to go together. They say heat is the number one killer. What kind of cooler did you have on the tranny?
The cooler I had was not big enough, so I added a second but I think maybe it was too late. They are plate and fin coolers and last couple trips out trans temps were good. Probably take about 4 hours to put it back together after the trans is assembled.

·
Registered
11,780 Posts
any roller thrust bits you can toss at it? I know C4s can be done up with a lot of torringtons, dunno bout C6s

·
Premium Member
1,378 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,086
any roller thrust bits you can toss at it? I know C4s can be done up with a lot of torringtons, dunno bout C6s
It was a roller thrust that came apart. A fuller roller upgrade is available but requires a bunch of the drums and planetaries to be replaced. Not sure in my application it's worth the money.

·
Premium Member
194 Posts
I know this is going back a spell, but if that tire repair doesn't work, give this stuff a try.
If you follow the directions, it's amazing what it'll do.
I got some and fixed the sidewall, and tread area on one of my tires and it's held up great.
Typically I don't run more than 6.5 psi in my tires while wheeling either.
Seems like the trick is to vee out way more than you think and clean the area to give it something to bond to.

·
Safety third!
11,378 Posts
It was a roller thrust that came apart. A fuller roller upgrade is available but requires a bunch of the drums and planetaries to be replaced. Not sure in my application it's worth the money.
Which one specifically ate it? No. 6 right? It's right by the planetary and that is absolutely trashed. I suppose it's possible some trash caused the needle roller to fall apart as well.

You thought about finding an E4OD 1st gear while you're at it? 2.71 first gear instead of 2.46. Great for big heavy shit like your rig.

There are 9 thrust washers/bearings in all. No. 3 and 6 are needle roller factory. No. 9 is the one that takes the vast majority of the abuse since it's in the very back and that location sees the thrust of the full stack. Jay Broader sells a $40 kit that is already machined and comes with the roller bearing. I bought his since it was a lot easier than making my own at that price and it's such a popular mod.

There's not a lot of benefit or bang for your buck in doing any of the others unless it's an all out effort. Lot of 700+ hp built transmissions that just do no. 9, including mine. C4s are great and super light, but for most builds I'd just opt for a C6 since the stock parts are usually tougher than everything else, they're stupid easy to build, and they're super cheap. A lot of people are scared off due to the "power hog" factor, but a few mods will put them into TH350 territory for parasitic loss.

·
Premium Member
1,378 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,089
Which one specifically ate it? No. 6 right? It's right by the planetary and that is absolutely trashed. I suppose it's possible some trash caused the needle roller to fall apart as well.

You thought about finding an E4OD 1st gear while you're at it? 2.71 first gear instead of 2.46. Great for big heavy shit like your rig.

There are 9 thrust washers/bearings in all. No. 3 and 6 are needle roller factory. No. 9 is the one that takes the vast majority of the abuse since it's in the very back and that location sees the thrust of the full stack. Jay Broader sells a $40 kit that is already machined and comes with the roller bearing. I bought his since it was a lot easier than making my own at that price and it's such a popular mod.

There's not a lot of benefit or bang for your buck in doing any of the others unless it's an all out effort. Lot of 700+ hp built transmissions that just do no. 9, including mine. C4s are great and super light, but for most builds I'd just opt for a C6 since the stock parts are usually tougher than everything else, they're stupid easy to build, and they're super cheap. A lot of people are scared off due to the "power hog" factor, but a few mods will put them into TH350 territory for parasitic loss.
Was #6 that took a shit. Have the #9 kit already. saving up for the wide ratio rollerized stuff from Broader. It's not much money but shit's pretty tight right now and it's not the right time for me to be buying play truck parts. Could buy a thrust washer kit for $40 and slap it back together but I'd rather just wait and do it once and be done.

1081 - 1089 of 1089 Posts