Pirate 4x4 banner

101 - 120 of 1089 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,378 Posts
Discussion Starter #102
That's funny 'cause I always said the same thing about the Sport Tracs... I think they are ugly also. I think the Chevy Colorado actually has a better look but if I was building a Chevy I would have to kick my own ass. It was more of a decision of function over looks. I think 54's and Rocks could make anything look good. Well almost. Pontiac Aztec would still be ugly.

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
Pontiac Aztec would still be ugly.
You sure about that???

Okay, good call. :flipoff2:

Also, OP, is that a B-Series I see in the corner of that one picture? What's the plan for it?

Okay, hijack over...back to the IDI SportTrac wickedness :smokin:

·
Premium Member
1,378 Posts
Discussion Starter #109 (Edited)
Ya, this one won't be cheap. Picked up the engine for $1500 and when I removed the head found it had been stored with the intake off and #3 and #4 were filled with water. So it needs a total rebuild and two cylinders sleeved.

·
Premium Member
1,378 Posts
Discussion Starter #110 (Edited)
I seriously considered putting a P-Pump Cummins in the Sport Trac but there was no way it was going to fit under the hood without major modifications to the firewall and cab. I am however working on picking up a P-Pump from a 9.0 litre International V8 to try to install on my 6.9.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
I seriously considered putting a P-Pump Cummins in the Sport Trac but there was no way it was going to fit under the hood without major modifications to the firewall and cab. I am however working on picking up a P-Pump from a 9.0 litre International V8 to try to install on my 6.9.
Meh, EVERYONE does a Fummins....don't be like me, err, everyone. :flipoff2:

However, I've always wanted to p-pump an IDI....drop the compression a bit, put the biggest injectors I could, and a triple turbo setup with twins feeding a big single....(rattle, lope, rattle rattle, lope) :evil: VERY interested to see where this goes...:smokin:

·
Premium Member
1,378 Posts
Discussion Starter #115
Meh, EVERYONE does a Fummins....don't be like me, err, everyone. :flipoff2:

However, I've always wanted to p-pump an IDI....drop the compression a bit, put the biggest injectors I could, and a triple turbo setup with twins feeding a big single....(rattle, lope, rattle rattle, lope) :evil: VERY interested to see where this goes...:smokin:
I've heard that the bottom end of an IDI 6.9 is only good for 600-700 hp. Over that it pushes the main bolts out of the block. I'm looking for something a little more sensible. Maybe 450-500 hp at the flywheel with a single turbo.

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
I've heard that the bottom end of an IDI 6.9 is only good for 600-700 hp. Over that it pushes the main bolts out of the block. I'm looking for something a little more sensible. Maybe 450-500 hp at the flywheel with a single turbo.
I used to be HUGE into IDI performance when in college (and when my Fummins was yet to be and still purring a 7.3 NA with every non-turbo power trick known to man, aside from a cam). There was a sketchy shop up north, around Michigan I believe, and he claimed to get over 400hp regularly out of the IDI's. He would stud them and claimed to run nearly 25 psi of boost on the stock 21:1 compression without cracking the pistons. High compression makes decking and studs a must unless you shave the pistons or get low-comp slugs. There used to be hopped up head gaskets (copper maybe?) but I haven't seen them since that Michigan guy's website died. I have also read about the bottom scattering, and I also read just as much about block flexing/cracking when making power at higher revs.

I've never seen a buildup of an IDI with the P-pump though, so I'm excited to see what you come up with.

·
Registered
3,156 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,378 Posts
Discussion Starter #119
Hypermax's Superbuild - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

Seems someone has done it, but details are as always; lacking.

EDIT: in the pics you can see a huge main girdle between the block and pan.
That's a little over the top for me. That engine probably has more money into it than I'll have into my whole truck. In the last year I've scrapped 3 running, rebuildable 6.9s... so the next one I come across will go on a stand and get used for all my mock-up. I'm gonna get the truck running with the engine I have now and the P-pump engine will be the next project. Those pictures make me wonder how close some Stroker manifolds would be to bolting up... I need to check into that.

·
Premium Member
1,378 Posts
Discussion Starter #120
Finally got to work on the truck today. I've been super busy at work so I havn't even looked at it for a couple weeks. I got my rear shock mounts installed. I didn't have o-rings for my wheels when I installed the tires so I have to break down my wheels and tires to install the o-rings and then I can cycle my suspension and check clearances. I'm not looking forward to wrestling those heavy ass wheels and tires around... I'm just a little guy...

Attachments

101 - 120 of 1089 Posts