Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 271 Posts

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I got started on my diesel ranger project. This ranger is a 93 2wd 4cyl 5spd and was given to me by my neighbor. My plan is to toss in a Cummins 4BT and standard trans with 2 solid axles with lockers. I haven't spent a dime on this sucker yet, I've just been tearing it apart. Check it out.

The frame is very hurtin on this thing. The shackle brackets just broke off. I'm going to sandblast everything, box the frame, and weld on all new custom crossmembers.

Here's the pile of shit I've cut off so far.

·
Registered
2,682 Posts
might be a nice project but why go with diesel with the price of fuel and the mileage?

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well someday I want to be making biodiesel and this will be getting much better mileage than any gas engine in this truck and will have some punch.

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I may be going to look at a pair dana 60s today for it. I'll have to shorten them but hey I have a chopsaw and a TIG welder; can't be too hard right?

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
why shorten?? if your worried about the tires stickin out past the body get some rims with good backspaceing and flairs for the fenders..

that way yer using OEM axles.:grinpimp:

·
Registered
278 Posts
Full width for Teh Win!
If you do any shortening, you'll have to have custom shafts splined when you break stuff. No junkyard diving for you. Best case scenario, you shorten them on one side and have to go spendy on half your axles. :(

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This is going to be a daily driver though. How much backspacing can I possibly get? I'll be using 16.5' rims and 33" tires. Fender flares don't sound too bad. I have a sterling fullfloat 10.25" i think I'm going to use for the rear. I will probably grap a HP 8lug D44 or D60 for the front. Don't know if I'm going to use coils or leafs yet. Probably leafs.

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
ok..get yer self over to www.rrorc.com and see how EASY it is to do coils with radius arms..theres a wealth of info there and guys that will give ya crap over it...also theres a write up at www.therangerstation.com about flairing your bedsides and fenders for added tire cover..easy cheesy stuff!!

and you can get some good backspacing..with the 16.5's yer gonna clear the tierod ends pretty well..prolly can get somethin set DEEP!!

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I know how easy it is to do coils with radius arms; I did it on my f150! I'm thinking about goin with waggoneer axles though unless I can get like 5" backspaced rims. Probably do bushwacker fender flares. We'll see.

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Could I use dually rims front and rear? Think they would hit the TREs and brakes? Maybe I'll just have to go blingin with some 20" alcoas.

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
60's are sold. I still have that sterling 10.25 lyin around though. Should I toss some hummer wheels on that? Funny because my dad actually owns a military hummer. Actually I have some 2.5 tons lying around too but I don't think I want to go that big. Plus the diff is on the wrong side.

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I just found out my dad has a whole extra set of hummer rims lying around. Looks like I'm in business. Will these clear the knuckles on a dana 44 and dana 60 front?

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I don't see how it could be any less proportional than a powerstroke in a fullsize long bed.

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
Colorado Ron said:
You realize how nose heavy this is going to be?
do you know how nose heavy ALL trucks are?..rangers are horribly heavy stock!!

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
Hey Mook,

where in Mass you at? Eastern/Western?

·
Registered
662 Posts
Wanderer, We have a 77 bronco with same diesel in it sittin down at the shop. Hit the brakes in a light panic stop and the rear unloads. The cummins is heavier than a bigblock. The bronco when it had 1/2ton suspension looked like that polar bear commercial where he is walking draggin his head across the ice!!lol.

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Im in SE mass. Right near new bedford. So Should I get some 1 ton springs to do this setup? I was thinking F150 coils for the front. I might have to get leafs though now looking at it.

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I'm also moving the battery to the bed so that's a good 30 lbs weight transfer. I should be getting a fuel cell which will be in the bed too.

1 - 20 of 271 Posts