Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As the current King, I command all of you to take March 14th off to go down to your local legislator's office and speak to them in person about saving Johnson Valley and the Hammers trail system. Make sure you call ahead and set an appointment on either the 14th or 15th of March, which CMRC has designated as the "National OHV Lobby days". On this days, your legislator WILL be in thier offices.

This is VERY important. Walking into their offices will carry MUCH more weight than an e-mail....and an even bigger impact will come from east coast guys like me because our legislators have NO idea what it is like in Johnson Valley.

For talking points and a step by step process of how to do this, please click here:

http://savethehammers.org/sth/index.php?option=com_content&view=category&layout=blog&id=7&Itemid=5

We CAN save Johnson Valley. It is NOT a lost cause. But we need EVERYONE to step up....don't rely on the other guy to do this. We need YOU.

·
Registered
556 Posts
congrats on the win, and count me in for bombarding an office one of those days!
EDIT; bombarding nicely that is.

·
Registered
193 Posts
this is at the same time as my spring break so were hoping to have about 10 of us from my hometown/small wheeling club go in and talk to our Representative about this and other offroading concerns in NNJ.

even though i have never been to the hammers i am doing this to save it for when i can visit and so that events like king of the hammers can go on.

bringing attention to one cause will get our voice out there and we can work to get other trail systems reopened or saved or the creation of new parks and public land were we can go offroading.

·
16,231 Posts
Talking points
29 Palms Base Expansion Talking points:

The Off Highway Vehicle market is a $1.5 Billion a year industry. (Source California OHMVR Commission meeting testimony from Fred Wiley President of the Off Road Business Association May 25th 2011.) Closing this important area will result in additional job losses.

The base expansion would remove approximately 160,000 acres from the 185,000 acre OHV area, cutting combined open motorized recreation opportunities in the California desert in half. This may result in an increase in illegal OHV use, and potential resource damage.

Base expansion poses an eminent danger to the general public as the live fire base currently has no perimeter fences, and no fences are proposed for the expansion into an OHV area that has long been enjoyed as a family recreation destination.

The base expansion proposal does not allow for a buffer zone between existing private property owners and the live fire Marine Base.

In Iraq and Afghanistan, the Marines were being used as a “2nd Army”, not as a spearhead “middle weight” force like they have been traditionally. Fighting this way had lead to a change in their training, which is why they needed to expand into Johnson Valley: to fight like the Army in massive land battles. The Marine’s Task Force Review is bringing them back to their amphibious roots, and therefore they no longer need to have a training area, which would be bigger than what the Army has.

In January, the Department of Defense outlined a new budget, which would severely cut the military back. This budget will also lead to military base closures. By NOT expanding into Johnson Valley, the DOD could save money and possibly other bases and jobs.

Johnson Valley has become an iconic area for OHV enthusiasts. People from all over the world make the pilgrimage to Johnson Valley to enjoy it with their families. For OHV enthusiasts, losing Johnson Valley would be comparable to golf losing Augusta or baseball losing Wrigley Field.

Johnson Valley is not just an OHV area. Many different types of people travel there for many different types of recreation.

·
Registered
132 Posts
How do I click the "like" button on Kurt's post?

My rep will certainly see a copy of this from my hand with a handshake.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Congrats on the win!! We will be on this for sure

Nick

·
Registered
327 Posts
:smokin::smokin::smokin::smokin:

ALL HAIL THE KING!
Ah hell, the King? Ill get together with some of us northern Cali folk and grab the pitch forks and the torches. Lol. It was really good to have some facts to present legislatures with.

Congrats on a great win in a great race!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Anyway to get some statistics from Hammerking/Ultra4 on number of visitors over the week of KOH?

How much $$$ went into the local economy just from services (environmetal services, tent/equipment rentals, value of swag,etc) ordered by the event organizers?

How many arm bands were sold over the week?

Maybe get some input from the local business and how their business were affected?

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Well done erik

i know you were gettin a little (maybe alot), frustrated
on the jam where Easy passed you, on that loose hill.
But want to throw out a shout to you and the 1st command!
We are going to make the "Beast of the East" endevour a straight up
political statement for saving Johnson Valley, and making East Coast
teams join in the fight to Save our Freedom to PUSUE HAPPINESS!
I'll be calling to talk about your win and spot on the hauler! CONGRATULATIONS
March 14 in w/ Sen. Dick Lugar R-Indiana- and Sen. Dan Coats R-Indiana

1 - 20 of 43 Posts