Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 20 of 832 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My First Gen Build Facelift

Well since everythings ordered and I'm no longer blowing :smokin: heres my build up.

I'm picking up my sky order tomorrow which consists of the following:
Toyota Chevy Spring Swap
Toy Hanger kit with U-Bolts and High Steer Kit
Rear U-Bolt Flip Kit
Toyota Front Shock Hoops
IFS Steering Box
IFS Box Mount Kit with Heavy Duty frame plates
Toyota Axle Armor front and rear

Trail Gear Order was made last night and consists of the following:
12" 5125 Shocks
Steering stabilizer
58" Sliders
Front and Rear Gussets

MISC Stuff purchased:
Marlin Knuckle rebuild kit and wheel bearings
New pads and rotors

The truck:
1980 Toyota pickup, 100,000 Miles. New Timing Chain throw Bearing, Clutch, Oil Pump, coil, Water Pump, Windshield and Seal, Slave and Master Cylinder, Distributor

And The build: Keep in mind, this is my first time building. Suggestions are welcome, but flaming not so much lol

Pulling off the knuckles to rebuild them, replacing the wheel bearings and installing new brakes. Since its my first build I'm trying to stay as clean and organized as possible.

·
Premium Member
1,437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Got the knuckles pulled off and ball joints cleaned. Knuckles hitthe clean tank and got the rest of my parts from the clean tank. Not much, but heres some pics to stare at.

I got the front axle pulled off just haven't snapped picks yet. Got finals this week and next, but after the 3rd I'll be hitting it hard.

·
Registered
105 Posts
nice 1st. gen i wish mine was as clean is tha:Dt

·
Registered
102 Posts
You might want to consider the knuckle bearings also, the races look scarred in the photos, (or maybe just dirt), and marlins heavy duty front axle seals.
The bigger front calipers and rotors and master cylinder makes a night and day difference in braking, and if you can afford it, now would be the time to do it.
What front springs are you going to run?
Ray.

·
Premium Member
1,437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
rebuild kit comes with new knuckle bearings. Races are getting removed for new ones and new rotors and pads are being installed. I was going to go with the FJ40 setup but Iabought stock rotors before I knew of the conversion and the re-stocking fee is horrible. So looks like they'll be upgraded in a later date.

I was running with no front brakes for about 3 months, so i'm sure they'll be better then before haha

·
Registered
210 Posts
nice looking truck....i have an 85 but this is my little brothers 83. i really like the 1st gen.

bobbed 14" locked, dual cases, recently converted to EFI. even has a Jena Jameson antenna dancer.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Welcome to the club, 1st Gen's are the shit!!!

I'd change the knuckle bearings while you have it torn down, as well as Marlin's upgraded inner axle seals. You can also cut a slot in the brake dust shield so you can remove it from the brake line. Makes life a little easier. Great trucks, more personality than the 84-85's( IMO). You might want to get some tires with all that lift you got comin':D

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
Ok mister clean and orginized:girly: now that your stuffs on hold come clean and orginized my mess.

No really. Nice truck hope you don't cut it up to bad. Keep the pics coming and good luck with it:beer::beer:

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
You almost have to trim the leading edge of the front fenders under the marker lights, as well as the front valance. Looks a lot better trimmed with the bumper and improves the approach angle.

From the list of parts he has comin', he's definetly going to wheel' it!! A couple of Yota purists cried when I cut up my SR-5, but it's my truck and I use it how I want. I keep mine looking nice and try not to kill it, but shit happens when you wheel!!

·
Premium Member
1,437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
rebuild kit comes with new knuckle bearings.
Why have a truck if you not going to use it? Whats the fun of having it sit in the garage and whats the fun of driving this thing on the street? Nothing. I'm not going competition crazy. I'm just going 3-4" higher. 33" tires. Nothing crazy. The truck still has its old school factor, just ten times cooler and 10 times more capable of wheelin.
If you don't want me to wheel it, send me a new tacome with a lift kit on it and I'll trade ya :D

Anyways, I went to sky's today and picked up my parts.Don't know what half this stuff is, but I'm sure I'll figure it out haha I'm a noob :confused: :D. Enjoy the pics

UPS called me and my Trail Gear order will be here tomorrow. Can't wait to tackle this

·
Premium Member
1,437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
It was custom made for the truck. Well it appears that way anyways lol. I've taken it off and plan to go with a tube front bumper. It will be for sale. But i'm sure shipping is a PITA for it.

·
Banned
10,335 Posts
As much as I hate to say this.... that is one clean first gen, and I would be tempted not to take a torch to it either. That being said, I think I would be to tempted to make it into a crawler also.:D

Can't wait to see mo progress on this one.:grinpimp:

1 - 20 of 832 Posts