Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 20 of 181 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
First off, I want to say thanks for all the great research I've been able to get off the site in the past year.

Now for a little background, I've got a 93 YJ with 4" pro-crap lift, 3" body and 33" Buckshots. For the past 4 years I haven't been able to work on my jeep since I was in the Navy and didn't have the tools or time to work on it.
I finished my enlistment earlier this year and decided to go back to college this fall. I enrolled in the Auto Body course at ASU and on the first day of school, my instructor told us we could bring in one project vehicle to work on, I had my jeep on a trailer and down there a week later. That was in August so I'll do my best to try and catch everyone up.

The plans for now:
-Tube Fenders
-Comp Corners
-Homemade Rocker Panels/Rock Sliders
-Roll on bedliner in Tub
-Fix rotted out windshield frame
-CJ Tailgate
-Remove Body Lift
-Repaint

Plans for the Future:
-Replace POS AX-15 Transmission to a NP435
-Replace transfercase to NP205
-Do a spring over lift
-Find a 14 Bolt/Dana 60 rearend
-Find a Dana 60 (or anything stronger than a dana 30) front
-Fuel Cell
-New roll cage
-New Seats
-Storage box in rear
-Anything else that comes up

Ok now for some pics....

On the trailer about to take it down to school

First Day in the Shop- Demo DAY

Found the rust

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
And the pics keep coming

Got the CJ Tailgate in

Made some brackets for the tailgate cables to attach to and also help it seal againts the tub

Made a plate out of 3/16 metal to match the thickness of the corners and to help support the tail gate... Whatcha think... I've got more pics of this if you want to see them.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
More and More Pics

Got some tubing for a local fab shop in town, had two tubes bent and 4 support tubes notched. Was so excited when I got them that i forgot to take pics and just went straight to welding them on.

This is my first time welding on something besides scrap metal... I guess I did ok....

Well, That is pretty much what has been done up to today. If you got any ideas or any help on what I may be doing wrong, I would gladly appreciate it.

Oh yeah, hopefully this will be my new tow rig (wife's daily driver) if I can ever get the stealership to come down on the price....

·
Registered
14,027 Posts
Nice build can I have your shifter bracket for the NP-231 that mounts on the AX-15 ?

Also get an 8.8 out of a 1996 or newer crown vic police or a MK VIII It's wider than the Ranger 31 spline with disk brakes. Also Grandma needs a new rear end is better at the U-pull it Than "I'm modding my JEEP!"

I got mine for $165 with rotors in great shape!

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Thanks everyone for looking, as far as risizing the pics, you should be able to click on them and they will open a new window and be bigger. I just bought the red star this morning, so if there are certain pics you want bigger just let me know and I'll try and post them.

<update- pics should be better now>

Alfred, I thought about going with the 8.8 but will it be big enough to turn 40" tires with out breaking stuff left and right?

·
Registered
5,569 Posts
Since you did the comp cut...you are gonna stretch the wheelbase now.....right???

Looks like a good start. Also I hope you are not gonna spend too much time on the body work, chances are you will ding it up the first time you go out. And i know you spend the ching on the 3/16" rockers, but if you can afford it, you really should consider 1/4".

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Since you did the comp cut...you are gonna stretch the wheelbase now.....right???

Looks like a good start. Also I hope you are not gonna spend too much time on the body work, chances are you will ding it up the first time you go out. And i know you spend the ching on the 3/16" rockers, but if you can afford it, you really should consider 1/4".

Yeah, i plan on stretching it once I get it home to my shop. For the rockers though, I just got some scrap metal laying around at work for free and had them bent. The only thing I had to buy was the tubing.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Looks like a good start. And you get credits? nice.

I don't think you'll have any trouble with 3/16" rockers. I've landed pretty hard on mine many times with no damage to date.

btw, you included the poster shot for why people say a 3" bl is bad.

http://img80.imageshack.us/my.php?image=p9050081ov4.jpg
Yeah, I'm getting credits for it (I can't believe it either, I lucked out). I'm trying to finish out my Associates Degree in Applied Science. As for the body lift, it was already on the Jeep when I bought it and I always wanted to take it off, just never had the time or was too lazy.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Update

Didn't get much done this Friday. Started working on the windshield frame to repair some of the rusted out spots. I cut a piece of filler metel up at work a couple days ago to use on the ws frame. Grinded down and cleaned up one of the smaller spots to be repaired and cut the filler metal to length. Put a couple of tack welds on both sides to see how it looked and then filled it in with a good bead on. After that just grinded down the welds and this is how it turned out....

Just a pic of me welding...

Started working on the larger area after i got done with this, but wasn't able to finish cause I had to leave for work at 11.... Oh well, I'll just finish up on monday.

·
Registered
14,027 Posts
Thanks everyone for looking, as far as risizing the pics, you should be able to click on them and they will open a new window and be bigger. I just bought the red star this morning, so if there are certain pics you want bigger just let me know and I'll try and post them.

<update- pics should be better now>

Alfred, I thought about going with the 8.8 but will it be big enough to turn 40" tires with out breaking stuff left and right?
Get bigger Axles. now about that shifter for the transfer case.....:D AFTER you swap out the NP231

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
So I didn't get much done today. I figured that when I went in this morning I would just be able to grind down the welds that I did on friday and get the windshield frame ready for primer and paint. Long story short, I found just a little spot of rust on the ws frame that I thought was surface rust. Grinded on it for a little bit and it became a pretty good size hole.

Here is a pic of it after I started doing some welds to fill in the hole.

After about 20-30 mins of welding and grinding on the hole, this is how it came out... I'm pretty happy with it...

So I still have some more grinding and prep work to be done before it's ready for primer and paint. But I'll be at school all day tomorrow (don't have to go into work), so maybe i'll be able to get some crap done finally.

Here is just another pic of what is left to do.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Didn't get much done today... Finished grinding down the welds on the windshield frame and knocked some surface rust off some other spots on it... I'm going use some seam sealer on the front where I welded to help water proof it---hopefully that works... Besides that I repaired some spots on the Jeep that had been damaged a couple years ago. I had one of the body mount bolts come through the bottom of the tub and a couple more body mounts that had been broken through. So I just cut some plates and welded some nuts on top of them to use as the body mounts... Sry but didn't take any pics today...

·
Registered
73 Posts
Alfred an 8.8 out of a Crown Vic would be a link type suspension and thinner axle tubes. The better Setup would be out of an explorer with or without disc brakes as long as it has 31 splines. Check the tag on the diff with your local parts dept. Also an older model with drum brakes can be made to work with the factory YJ rear brake cables. Ask me how.

1 - 20 of 181 Posts