Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok first a little background. The warehouse manager in our new warehouse wanted to get rid of one of our old air compressors. It kept blowing breakers in our new warehouse every time he plugged it in. It is a full size, 30 gallon, 2hp Dayton Speedaire and was pretty new. In our old warehouse it got real minimal duty over the years that we used it. It was used mainly by our shipping guys to fill up those huge air pillows to fill up space in shipping containers for over seas shipping.

Anyway I got him to agree that I could have it, and he even helped lift the heavy sucker into the Bronco last week. So I get it home and think that all I will probably need to do is score a new motor and I will have new compressor. Saturday rolls around and I take the compressor apart in my Bronco so I can get it down the stairs to my work area. I take a look at the motor and check out the tag on it. It says, 115/230 volts, 24/12 amps. Hmmm plug a 24 amp motor into a 15 amp service and I bet you pop breakers when it kicks on.

Allright so I probably don' t need to score a motor. Get the sucker carried down into my dungeon and start cleaning it up. Let me back up a bit, I live on the third story of this place and my dungeon is down a flight of stairs. Hardly any power down there, just one 110v outlet and two lights. So when I need serious power I have this 50' cord I drop down the stairwell and plug into the dryer service. So this is where the fun begins. I want to run the compressor off of 230v so I want to build a short extension cord with an on/off switch and a cord for the compressor that is about 6 feet long.

Then the cluster starts. Went to Lowes four times on Saturday and two times on Sunday getting parts for a short 20' extension cord. I have the long one that comes down from my laundry room to the basement but I wanted a little big longer one with a switch on it so I thought that it would be easy to hash one out. Silly me.

Went to Lowes when they opened, actually found a guy at the electrical section who knew not only what parts they had but had some better suggestions to make the cord come up to "code". Got all the parts that I thought that I would need and checked out. The sales girl read the wrong number on the 10-3 extension cable so I got charged less than 1/2 on that. So then I get home and start to build the cord.

Ooops at the end of the original "long" cord I used a 50 amp socket as opposed to the 30 amp dryer socket, the 50 amp is what is on the end of the welder. So another trip back to Lowes for a 50 amp socket. Get back home and discover that the plugs I originally bought were 30 amp dryer plugs, and of course I had opened the bags and threw the bags/instruction sheets away already.

So back to Lowes to get 50 amp plugs, one for the extension cord and one for the air compressor. Get back home and start building the cords. Pop open one of the plug bags and find out that the plug had cracked in half during manufacture. Go back to Lowes and pick up their last 50 amp plug. Had to go to Aura's Saturday night for some reason so that was that for Saturday.

Sunday comes around and find out that one of the 50 amp plugs I grabbed was actually a 30 amp plug. Back to Lowes and find out that they are out of my plugs. Ended up buying a new wire stripper and some other junk. Get home and start working. I needed to go to Ace hardware to pick up some stuff so I grabbed what I thought was the right v-belt. Get home and find out that it is about 4" too long but at least I have the right count of sockets and plugs that I need. Then find out that I cannot find my stash of 3/8" nuts/bolts/washers. End back at Lowes and bought a ton of 3/8" hardware. I still need to stop at Ace this evening and try to figure out the right v-belt. All in all it would have probably been cheaper to buy a new compressor.

When they assembled the air compressor they used 1/4" x 20tpi hardware. Part of the problem on the compressor was that nothing fit right and would vibrate apart. I am hoping that by using the right hardware that fixes some of the issues. By the way I found my stash of 3/8" hardware, it was in the jeep. That and I have enough spare plugs/sockets to build at least one more 30 amp dryer style extension cord.


So if all goes well I should have a working compressor by Wednesday night. I have to work late tonight and have an errand to do Tuesday night.

dc
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well after another 5 trips to Ace Hardware trying to find the right size v-belt (I moved the location of the motor) it works like a champ! And it is pretty quiet to boot. I fired it up last night and charged the 30 gallon tank in no time. It looks like the water drain leaks a little so I will have to replace the petcock but other than that it is fine. Nice thing about this compressor is that the pump only spins at around 775 (calculated) rpm so it is pretty quiet.

dc
 
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Top