Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my rear driveshaft fell off today.....and i have no idea why. Here's the story:

I had been driving for like 15 minutes on the freeway at 70 mph with no problems, when my speedometer went crazy and then died. Right before my speedometer died, REALLY heavy vibrations started up. So i take the next offramp. As soon as i slow down, i hear and feel something fall. I then pull over to the shoulder on the offramp. I look and there is my driveshaft, connected only to my rear 3rd. I took it off and drove home in 4wd with no probs. Im just wondering why it fell off. Its not too short or anything.....

Luck is just another 4 letter word.............

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
sorry about the pics, ill work on those. btw, none of the 4 bolts holding the driveshaft to the tcase were loose. the whole tcase flange was pulled off, so maybe that nut was loose....but i dunno....:confused:

I had a 14mm wrench....:flipoff2: :flipoff2:

·
Banned
10,335 Posts
HA HA BWAHAHAHAHA... Happened to me to once, had to rob some the other flange to get it out of the trail! Get some new bolts and forget about it!:flipoff2:

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
you headlight fluid was low....wich caused the check pull stick to fall into the tire chamber causing a vibration through the domaflatchy option in turn loosening the nut on the hub gasked making the long shaft thingy fall onto the t-case making the flange nut come loose which probably hit you in the head thats why your asking such a stupid ass question.

·
Wicked Raciest !
17,738 Posts
You are lucky, I was in a buddy's 54 Ford drag car going down the street when he power shifted into 3rd gear, the next thing I knew we were sliding down the road on the top. D-shaft broke at the front u-joint dropped and pole valuted us on to our top!! Neither one of us was hurt bad because of the roll cage and he had on a 5-point and I had on a lap belt!!!!! Learn how to stake your flange nuts better!!!!:D

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
yea, i was thinking on the way home about if that had happened. pretty scary shit. :flipoff2: :eek:

btw, im still looking for any *real* advice.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
3Wheel_Drive said:
yea, i was thinking on the way home about if that had happened. pretty scary shit. :flipoff2: :eek:

ok let me spell it out for you if your really that stupid: the nut came loose! next time tighten it more or use a little lock tight:rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
oh and dont ask why the nut came loose...some things just happen just like if someone is dumb enough to not know why a flange came off when the nut fell off he shouldn't be driving.:flipoff2:

·
Wicked Raciest !
17,738 Posts
3Wheel_Drive said:
I gave you part of it Learn how to stake your flange nuts better!!!! Also torque to proper specs, torque specs are there for a reason not just to get you to buy a torque wrench, also put some RTV on the splines to stop leaks, Also use lok-tite on the threads, even though you should not need it if it torqued to the proper spec and the nut is staked right!!!! Any more questions!!!!:D

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
Hay the same thing happened to me but I caught it before it fell off. Do you have driveline Vibration? and where all the lock washer still on? and did you get and vibration the day before or at anytime when you where driving before it fell off? I felt mine it was going CRAZY I though the truck was falling apart. It was only on by 2 bolts and nuts. They were just about ready to come off. keep a eye on everything. Peace

·
Premium Member
2,115 Posts
4runninghank said:
Hay the same thing happened to me but I caught it before it fell off. Do you have driveline Vibration? and where all the lock washer still on? and did you get and vibration the day before or at anytime when you where driving before it fell off? I felt mine it was going CRAZY I though the truck was falling apart. It was only on by 2 bolts and nuts. They were just about ready to come off. keep a eye on everything. Peace
damn dude....r u retarded too???? go back and read the post...........the whole damn flange fell off. if you guys cant even keep your driveshafts on your trucks on the street then you should go directly to the DMV and give them your license.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks for the help and the flaming.:flipoff2: I am glad i can just buy the new parts, bolt them up, *torq them down*, and be good to go again. Im also really happy that i didn't end up on my roof.:rolleyes::flipoff2:

BTW, anyone know how much a new flange and the nut and stuff will cost? I hope their not that much $$$.

I hate bein broke.....:rolleyes:

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks for the help and the flaming.:flipoff2: I am glad i can just buy the new parts, bolt them up, *torq them down*, and be good to go again. Im also really happy that i didn't end up on my roof.:rolleyes::flipoff2:

BTW, anyone know how much a new flange and the nut and stuff will cost? I hope their not that much $$$.

I hate bein broke.....:rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 64 Posts