Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My hauler has 6014 Halogen bulbs in it that work ...but they suck compared to my DD which have modern Xenon lighting (--or maybe my old eyes are getting tired? :eek: )

So what are my options for upgrades? HID conversion or ???

·
Registered
14,457 Posts
Replace them with any of the enclosures that allow you to use H4 bulbs.

·
Registered
786 Posts
if you think your 1989 truck lights suck then you should see my 1952 truck lights :shaking: :flipoff2:
(one of the sealed beam is actually stamped 1954)

Replace them with any of the enclosures that allow you to use H4 bulbs.
x2

there are H4 inserts available to replace the standard 7" sealed beams
thats what i plan to use eventually
i still have a box of euro import 55W/100W H4 bulps laying around somewhere
obviously illegal ... but i dont care for two reasons;
i use my high beams with care & respect to others and there is just no way that i can make any additional aux driving lights look right on my old truck

what i do plan to add is a LED "Amber plow" along the lower edge of the bumper like this Pete;

that should give me some nice close range illumination and better visibility so that no texting retard can say he didnt see me approaching :flipoff2:

...besides that i just like the look :smokin:

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So have these kits improved any over the past few years? I probably would purchase the round 7" Bi-Xenon units that are all over eBay unless someone suggests differently. Most kits are under $75 shipped, and these have glass lens.

I am also reading that only using the 6000k units pretty much allows 'one to escape the complaining LEOs as they are not as "blinding". Any truth in this?

·
Registered
14,457 Posts
I've had a set of the Hella inserts on my Toyota with 55/100W bulbs in them for twenty years now. As RB says, if you use them with respect they aren't an issue.

·
Registered
786 Posts
And run them off of relays triggered by the switch in the cab.
:D ... that is exactly how i already wired my truck;
heavy gauge (short) leads to relays that are close to the headlights ...
with light gauge trigger wires going to the light switch
keeps the voltage drop to a minimum ;)

·
Registered
407 Posts
Glad, I saw this thread. My 1952 truck wasn't lucky enough to make it without broken headlights. I started collecting parts for wiring and have been wondering what to replace the headlights with, was hoping to find some of the military LED units for cheap, but they are still way too high.

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
Those military LEDs are cheaper than the commercially available ones, but the problem is they are 24v.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
And run them off of relays triggered by the switch in the cab.
Well, this ( 7 034 Chrome Round Headlights H4 Conversion Chevy Ford GMC HID Xenon 6K 6000K CB | eBay ) is what I went with. Even with 2nd day delivery it was under $70. For that amount I will chance it to see if they make any improvement. I'll make a follow-up post when they arrive and we get them installed.

Regarding the HID amperage requirements vs. 6014 bulbs, I quickly researched this early on but maybe I missed something. Evidently the stock 6014 halogen 7" round bulbs will pull approximately 4-5 amps each on hi-beam whereas the HID conversion kit ballasts can have a momentary spike of up to 20 amps but those bulbs generally draw 3 - 3½ amps each. Therefore, as I understand it, they are claiming the HIDs use less amperage than the halogen bulbs do. Also, most sites I read said the stock headlight switch (which has a breaker inside) can easily withstand this momentary high amp power surge. I was thinking relays were needed in high amperage draw situations. Am I missing something and are the relays really needed?

·
Registered
501 Posts
I am also reading that only using the 6000k units pretty much allows 'one to escape the complaining LEOs as they are not as "blinding". Any truth in this?
I have 35w 4500K HIDs in my pickup. 4 years and 90 some thousand miles and not one problem from police or others. Incredibly bright, very crisp white light. They have no bluish tint to them like some that instantly make it noticeable that they are aftermarket lights. Iirc 4300k is the temp rating most OEM car's use, less then that can appear yellow, once you get past 5k the higher temps each have more blue tint to them.

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
A true HID needs to be used with a projector, otherwise you're just blinding people. Kinda hard to retrofit a projector into those bulbs.

·
Premium Member
4,524 Posts
Don't drop HID bulbs into reflector housings that are not meant for them. It's the wrong solution all around; HIDs generate light differently (all over the bulb, not just at the filament) and need a projector lense to put that light where it belongs.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Three of my rigs have 7" headlights and they all run Hella conversion headlights. I also run relays for headlights on any older rig, even without conversion lights it can make a large difference when they actually see full voltage.

http://www.amazon.com/HELLA-002395801-Halogen-Conversion-Headlamp/dp/B001G72SKQ

They are ECE compliant and Canadian legal, but technically not DOT legal. My guess is they didn't spend the cash to get them certified as they are awesome. With the standard H4 60/55w bulb they come with I've noticed a great light cutoff, not blinding to other drivers, very nice road coverage, and a slight flare to the right ditch. The lens is a much flatter than a regular sealed beam, but it still fits the look (wouldn't be a big deal on your truck anyways.)

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Don't drop HID bulbs into reflector housings that are not meant for them. It's the wrong solution all around; HIDs generate light differently (all over the bulb, not just at the filament) and need a projector lense to put that light where it belongs.
:D Where were all you guys yesterday with this advice before I purchased them?? :shaking:

Since they are bought, shipped, and I have the tracking number, I will just go with them and at least give them a try. Almost every weekend I am driving home from the races after midnite, ...and on 2-lane backroads, I cannot help but think that these will be better than what I have even if I need to buy smaller bulbs. I guess I'll judge the success by how many on-coming drivers flash their lights at me.

·
Not a Wenzelite
36,696 Posts
:D Where were all you guys yesterday with this advice before I purchased them?? :shaking:

Since they are bought, shipped, and I have the tracking number, I will just go with them and at least give them a try. Almost every weekend I am driving home from the races after midnite, ...and on 2-lane backroads, I cannot help but think that these will be better than what I have even if I need to buy smaller bulbs. I guess I'll judge the success by how many on-coming drivers flash their lights at me.

Check out the photos in the link I posted above.

Install your lamps and then shoot them on your garage door. Is there an upper cutoff line? If it's dark above the line, aim your headlights properly so this line is below the windshield of oncoming cars. You shouldn't get flashed.

If there's a lot of light spill above that line, you might need a different housing.

·
Premium Member
4,524 Posts
If there's a lot of light spill above that line, you might need a different housing.
This.

And, if the light below that line is a giantfuckingmess instead of a uniform pool of illumination, different housings will get you better usable light.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
It's been posted many times before...
I do agree it HAS been posted many times here ...and everywhere else too. Some sites complain about them & other sites praise them.

In my business, we align headlights on vintage vehicles so we already have a 25' setback area just for this procedure. I will also be quick to say my experience over the years has been, that often times the neysayers are folks that are giving advice based off of hearsay and not actual first-hand experiences where they can report facts. Not necessarily saying this is the case here, but I am a big boy who can afford to take a chance and waste $75.00 if this kit does not meet my expectations however with that said, many things I enjoy today would not be a reality if I listened to others advice and did not follow thru with my own wishes.

As far as discussing scattered light, what I presently have is old halogen bulbs that do not project much light. I looked at several kits like this 5+ years ago and the lens were plastic and shaped similar to a 6014 headlight lens. Now I read the lens are glass that reportedly are specifically shaped to help focus the light better. Therefore in my mind, it is feasible that advancements have been made with these, --however, like I said above, if the kit does not meet my expectation I will have no problem whatsoever throwing it in the trash can. :rolleyes: On the flip side, I might just be another one of those people who are happy with their conversion. :p

1 - 20 of 21 Posts