Pirate 4x4 banner

21 - 40 of 127 Posts

·
Premium Member
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #21 (Edited)
And the rear... Most all of the brackets and tabs came from Ballistic, before things got ugly. The rear truss/cover is BTF, Ballistic didn't have one for a 44 at that particular time. I never had an issue with Ballistic btw, they always came through.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #23 (Edited)
Thanks Alien!

No updates in a while, but here we are. FINALLY gassed up the Fox 2.0's and got it standing on its own.

Had a buddy bend the NP 435 shifter over to the right with some heat

Painted the tub, and ran back through the wiring one more time, fired it up just to hear it run for a second.

Ran the air line to the ARB in the front.

I'm now working on doubling the firewall panels with some 12ga to support the brake/clutch pedal set, and the ARB compressor on the right firewall

I have a cage planned out, it is in the near future.

·
Premium Member
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #25 (Edited)
I wanted to keep the dash simple, no aftermarket gauges. The idiot lights are good enough. I found a couple of decals for the shift pattern of the 435 and twin stick 20, they may help another driver at some point. ARB switches cut into the center of dash.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
A few more shots for now. There is no new tech on this rig, just things that have all been done before. And, BTW, it was a rust bucket, I didn't trash a show car to build this. I have wasted a lot of precious time on bondo work and paint.

Attachments

·
Registered
766 Posts
good job man! i love this thing, keep the updates coming!

·
Premium Member
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #29 (Edited)
a weekend plan

I have a "free" weekend coming up. Free, meaning no wife or kids. I plan on burning the candle at both ends.

Left to do...

Bend main hoops for cage.
Mount battery somewhere logical.
Tidy up wiring under dash, and test fire the engine.
Install fuel system (for the last time)
Fill cooling system and get the damn thing running.

It already runs by spraying carb cleaner in the intake, just needs a real fuel supply. I am using the in-tank pump from the Jimmy, and a lot of push-on -AN hose and fittings.

Its Monday and I'm already gearing up for the next weekend. Just finished loading to haul it down to the shop (I work on it half the time at home, half the time at the shop) It has really been a pain in the ass doing that. If I forget one thing at either location, I'm so screwed.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #31 (Edited)
Yep, Craig, here we go

This thing sits a LOT between progress surges, that sucks. I finally was able to get with it last weekend and do some serious wiring corrections/connections.

Tidied up a lot of "bird nest" wiring I had going on. Soldered and heat shrunk all possible connections, and terminal ends on the rest. I also used a couple pre-wired weather pack connectors to make the whole rig a little more serviceable.

Then ran into a slight disappointment. The original fuel tank I had spent so much time on hack-fabbing, leaked. Not where I did my work, but at one of the factory seams. I had even acid washed it and fuel paint coated it. I had 6 months to cure, and still leaked.

I had installed the donor Jimmy fuel in tank pump into the top of the Willys tank. It looked great, although I worried about fuel starvation on climbs. Soooo, now I bought a new, stock location tank, that will gravity feed a ford e2000 fuel pump. I will have to allow for a return line, and a vent. Will post some pics tomorrow.

Any thoughts on allowing the fuel return to be "t'd" in on the gravity fed side of the pump? Think about it.

·
old school idiot
1,594 Posts
when i did mine i was told its not a good idea to return to the suction side of the pump, cavatation i think. i have always made a different return bung in the tanks i build. takes longer on my part but the factory put a lot of engineering into in, who am i to reinvent the wheel

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
when i did mine i was told its not a good idea to return to the suction side of the pump, cavatation i think. i have always made a different return bung in the tanks i build. takes longer on my part but the factory put a lot of engineering into in, who am i to reinvent the wheel
x2. Your pump will then be pumping a gas/air mix, not good for engine performance or pump life.

Not a big fan of the comp cut but I do have to say you have done a nice job on your Flatty and it looks good.

·
Premium Member
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Thanks for the input. I'm on it, with a different return. The stock tank has a 3/8 npt thread for a drain, which will be the gravity feed for the pump. Any reason not to use the factory fuel line outlet for the return back into the tank? The fuel rail is still way higher than the original fuel outlet in the bottom of the tank. And I still have to install the anti spill rollover valve in the top of the tank.

As far as the comp cut, and all of it, I've gone back and forth on the whole thing, and could one day shorten links, back toward a shorter w/b, and a more stockish look if need be. I could graft the quarters back in too. For now, it should climb pretty well as it sits.

It started out as a restoration, and ended up like this. I'm happy with it for now..

·
Premium Member
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #39 (Edited)
With much hesitation, (not wanting to F up), I busted out the JD2 32 and bent my first piece of multi bend tubing (as in, I've never done this before), to fit in a certain dimension. It wasn't bad. Had to follow instructions, that was the worst part.

Attachments

21 - 40 of 127 Posts