Pirate 4x4 banner

41 - 60 of 127 Posts

·
Registered
11,078 Posts
I would say ditch it and eliminate one more flex/slop point.

·
Premium Member
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #45 (Edited)
Thanks Shilohsho. Got the other side bent this morning. Much respect to those that do tube work. Especially by yourself. Handling a long piece of tubing that is bent, and having to go in and out of the bender to tweak it just a little is a job. I feel pretty satisfied getting the second one bent, I used the first one as a template.

Couple of random photos from along the way

Attachments

·
Premium Member
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #47 (Edited)
This is one of the cages I'm using for inspiration. Great ideas on this one. I can honestly say that my rig is a hodge-podge of ideas borrowed off of Pirate. I'm on here almost daily, started lurking back in '06.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
I got a little more done this weekend, not finished, but making progress. The cage is not finished, still have some more to go.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Looking good. Make sure to get your harness bar set at the right height. The one in the red TJ you posted is too low. It may not matter going slow, but in case you were bombing around you'd be covered.

·
Premium Member
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
"Looking good. Make sure to get your harness bar set at the right height. The one in the red TJ you posted is too low. It may not matter going slow, but in case you were bombing around you'd be covered."

Thanks on that, I'm actually waiting on the PRP'S to show up so I can figure out how I'm going to situate them. Lots of room to screw up, and if anyone can, I sure can.

·
Premium Member
1,153 Posts
I love the look of this rig. Very nice work!

I'm thinking of reworking my front cage work so I can reinstall my windshield again. Have you tied the cage into the front end tube work? If so, can you get a detail pic or two?

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Thanks on that, I'm actually waiting on the PRP'S to show up so I can figure out how I'm going to situate them. Lots of room to screw up, and if anyone can, I sure can.
I'm the same way. My problem is that I get in a hurry and overlook really simple things sometimes.

The PRPs will look good in there!

·
Premium Member
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #54 (Edited)
Thanks nofender, and Craig, on the cage tie in, I think I am going to have to come off the inside flange at the firewall, to a tube with a threaded insert (at the bottom) where it will intersect with the "A". I guess. It's all new to me. As it sits, the cage will only lift straight up and out. No tilting allowed.

·
Premium Member
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
Not much progress since last post. I did order a pair of grips for my grab bar. The grab bar tubing is actually what's left of the lower part of my steering column shaft. 16" wide. Fiat 600 rolled in today for a water pump.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,261 Posts
Anymore pics of that 600?

·
256OffRoad
62 Posts
I know this Jeep!

This is one of the cages I'm using for inspiration. Great ideas on this one. I can honestly say that my rig is a hodge-podge of ideas borrowed off of Pirate. I'm on here almost daily, started lurking back in '06.
I know the guy that did this Jeep - he did it in a little shop down the street from my house...

He's now in Birmingham area working for Gilbert's Automotive doing fab work.

·
Premium Member
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
A milestone today. Got it running on its own. And I'm chiseling away at the brake and clutch pedal set. All I had was some two-stroke premix laying around, so.. It runs with a little smoke. Won't hurt a thing, just enough to fill the lines, tank is still dry.

I still need to weld the fuel return into the new tank, didn't want fuel in it yet.

·
Premium Member
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #60 (Edited)
Uh oh! In all my wisdom I am just realizing that a VSS might just be important. I thought I could get away without it, being that I got away from an automatic tranny. In grounding the p/n wire, does the computer not go into a "drive map" or does it.

Does it still need to see VSS? I stumbled up on this topic last night on here. Mieser? MrWillys?

41 - 60 of 127 Posts