Pirate 4x4 banner

21 - 40 of 443 Posts

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Started mocking up the motor and trans in the frame. I was going to try and use some parts I already had, big aluminum radiator and electric fan that where in my Scrambler at one time and it is going to put the motor to far back to have a decent length rear driveshaft. I may be able to use the radiator but the fan is just way to thick.

Still no reply from D.D. Machine on my shifter order...

·
Registered
218 Posts
It looks like the rear axle is narrower than the front, just an optical illusion?

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Front axle should be 60.5" and the rear should be 56". I have not verified these numbers, but they where on the internet so must be accurate. :homer:

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Discussion Starter #26

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Discussion Starter #27 (Edited)
I had to pull the jeep apart to make room for a quick axle swap on the White YJ. What that means is I get the old rims and tires and the Detroit and RCV shafts out of the front axle! What it also means is that it was a perfect time to finsh up the frame.

·
Registered
11,073 Posts
Any progress on this? I would like to see the powertrain mocked up....I have my own selfish reasons :)

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
I finally have some progress to show.

First time out of the garage.

The tub still needs to be moved back 1/2" and it does not have any weight in it right now so I think it will sit at least 2" lower in the front and 1" lower in the rear when it is all together.

The main reason to get it all together was to take it to a friends Willys event in Union Mills MD on Sunday. Very nice little family event.

http://www.jeepchasm.com/

·
Registered
37 Posts
Could you show how you did the bolts instead of the ubolt by the front axle housing? I am doing the same thing on my wifes cj7, xj dana 30, xj 8.25 rear and 4.0 ax-15 231 swap. I love your frame with the speed holes. Very nice

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Pictures from the show today.

Original Warn hubs!

With the 3b windshield frame I picked up at the show.

20'' to the bottom of the frame and 68 1/2 to the top of the windshield frame.

·
Premium Member
1,553 Posts
love it !
it has a nice stance and the 8274 looks perfect recesed into the frame.

·
Registered
11,073 Posts
NICE!!!!!

I love the 3b windshield. I wonder if its shorter than my MB windshield. I think they are about the same....

What size are those KM2's? 8" wide wheels?

·
Registered
519 Posts
NICE!!!!!

I love the 3b windshield. I wonder if its shorter than my MB windshield. I think they are about the same....

What size are those KM2's? 8" wide wheels?
3B windshield should be a couple inches shorter than the M38 windshield.

Thie pic of you sitting in it on the trailer looks awesome, but you better get some seats with virtually no bottom cushion if you're going to run that 3B windshield.

These pictures make me want to work on my "flatty" some more.

·
Registered
11,073 Posts
That mod for using using the XJ/TJ width front end with the spring pad shoved all the way over is TRICK! Where you able to get the spring pad over enough to use a factory spring center to center width? A drivers drop high pinion diff could help out in a lot of situations. With a flipped D300 the sump is on the top and might have more clearance flipped. It will be interesting to see how stuffed you are able to get your TH350/D300 combo. I would think the automatic would be less tall than an old granny hand shaker.

Great build, keep it up! I'm totally jealous yours is rolling around already!!

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
I'm really liking the 3b windshield too, always wanted to try something like that. I'm curious.... If you get a chance, could you measure from the cowl to the top of the windshield? Im curious how it compares to an MB/GPW.

21 - 40 of 443 Posts