Pirate 4x4 banner

41 - 60 of 443 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
I'm loving this build. Your attention to detail is unreal. I have always loved your scrambler from the UA. When I bought my 46 cj2a it had a 3b windshield with it. I was going to sale but after seeing yours I'm digging it. Keep up the good work and keep the pics coming.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Discussion Starter #42 (Edited)
3B windshield should be a couple inches shorter than the M38 windshield.

Thie pic of you sitting in it on the trailer looks awesome, but you better get some seats with virtually no bottom cushion if you're going to run that 3B windshield.

These pictures make me want to work on my "flatty" some more.
I should have my low back Corbeau seats that I got from Eric at kNOw where 2 Jeep in a few weeks. I ordered them in Tan. I hope they dont look out of place with the OD tub.

http://www.knowwhere2jeep.com/interior/corbeau-baja-low-back-seat.html

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
That mod for using using the XJ/TJ width front end with the spring pad shoved all the way over is TRICK! Where you able to get the spring pad over enough to use a factory spring center to center width? A drivers drop high pinion diff could help out in a lot of situations. With a flipped D300 the sump is on the top and might have more clearance flipped. It will be interesting to see how stuffed you are able to get your TH350/D300 combo. I would think the automatic would be less tall than an old granny hand shaker.

Great build, keep it up! I'm totally jealous yours is rolling around already!!
The spring perch spacing should be very close to stock CJ. It would have been easier if I would have stayed with the narrow spring though. I already had a few sets of the YJ 2.5 lift springs so it made the decision easy.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
I'm really liking the 3b windshield too, always wanted to try something like that. I'm curious.... If you get a chance, could you measure from the cowl to the top of the windshield? Im curious how it compares to an MB/GPW.
It will be a little bit before I can get the measurements of the windshield frame. Jeep is wrapped up tight sitting on the trailer waiting for me to get some other projects wrapped up.

From the bottom of the frame to the top of the windshield is 48.5". I hope that helps for now.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
One more thing.

Mike @ Appalachian Offroad put together my HP D30 with a pile of used parts I had.

Junkyard 4.10's with the used Detroit and RCV shafts that where in the White YJ.

I also finally got a reply from Duffy at DD Machine about my shifters. Paperwork got misfiled? We will see how it goes from here on that...

·
Registered
11,073 Posts
Dang it, stop building so fast! I'm never going to get done first now....

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
First comp is in beginning of May and I would like to have it done the by April first so I can get some seat time and tags on it just to work the bugs out. I would be further along if I had my t-case shifters and a body tub that was mine. Those are my big holdups right now. That and I need to ask my boss for a raise. :D

·
Registered
11,073 Posts
Same general timeline for me. I have a mid-march shakedown run in Moab with friends from up north planned. Then EJS in the first week of April.

I will be really happy when mine just moves around under its own power again. I don't think I will have a lot of the more expensive stuff done like lockers...I still have enough stuff to do for SURE!

All that is still 4+ months away right :)

·
Registered
227 Posts
I also finally got a reply from Duffy at DD Machine about my shifters. Paperwork got misfiled? We will see how it goes from here on that...
Cough Cough Bullshit Cough Cough:mad3:
I hope they come soon, oh, and good luck with that raise from the boss. hope it goes better for you that it did me!

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
I have a line on a M38 tub for $300 that it is 3 to 4 hours south from me. I can wait another month or two and get a early CJ2a tub for free. Both tubs need about the same amount of work. Thoughts?

·
Registered
11,073 Posts
The M38 tub with the removable tunnel panel should make building a custom tunnel WAY easier. The M38 battery box is kind neat for getting the battery out of the engine compartment, or just using it as something else....remote air cleaner box, tool storage, beer cooler, etc. You get the shovel and axe indentations on the m38 tunnel which would be cool.

A somewhat military looking m38 with your 3b windshield would look very cool.

·
Registered
322 Posts
I would go with the free one, my because I'm cheap. That 300.00 bucks could be used elsewhere on the build. Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
The worst thing about the M38 tub is that it has been patched before. It is also missing all of the little military pieces.

Free 2a tub

M38 tub

·
old school idiot
1,595 Posts
i'd go with the 2a, free, close, frees up 500$$( tub & fuel) and you can make your own tunnel to fit. plus 4 weeks to work on it. my 0.02:D

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
The 2a tub seems simpler and therefor lighter than the M38 tub. It would be cool to have a "M38" though.

It would be a bit of a snowball though. M38 tub with a 2a grill would really bother me. Plus all of the other things it is missing. Short term the 2a makes more sense.

·
Registered
11,073 Posts
Thank you for making me feel like my tub wasn't that bad!

Free is Free, but time is time. I would rather be out a few $100 now and have the tub I am going to use this weekend. To me it looks like the M38 tub is in a bit better shape.

A month or two without a tub is a long time, to me it looks like you are about to the point where you need a tub now.

41 - 60 of 443 Posts