Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
someone said we needed more RC builds even if the guy doing it really didnt know what he was doing so here goes :p I had this build going on RCC so I will catch y'all up

here is what I am starting with. it is a 1986 ramcharger with a 2" rancho kit and BFG 33" muds. I bought this to make a driver out of it and turns out everything under the black on the bottom is thin sheet metal riveted on to hide gaping rust wounds. the area around the windshield also turned out to just be gone under the upper gasket area. this was cleverly hidden with windshield adhesive but did nothing to stop the leak :eek: so a wheeler it will become.

the motor turned out to be a 10 to 1 318 with a mild cam, crane adjustable roller rockers, edelbrock performer intake, edelbrock performer carb and long tube headers.

so the plan includes a convertable top, boatsides to remove rust, dovetail front and rear and bigger axles.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
first a little front axle work. I got a 8 lug 10 bolt front and a dana 44 from a 80's 3/4 ton chevy with no hubs and started to try and build one complete axle. the 44 stuff is all I could afford for now. when a cheap 60 appears I will change it. since the dodge springs are a little wider apart I cut the driver perch off and moved it 3/4 of an inch.

and now I have a complete steering axle. stay tuned for more. I only get to work on this about 4 hours every other weekend so this may take a while

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I got my ruff stuff axle swap brackets for the 14b and did the rough cuts on the convertable project.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
cut out the rust in the drivers floorboard that was a result of the massive windshield leak

then did a little rust removal\clearance

oh yeah the doors are gone now too. I will weld up patches in the floor asap then the rear gets lincoln locked and the front gets a lock rite and the axles go under it.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
one lincoln locked 14b with new to me 4.10 gears told you I was cheap ;D

out with the old and in with the new

and on the the front

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
got the 3/16 plate welded on. still need to seal up the ends. gotta admit I am kinda diggin the look

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
and here we are as of today. all the materials used are what I had on hand so not everything is optimal but it is what I have to work with. let me know what you think

·
Premium Member
3,061 Posts
I like the look of the boatsides, but If you have the boat sides welded to the frame AND the body, you are most likely going to break the sheet metal at the lock pillar when it starts flexing on the trail.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I like the look of the boatsides, but If you have the boat sides welded to the frame AND the body, you are most likely going to break the sheet metal at the lock pillar when it starts flexing on the trail.
not to worried about sheetmetal cracking but the area behind the lock pillar is the seatbelt mount and I wanted it tied to something stout. the sheetmetal can crack out above and below the slider but the seatbelts will still be attached to steel. I am also hoping that with all the tie ins and a full cage flex will be minimized. but as I stated in the first post I really am learning on this rig. this will be my first trail only build so I am sure I will make some mistakes that I can correct when the inevitable rebuild happens:D

·
Registered
628 Posts
i don't like the blocks in the rear. but other than that, it looks fun.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
i don't like the blocks in the rear. but other than that, it looks fun.
I haven't even started on the suspension yet. gonna do 52s on the front and 56s or longer depending on what I find for super cheap. you have a good point and the plan is to get rid of them asap

·
Registered
160 Posts
Cool rig and I really like the way you are using what you have on hand. More builds should be like this, a true "Grass roots" build. Nothing fancy just get the job done. Keep the updates coming.

LT.

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
Im hook on boatsides now:grinpimp: Gonna have to start a new project now:flipoff2:. Lookin good though.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts