Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 179 Posts

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2001 Montero Sport ES 3.0L

I bought it new, and it did daily driver duty till 2006, at which point it got 4.90 gears, a rear ARB locker, 2"rear coils/2" body lift, and 33's.

I wheeled it for a year like that, then the SAS started.

Got my Dana44 from a 79 F150 and installed 4.88 gears and another ARB.

Used the wedge parts of the Ford radius arms, and spliced them to 2"x.250"DOM with some .250 gussets and 1" heims on the end. These arms ended up being 6" longer than stock. I located the axle an inch forward from the IFS centerline.

Had to modify the trans xmember to clear the arms. Now it bolts to the inside of the framerail instead of under it.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I went with Wild Horse 5.5" EB coils and Ballistic adjustable buckets, Pro-Comp 14" travel shocks and Ballistic towers.

The trackbar and draglink are 1.5"x.250"DOM with Poly's on the trackbar and 7/8" heims for the draglink. The steering gear was moved forward about an inch and down a little.(Can't find pics right now.)

For the rear I swapped the stock trailing arms from the bottom to the top of the axle, kind of like a SOA. Then I raised the trackbar mount, reused the stock trackbar, and went with Tuff Country Easy Ride 3.5" XJ front coils, and two more 14"Pro-Comp shocks.
Before

After

The xmember that holds the front of the gastank got in the way of the rear driveshaft droop so I replaced it with some leftover 2"x.250"DOM.

On to the doubler. The stock Mitsu t-case had a ratio of 1.90:1 and no other gears are available.
So, in order to get an Np231/D300 into my Sport I had to swap in a different trans. Luckily the 97-99 Sports came with the Aisin 30-43LE, Same as the AW4 except for a bellhousing that will bolt to my Mitsu 3.0. Got one of these transmissions out of a 99 and bolted on a tail housing from a 01 XJ, and the NP231 from the same XJ. I shift it with Bretts Controller, in manual mode only, since I don't have a TCU. Twin sticks and doubler kit from DDMachine.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Lastly Exhaust, RPW headers(ceramic coated), 2.5" high flow cat, magnaflow muffler, wheel well exit.

There have been a few changes this year, like PSC hydro assist, and high steer(not installed yet). I'll get some more pics up after I put the high steer knuckle on. :beer:

·
Registered
225 Posts
So does Marks4wd.com not make gears for your monty?

·
Registered
225 Posts
They made the low range gears for my truck but the ujoints on the front driveline would have bound, so didn't even bother. I figured, if I am going to spend that much I might as well spend a bit more and get the Atlas.

·
Registered
6,907 Posts
I think if you're going to run 18s you better have some nice big brakes to fill the hole...:flipoff2: Got any video of it?

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Found a pic of my current steering link setup with hydro assist.

Still have to install my reid racing high steer knuckle on the passenger side to eliminate the misalignment spacers on the draglink, reposition the tierod to the top of the knuckles, and get a little better turning radius.

·
Registered
225 Posts
That looks much better.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Good to see ya here. How's the case replacement coming?

·
Registered
17 Posts
I got the new one in Sunday. Tested it on monday in the driveway. No go. :mad3: It pops and jumps out of gear. Taking it back tomorrow morning before work. :shaking:

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
did you need to swap out the tail shaft from the Jeep AW4 or just the tail housing?
Just the housing. The tailshaft speed sensor and sensor wheel need to be swapped with the jeep housing, but I didn't have to worry about this because I'm using Bretts controller to shift my AW4(manual mode only), and not a TCU.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
High steer in the house.
Looks like I'll have to relocate the steering gear, assist cylinder, and track bar, and possibly bend the draglink and track bar. I'll get some more done tomorrow.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Like they say, once you go high steer, you don't go back. I added high steer to my rig and I love it.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
any chance youll have it fixed by sunday? i think i might head out to haspin for the day. i wouldnt mind someone to ride with, and check out that thing in person.

ive got a soft spot for that style montero. i almost bought one instead of the grand..... but it was out of my price range. yours looks killer.

1 - 20 of 179 Posts