Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was in a welding shop the other day and decided on an impulse to get a bottle for my mig (been using fluxcore).
I ended up taking home a 40cf bottle because the smaller one didn't make me feel like a man, and the 60cf one made me feel like a pussy when i went to lift it....
Anyway, now i have a couple of questions.
1. how many pounds (.024") of wire might i get through this one bottle?
2. my lincoln 175 instructions don't tell me what to set the regulator at... and i have no idea where to start.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
448 Posts
15cfh is a good setting to use indoors.

If your flow rate is set at 15cfh, you will get 2.6hrs of weld time from it. Lower flow rates will yield more time. There is no way to calculate how many lbs of wire you will use.

·
Registered
10,442 Posts
I run a 40 cf bottle of argon/co2. I'm on my third tank, started my spool of wire on the first tank, and the third tank/11 pound spool of .030 should finish at about the same time. They're both getting low right now.

As for what you should set it to, what does your gauge read? I've seen p.s.i., liters per minute, pounds per hour, etc. If it reads p.s.i., set it to 20 or so, and it should be good. You may be able to go down to 15 or so, with that small of a wire.

Edit: I also do a fair amount of outdoor welding, so sometimes I have the gas cranked up to 25-30 p.s.i.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the help guys.
exactly what i was looking for.

·
Registered
3,620 Posts
I ended up taking home a 40cf bottle because the smaller one didn't make me feel like a man, and the 60cf one made me feel like a pussy when i went to lift it....
You need to handle some 250+ CF cylinders if you think an 60CF cylinder is heavy. :flipoff2:

·
Registered
329 Posts
If you weld much you will want to upgrade that bottle to a bigger one. I like 300cf bottles the best, but for a normal home user I would suggest 150cf they are light. The bigger the bottle the cheaper they are to fill. They charge the same fees for smaller ones as the bigger ones. And you will have to fill that small one alot.

·
Premium Member
2,026 Posts
If you weld much you will want to upgrade that bottle to a bigger one. I like 300cf bottles the best, but for a normal home user I would suggest 150cf they are light. The bigger the bottle the cheaper they are to fill. They charge the same fees for smaller ones as the bigger ones. And you will have to fill that small one alot.
Also the price difference between a 80 to 125cf cylinder is 20 to 30 dollars which will be recovered at only one or two fills. Also buy the biggest you can afford. The 60cf cylinder will just you more in the end. I would look at upgrading to a bigger cylinder when you get it filled.

·
Registered
125 Posts
What are you guys paying for cylinders? They're going for $185 locally for 40cf, filled. :puke:

A dude on eBay has 80cf for ~$140, and I'd have to get it filled from the "local welding shop franchise" who charges too much for the cylinder.
I have a 220cf bottle, I paid about $240 for it. The shop gave me a "student discount" of 15%, which is why I got the 220 instead of the 180. It costs $54 to fill it.

I also keep a small 40cf bottle filled, for those Saturday nights you run out of gas, and can't wait until Monday to fill your bottle because you're doing a SAS and have to drive to work on Monday.

·
Not a Wenzelite
36,696 Posts
OK, sold. I'm convinced to find a massive bottle.

I keep a 10# and a 20# CO2 bottle around. I have a small Hyperflow regulator I use to take the CO2 and a rattlegun to the junkyard....I'm too cheap to use CO2 to fill on the trail, but I'll gladly use it to pull rusty bolts to get parts! I'm also welding with CO2 right now, and have CO2 on my beer fridge....so I'll keep the CO2 around for a spare when the Argon runs out.

·
Registered
3,620 Posts
OK, sold. I'm convinced to find a massive bottle.
Before you buy a large cylinder (bigger than 150CF), you should ask you local welding shops if they'll fill it. Not all shops will fill the large cylinders.
Also, you need to determine if the large cylinder is customer owned of leased. If you buy a used leased cylinder and try to fill it, good chance it will get confiscated. Call before you take the cylinder to get filled.

For reference, a 20lb CO2 tanks is equivalent to 150CF of C25 (75 argon, 25% co2) in terms of volume.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
My local airgas won't sell anything larger than 120cf. Anyting bigger is lease only.
that is the same case for me. really the 40cf is great because i have to move my welder out of my basement whenever i use it. i'm looking to move soon, and will finally have a garage to work in. at that point, i'm going to take my 40cf in and see if i can sell it back for credit towards a 125cf... but i may have to lease that size.

i set my reg at 15cf and didn't have any trouble at all outside. during one brief gust of wind i shut down for a minute, but i am already very pleased with the results. i feel that gas is WAY easier to weld then cored wire, and cosemtically you can't even compare them.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts