Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok, new to me...

Its a 2004 G3500 Mostly stock, 6.0/4L80e 9600#GVWR has A/C,Tilt/cruise Sorta high mileage 139k, mostly highway.. The later models came with a ton of nice standard options. Cloth interior, ride is very nice. Hell it was even pretty quiet, even with all the racks and junk on the floor banging around..

It's got 4wheel disks, its got some monster ass rear axle, not a 14b maybe a 70 or 80? (It was getting dark so I couldn't see any casting marks..) I did snap a pic so Ill post that.. I was shocked as hell, it had grease fittings on the ball joints and steering joints !!!! I really didn't plan on getting this new of a van but i definitely think the little extra I went over budget was worth the newer vehicle.

The 'build up' will be pretty simple for the most part. Just plan to do some simple stuff in the back for some camping. Hell maybe hang a hammock :) I found a site that sells swivels for the seats so I will get some of those. Probably make up some window curtains junk like that..

I will be taking the sleeper/camper off the trailer and keeping it for a while to see how this goes.

It came with a fuck ton of cabinets, and a solid divider. I need to figure out what I will do with them all and still have some room to do stuff. I'd also like to be able to haul stuff inside with minimal reconfiguring. (with in reason). The seller deals mostly in vans so he threw in a divider with a door. Thinking I may put 1 row of seats and put the divider with door behind that, and reconfigure some storage back there..

Anyway.... the pics...

DSCF0300.JPG

DSCF0299.JPG

DSCF0296.JPG

DSCF0297.JPG

DSCF0298.JPG

·
Registered
5,491 Posts
Yup 10.5" AAM (looked up on rockauto).
Nope - the 10.5" AAM axle would have bolt-on pinion support like its had for ages.

That is a Dana axle. It probably has a 12-bolt cover. (Was 10 bolts that much of a problem for leaking?) Whether its a 60 or 70 I don't know.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
If you don't want to keep them, the cabinets and divider should bring decent money on Craigslist or Egay. That setup would probably go for $600+ if you ordered it new...

·
Registered
5,491 Posts
If you don't want to keep them, the cabinets and divider should bring decent money on Craigslist or Egay. That setup would probably go for $600+ if you ordered it new...
I upfitted my van with shelves last year for $1200. That looks more like $2000-2500 new with the drawers and lockers.

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It's definitly bigger than a D60. Plus all the extra webbing, just wasnt sure if 70 or 80 guess I gotta crawl under there and look...

Shelving - Yes I factored in the shelving, bins and drawers when I purchased it.. I hope to use some of it in my setup... Initial plan is to unbolt/remove everything and try some various placements of the items to see how they work out. Maybe I can find someone to swap/trade for some other misc. shelf components.

So last night I was wiping the 5gals of amorall off everything and was thinking maybe herkuliner would be better to put down. The floor mat is only 1/4" and is bunched up in several places from the cabinets and junk being bolted down etc..

anyway....
first up is a trailer hitch, 7 prong wiring and my controller hook up.. Someone told me it should be pre wired under the dash for the controller... So I'll look for that first..

·
Registered
5,306 Posts
Dana 70. I went through all my databases(work in the auto aftermarket) and found out that you can get a 9.75 axle or a 10.5. Since you have the extra supports on it you have the 10.5 inch ring gear which translates into a Dana 70.

·
Ford Bigot
4,101 Posts
Don't forget to paint "free candy" on the side.

Cool build up idea though. Not a lot of people spring for the van chassis even though they are typically the same as the pickup and usually a lot cheaper.

·
Registered
522 Posts
should be a 60 on one of the webbings to the left or right of the diff cover it should be cast in there 60r for dana 60 rear.

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
few updates:

Got my class 4/5 hitch installed. Was pretty easy bolt on deal. I removed some cabinets, I have some more to remove. I've been taking my time thinking things through as I go... With some penciled drawings I figured out a simple interior layout that will allow me to reuse 1 section of shelf and all the drawer units. I'll post up pics when I get to that point..

Started some wiring today. I mounted the trailer plug receptacle in the bumper. I think it looks nice, really where it should be from the factory.

Trailer wall mount jack knife sofas? Anyone sleep on these things? They seem like they would be comfortable for a few nights. Any real life experience?

Plan is to do the floor with some sort of bed liner spray or DIY stuff. Still researching that.

Also popped the grill off to scope out how I need to install the transmission cooler. 4 screws and some clips and off in 1 big piece. Plenty of room to make a some brackets to mount the cooler/fan unit.

anyway....

Attachments

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
wall mount sofa... This one seems better supported then some others I've seen.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Ok the axle issue is over. I removed it from the van and put in a 14bolt :D

Didn't do a whole lot this weekend. Finished removing the shelving and disassembled it all so I could reuse the better shelfs, sides etc..

A few pics of where I want the shelf unit. I rearranged the upper shelfs after I snapped the pics to hold my Coleman stove/grill. But thats why I wanted to reuse the racks vs making wooden shelfs as I can rearange them in short order..

Anyway...I did start pulling some wires for the brake controller, need to figure out where to mount that...

opps heres a few pics..

and forgot to add, my microwave fits great on top of the 2 stacked drawer units. The 2 sides will keep it in place plus Ill add a clip or something on top. The unit will all be attached and bolted to the floor..

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,772 Posts
Just to end the axle thing, it's a 10.5 AAM. Not the good old 14b everyone knows. Is it a full floating axle? Pop the wheel cap off and see as I don't think it has one. Not sure whats different between the two, diesels get the full floater 10.5aam and the gas trucks get the semi floater.
You can get the trans cooler from GM with the brackets and stuff. Also get the lower bumper valance off a 1500 or a diesel van, it helps slightly with highway milage.
If your selling any of the shelves and stuff let me know. I like the sliding drawer cabinet.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts