Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
In 2005 I designed this set of steering arms to place the tie rod and drag link above the springs, and to also use the Ackermann angle in them, which worked with placing the tie rod behind the axle.
The arms are milled to a 1” thickness through out.
The TRE connection points are milled at 10 deg and a thickness of .75”.

Modeled on a partial front axle

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
I started to fab these arms in fall of ’05 when I took a Manufacturing process’ class. For the class we were allowed to bring in our own designs to the machine shop and set up the processes for manufacturing and then make them.
Well suffice it to say, each student only got 4 hours of machine shop time because of the size of the class. So I talked to the Prof and was allowed to be there for every student group, which gave me about 10 hours.
Of course I wasn’t able to finish them in that time frame so I asked the machine shop manager if I could come back over the brake and work on them then. He said that I would have to get approval from the Dean in order to use the machines outside of classes, so I did.

From the beginning.
I started with a 2”x3” block of steel and started machining using a bridgport mill.

So now all I have left to do is find someone that has the Toyota TRE taper mill and mill it for the TREs. Then press the cylinders into it.
Then comes the fun of converting my 4runner to crossover and praying that my geometry pays off.

·
Registered
5 Posts
this will allow you to push your axel forward much more without worry about your steering crossing over. only problem i could see is if you went to links instead of leafs...?

·
Premium Member
23,556 Posts
what about tie rod to oil pan clearance? i thought there was some issue with that unless the rig sits high. i have not actually looked for my self tho.

if that was done on a manual machine i am really impressed!

·
Registered
601 Posts
a friend of mine made a set up like that and he had some oil pan clearence issues he had to make the tie rod with 2 bends in it
somthing like --\__/--

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
this will allow you to push your axel forward much more without worry about your steering crossing over
huh? it just put's the tie rod behind the axle

awesome job on the arms...personally i think it'd be cool to put the drag link behind the axle.

now that i've re-read this...why aren't these more popular with sas setups? i know somebody else makes them, i saw some out at jv. i just thought it was to get the tie rod out of harms way, but to be able to keep the stock steering box location on an sas would be pretty cool.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
a friend of mine made a set up like that and he had some oil pan clearence issues he had to make the tie rod with 2 bends in it
somthing like --\__/--
I haven't even lifted my truck yet(Start this weekend hopefully) so I don't know how much interference I'm going to have. I'm going to lifting only about 4" so we'll see.
Thanks for the bent tierod idea. Some gussets and it shouldn't be a problem

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

·
Registered
2,449 Posts
huh? it just put's the tie rod behind the axle
Prevents contact between the drag link and tie rod. If the steering box is not moved far enough forward, this can be problem when moving the axle forward on a "standard" setup.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts