Pirate 4x4 banner

81 - 100 of 114 Posts

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #82
Not much to update, my brother in law put the car into a small ditch and big bush and cracked the radiator, bent a control arm, some body damage. Should be getting it fixed this weekend.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
:eek: Ouch! Weeelllll, at least body parts for your car are plentiful at the wrecking yards.
Hmmm.. For the class you compete in, exactly how much can you modify? Do you have to keep the frame stubs and body panels oem or can they be modified?

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #86
I can modify pretty much anything for the rallyx. I'm already in the mod class and they don't split beyond stock and mod. Technically I could do a full custom long travel suspension if I wanted. Down the road if I ever decide to stage rally is where it's more strict.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #88
That hadn't crossed my mind but working at a machine shop with a bunch of prerunner guys has me looking at crazy suspension setups lol.

Attachments

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #93 (Edited)
Made some progress over the last few weeks. Got the radiator put in, got a new control arm, tore the front end apart, got rid of a ton of unneeded shit, built a front bumper, took the sunroof and all the crap involved with that out and put a piece of aluminum over the hole in the roof, got a cheap racing seat and started a roll bar. Not gonna fully cage it yet I don't think, just run the half bar. Haven't decided for sure yet. Still need to redo the skid plate and then once the roll bar is done it should be ready for rallycross in sept.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Bad ass :D
Yeah, you dont really need a full cage for auto-x. Not all that many trees or boulders to slide into. A roll is a worse case situation. That bar will indeed save your skin.
Keep it up! Keep us up to date with your progress! The rally forum is kinda dead. Your all the excitement we got here!

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #96
Got a few things buttoned up in preparation for the upcoming rallyx. Cage welded in, seat and harness mounted. Did a quick and easy skid plate with some thin aluminum I had floating around. Should be pretty much ready to rock, gonna go do some "practice runs" to make sure.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Thats looking really nice, man. You even have the angle of the shoulder harness correct. I cant tell you how many cars I see get that wrong.

I would STRONGLY suggest fabricating a simple door card out of urethane or aluminum. Those sharp edges can slice you open in a hurry if your hands slips off the wheel and into that mess of razors.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Thats looking really nice, man. You even have the angle of the shoulder harness correct. I cant tell you how many cars I see get that wrong.

I would STRONGLY suggest fabricating a simple door card out of urethane or aluminum. Those sharp edges can slice you open in a hurry if your hands slips off the wheel and into that mess of razors.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #99
Yeah I have another piece of thin gauge aluminum plate floating around, I should do that before rallyx. A guy I work with was at the local junkyard and found a convertible auto 318, which according to info I found on the googles has a 4.44 rear end, so I might go take a look at that over the weekend. Then the 19th is the next rallyx. I talked a friend who drives an old Toyota pickup set up for desert romping into going to rallyx with me. Should be a fun time, we will be competing in the same class.

81 - 100 of 114 Posts