Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
LOOK what i got in the mail monday.... dosent it look soooo good, its so shiny, and i even use it for my pillow :)

MY KLUNE-V is finally here and going in this weekend (i hope) :smokin:

looks great behind the 727

the scout met the klune today

·
Registered
943 Posts
That unit looks defective. Tell you what; I'll come pick it up and run it in my rig (for a few years..) to make sure it's in fact OK. It's a sacrafice, but one I'm willling to make. :grinpimp:

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i hate me to :flipoff2: i paid too damn much for it... klune is an underdrive and its the 4:1 so a 8:1 final tcase ratio is great with a 93:1 final compression. drive line should be ok, i put a 1350 CV rear output and im going to tilt up my axle...

the problem i can see having, which somebody just brough up to me is the space between the tcase and the frame i dont know how much wider the 205 is to the dana 20 i have in there now... this weekend will only tell...i will post more pics soon...

you guys will get here someday... im lucky i have

·
Registered
2,985 Posts
There's plenty of room between the 205 and the inside of a scout frame. You won't be able to fit a exhaust pipe in between if the 205 is clocked flat. Plenty of room for a rear shaft also.
One word of advice though- Your jeep 727 adapter has a weep hole in the bottom. Plug it well !!! I used a self tapping screw from the inside out with some RTV for mine. The Klune input gear WON'T seal to the rear trans seal. The front Klune seal is a double lip seal which will keep the ATF separate from the Klune oil.
Good luck, your going to get spoiled. :)

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i cant wait until i get it under, i have a friend coming over sat to put my 205 back together and i should be getting my twin stick setup soon either tomorrow or early next week (i hope) then, im almost there. test it out for a week then its down to sierra trek and show everybody what its made of...

·
Registered
249 Posts
Listen to Binder about the weep hole!!!!! I didn't do that first time, and had a constant leak. The fluid will leak right past the seal on the tranny. I used a self tapping screw and thr right stuff. No leaky no more. I think that you may need to clock the 20 down a little from looking at your pictures. I don't think that it will fit in side the frame, and I really don't think that you will be able to get a good angle to your pinion. I have mine clocked down a little, a CV joint ( beefy from Jesse), and I was pushing the angle then. You'll love the Klune. I am running a 727, klune, and jeep 300.

Oh yeah, Got brakes??????????????

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
my tcase is a chevy np 205 im getting rid of the dana 20, and that pic. was just to see how it would look, and fit under my truck. im sure i will have to clock it down some not not too much, im trying to get a more or less flat belly.

a friend is coming over on sat. and i hoping to have the thing under there this weekend or early next week with some minor touch ups to get everything right... i stil need to install my twin sticks when they get here...

i have a 1350 CV joint from jesse, for the rear, the front should be fine since it was fine before the klune and now its just further back from it so less of an angle..

i looked at that hole and it looks like it goes straight through the tailhousing. doesnt the klune have seals around the shaft? and the tranny has a seal around its shaft... so whats so different w/ the klune then with the tcase being the instead???

·
Registered
249 Posts
The Klune has a pressed in seal to keep the tranny fluid from entering the Klune. The tail housing for the 727 has a weep hole at the bottom. Fluid will get past the tail shaft seal on the 727. Especially if you have your tranny tilted back at any angle, or drive at any angle. I'm not sure why, but perhaps the shaft on the KLune isn't exactly the same size as the dana 20 or 300. I didn't see it listed in the instructions that came with my Klune, but on their website it says to seal the weep hole or elae tranny fluid might get by the seal. It will, ask me how I know!!!! :mad3:

·
Registered
2,985 Posts
It will leak because the Klune input isn't quite long enough to fit tight into the 727 rear seal. Oh yes, RTV or right stuff all of your mating flanges.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
i see no problem with that hole being there, i think its there for excess fluid from the tranny to poor out, but why would it leak through a seal isnt that what a seal is supposed to prevent from happening??

i will plug it anyway, but the klune does have a seal on the front of it to keep the tranny fluid from getting into it anyway...

·
Registered
249 Posts
The seal on the Klune keeps the tranny fluid from entering the Klune. The seal on the tailshaft is supposed to keep the fluid in the tranny. According to Binder, the input on the Klune doesn't fit all of the way into the seal. If you don't seal the weep hole, you will lose all of your tranny fluid, as it will leak past your tailshaft seal, and drain out of the weep hole. Then, after your tranny burns up from no fluid, you can pull everything off, rebuild the 727, and then seal the weep hole. I was leaking tranny fluid, and then I sealed the weep hole, and now no more problems leaking.

·
Registered
734 Posts
IH4ever, you need to slow down and read. The Klune seal is not the issue here.

Clocking your 205 flat is going to give you a ton of problems I believe. You can use the stock clocking and still keep it above the bottom of the frame. That will give you the best front driveline angle also. You will have zero room for exhaust on the passenger side so single exhaust is probably your best option. Have you thought about using the rod (brace) that the factories installed to connect the 205 to the tranny (with mods of course)?

Maybe I'm the only one, but I think 4-1 is way too low for your application. You should have ordered the 2.7-1.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
ok so that weep hole will leak and i will plug it...

but what does it matter? that fluid that will stay in that tail shaft does absolutly no good back there anyway... the shaft doesnt need to have fluid on it... the tail shaft will just fill up with fluid and the tranny will still burn up because it has less fluid in it...

and the klune shaft goes inside of the 727 so your telling me that the seal leaks from stock anyway??? the dana 20 goes around the 727 but then why is seal there??
the seal is there for a reason and it should keep fluid from going pass it... i will seal it so that way i dont loose any fluid if it does leak and so that i dont get dirt or grime build up inside the tailshaft...

i have the klune/205 where i would like it permently. the klune mounting foot is almost level. and i know now i do not have any room for the exhaust. i will have to take it to a shop and let them tell me what they would like to do, i was thinking going dual to single a Y-pipe and cut the pass. side exhaust across to the driver side and bend it right where the orginal tranny cross memeber was, and go into the driver side exhaust. it wont sound to good but im going to have to do it that way..

i know the 2.7 klune is stronger but with my auto i dont have that low first gear as the 4 spds do. so to try to catch up i went with the 4:1 and it should hold up just fine... plus with the klune i can get my 1:1, 2:1, 4:1,and 8:1. with the other i could get 1:1,2:1,2.72:1 4:1. i get one more option and paying the same price for either one...the 2.72:1 is not much difference

·
Registered
249 Posts
Yes, the tail shaft will fill up with fluid. It won't be leaking out of the tailshaft housing if you seal the weep hole. Fill your tranny, and then run the truck. Then, fill the tranny up to replace the fluid that was in the tranny, and has been displaced into the tailshaft housing. What is it, an extra quart and a half???? Once the tailshaft housing is full, or almost full, the fluid will not "leak" into the housing anymore. Make sense?????? In essence, you have just increased the capacity of your tranny fluid. True, the stuff in the housing is wasted, but it will be completely sealed from the dirt and debris from outside of the housing. I don't believe that the seal leaks stock, I believe that the weep hole is there to allow any fluid that does get by the seal to drip out.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
but if the seal donsnt leak stock why would it leak now? just wondering

1 - 20 of 24 Posts