Pirate 4x4 banner

21 - 40 of 303 Posts

·
Registered
848 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Not too much going on with the build. Still waiting parts from Speedway. UPS lost my package, then UPS had to open an investigation, and now they said they are having speedway re-ship the u-joints.I also spent quite a while stripping the paint from the inside of the top (sorry no pics of that). I cut off the factory steering box mount, then cleaned up the front frame with a flap disk and wire wheel. Took the shocks off each side when painting so i could put in some longer bolts. Here are some pics.

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
Nice starting point. Are you planning on running the 52" springs up front? I'm running chevy 47" up front and 52"s out back. I'd watch the 52"s up front, you will be running into obstackles before the tire can climb them. Even on 38's
Not true you just have to set them up right....I had 52'' in front and 56's in the rear and they were fine. (see pic) later went to 56's in front and 63's in the rear and they were killer!

*EDIT*
To O/P looks good you have the basic idea for a great start seems like you did your homework ;)

Attachments

·
Registered
848 Posts
Discussion Starter #23 (Edited)
Thank you for the advice and nice Scout! I like the idea of running 52" springs up front if i don't have to extend the frame. If i do need to extend the frame i will just use 47"s. Got any more pictures of your suspension?

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
Not true you just have to set them up right....I had 52'' in front and 56's in the rear and they were fine. (see pic) later went to 56's in front and 63's in the rear and they were killer!

*EDIT*
To O/P looks good you have the basic idea for a great start seems like you did your homework ;)
blkscout, once upon a time huh!:D
wonder if he realizes where yer at now, show um a current suspention pic

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Nice Scout Welcome to Pirate, nice to someone that understands the system:smokin:

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
Thank you for the advice and nice Scout! I like the idea of running 52" springs up front if i don't have to extend the frame. If i do need to extend the frame i will just use 47"s. Got any more pictures of your suspension?
With the 52" chevy springs you will have to extend the frame a inch I think. It's been years so I don't remember the exact numbers sorry. I do remember the 52's needed leafs added to them to hold the weight of the 304. The 56's were much more durable and gave me quite a bit more flex, esp with the 63's in the rear.

Did you want a pic of my current suspension?

blkscout, once upon a time huh!:D
wonder if he realizes where yer at now, show um a current suspention pic
Ya that was back in 2005 I believe. I wish I could do another full bodied build! Here is a current pic of the suspension Tacomajoe's buggy is on 44's also :smokin:

Attachments

·
Registered
848 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Yeah pics of both setups if you have them. The more pics people post the better, i love studying other peoples rigs for ideas.:smokin:

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
With the 52" chevy springs you will have to extend the frame a inch I think. It's been years so I don't remember the exact numbers sorry. I do remember the 52's needed leafs added to them to hold the weight of the 304. The 56's were much more durable and gave me quite a bit more flex, esp with the 63's in the rear.

Did you want a pic of my current suspension?

Ya that was back in 2005 I believe. I wish I could do another full bodied build! Here is a current pic of the suspension Tacomajoe's buggy is on 44's also :smokin:
DAMN YOU BLK SCOUT!!!!!!!!!!!,yer gonna make me start savin for coilovers,that thing is so bad ass!

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
Yeah pics of both setups if you have them. The more pics people post the better, i love studying other peoples rigs for ideas.:smokin:
I don't have much on this laptop, I'll have to dig out close up shots on my old computer. Here is another angle of what 52's will do, but that's all I got for now. At this point I'm on 38" TSL SX's and dana 44's BTW. Leafs work well for the money, but coilovers should be on your list if you want big flex with a smooth ride.

Attachments

·
Registered
848 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Its been a while, so here's an update. Finally got my second set of steering u-joints from speedway (took about 2 weeks). I got a 4" K&N Air filter. I also had to replace the water pump twice. First one had a crack in it and i didn't find it until I started it up. Bought a new Performer intake, along with a Phenolic Carburetor Spacer and installed them. Today My cousin and my friend came over and we started the install of the power steering. We mounted the box to the frame, mounted the ps pump, installed the steering column, installed the steering u-joints, and made a Z bar. The Z bar isn't finished but it is close. The power steering box also needs a few more welds on it. Should have the power steering working very soon. :smokin:
Here are some Pictures

This is the new filter and old intake

New Intake Installled

New Phenolic Carburetor Spacer Installed

Power Steering Box Mounted

Steering Column Installed

The New Z bar

More to come....

·
Registered
11,607 Posts
OMFG:eek:

Do YOU feel comfortable with the modifications you have done so far? Don't get discouraged, but you need to stand back and ask yourself that.
If your gonna rip on the guy atleast say why and give some guidance..

:shaking:

I'd do the mount different but hey, who knows - might work..

I wouldn't touch a Z bar but he doesn't want to dump money into a temp crappy axle so hey, it gets it going..

I wouldn't touch a carb but that's just me, once again a choice.

What else ya got?

·
Registered
848 Posts
Discussion Starter #38 (Edited)
Yes, it is all temporary until i put my new 44 installed. I would have liked to mount the box closer to the frame, but i wanted to be able to remove the bolts easily if it needs to be removed for any reason, and i didn't want long bolts going through the frame to hold it. It already has gussets and will be plenty strong when it is finished. If you have any suggestions on ways to improve it, please let me know!

I would like to go EFI, but i would rather put the money that would cost into something else for now. In the future... who knows.

·
Registered
11,607 Posts
I have ripped several boxes from the frame, you'd be surprised at the force at the box. I didn't say it wouldn't work though..

mine

·
Registered
849 Posts
If your gonna rip on the guy atleast say why and give some guidance..
Yeah, I was trying not to "rip" him, but have HIM stand back and see if he could see anything to improve on. I could spout off what I would do but if he doesn't buy into it, it's pointless. He did take it really well though and seems open to suggestions so here goes.

I would get that steering box as close to the frame as possible. Decrease the leverage it will have to break things. I angled my box so I could sleeve 3 of the 4 bolt holes through the frame with one mounted directly on top.

I cut the stock exterior column mount from a donor Chevy truck and grafted it onto the scouts firewall as well as use the stock Scout mount by drilling a hole in the top of the column housing. You will need to cut some of the bell from the bottom of the Chevy column to get it to sit in right. The Chevy column housing is just a tad bigger than the Scout's so it will still clamp together with some longer bolts.

Those were the only two gripes I had and as Brandon stated, you would be surprised at what a steering box can do to a poorly made mount especially when you start adding bigger tires.

21 - 40 of 303 Posts