Pirate 4x4 banner

41 - 60 of 303 Posts

·
Registered
848 Posts
Discussion Starter #41 (Edited)
Yeah, I was trying not to "rip" him, but have HIM stand back and see if he could see anything to improve on. I could spout off what I would do but if he doesn't buy into it, it's pointless. He did take it really well though and seems open to suggestions so here goes.

I would get that steering box as close to the frame as possible. Decrease the leverage it will have to break things. I angled my box so I could sleeve 3 of the 4 bolt holes through the frame with one mounted directly on top.

I cut the stock exterior column mount from a donor Chevy truck and grafted it onto the scouts firewall as well as use the stock Scout mount by drilling a hole in the top of the column housing. You will need to cut some of the bell from the bottom of the Chevy column to get it to sit in right. The Chevy column housing is just a tad bigger than the Scout's so it will still clamp together with some longer bolts.

Those were the only two gripes I had and as Brandon stated, you would be surprised at what a steering box can do to a poorly made mount especially when you start adding bigger tires.
I appreciate the advice. I have been concerned about the box tearing off the frame since day 1. We are really trying to re-enforce it so it does not tear away from the frame. If it does not work out, i will sleeve the frame. We do plan on running a support like yours on the ps box from just above the pitman arm to the other side of the frame.
We are going to build a steering column support under the dash, and another near the end in the engine compartment. I do like your mount under the dash.

·
Registered
848 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Today we finished up the Z bar, and got the scout driving. I still have a few things to finish up before i can drive it more, but it went up and down the street again for the first time in months! I still need to have a little more welding done to support the box more.

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
Your "Z-bar" hurts my soul.

Other than that, lookin' good.
x2,almost spit my morning coffee out when i saw it.i like the build also,but that z bar should be on "there i fixed it"

·
Premium Member
9,604 Posts
I don't have much on this laptop, I'll have to dig out close up shots on my old computer. Here is another angle of what 52's will do, but that's all I got for now. At this point I'm on 38" TSL SX's and dana 44's BTW. Leafs work well for the money, but coilovers should be on your list if you want big flex with a smooth ride.
I absolutely adore this version of your Scout.

·
Addicted to Gear Oil
9,981 Posts
Today we finished up the Z bar, and got the scout driving. I still have a few things to finish up before i can drive it more, but it went up and down the street again for the first time in months! I still need to have a little more welding done to support the box more.

"It's only temporary... unless it works!"-Red Green

I know that Z-bar is temporary, until you can get the axle swap and go hi-steer, but please for the love of god, don't drive that anywhere near a bus load of nuns. The tie rod looks like it's seen better days, too.

Other that that, it's looking better.

Engine crossmember looks like standard hot rod style from Speedway, etc.

I sleeved my PS box through the frame, too. I found a few more pics:
P6270036.JPG

P6270035.JPG

P6270033.JPG

After I took this pic, vvvv I also welded large washers over the sleeves to help spread the load over more of the frame.
P6270032.JPG

I chopped up the stock steering column bracket, added and extra piece of angle that ties into the pedal assembly and the firewall. On the engine side, it has a clamp at the fire wall and another u-bolt along the inner fender to clear the exhaust.

P5100003.JPG

·
Premium Member
3,298 Posts
not sure what is scarier, the hilift jack stands or the steering links.
Hi lift = 1 dude dead ( as Darwin would predict)

Steering link = Killing a bus load of autistic school children.

On second thought, the link may be fine for moving around your yard and checking some things.

The Hi lift as a means of support, just plain wrong.

·
Registered
848 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
All of the parts are new on the Z bar. The other supports are not finished because I do not have a welder, and it gets welded as i can find people to weld for me. Any driving will be limited to streets only. I personally dont like Z bars, (even this one) but like i said before its all temporary until i put my 44 in. I just got offered a 12 bolt or a 9" for free for the rear last night also.

·
Registered
848 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
"It's only temporary... unless it works!"-Red Green

I know that Z-bar is temporary, until you can get the axle swap and go hi-steer, but please for the love of god, don't drive that anywhere near a bus load of nuns. The tie rod looks like it's seen better days, too.

Other that that, it's looking better.

Engine crossmember looks like standard hot rod style from Speedway, etc.

I sleeved my PS box through the frame, too. I found a few more pics:
View attachment 489817

View attachment 489818

View attachment 489819

After I took this pic, vvvv I also welded large washers over the sleeves to help spread the load over more of the frame.
View attachment 489820

I chopped up the stock steering column bracket, added and extra piece of angle that ties into the pedal assembly and the firewall. On the engine side, it has a clamp at the fire wall and another u-bolt along the inner fender to clear the exhaust.

View attachment 489821
Thanks for the pictures, they give me ideas for the future.

·
Addicted to Gear Oil
9,981 Posts
Here is a pic of the condition of my front 44. When i bought the scout it came with the front 44 and a shortened 60 for the rear.
All of the parts are new on the Z bar. The other supports are not finished because I do not have a welder, and it gets welded as i can find people to weld for me. Any driving will be limited to streets only. I personally dont like Z bars, (even this one) but like i said before its all temporary until i put my 44 in. I just got offered a 12 bolt or a 9" for free for the rear last night also.
You already have a D44 rear, not worth swapping in a 12bolt. Maybe a built 9" but don't you have a D44 and D60 to swap in?? :confused: Do you have a complete D44 or is it just the housing you had a pic of?

If the D44 and D60 are even halfway assembled, get to swappin' and quit wasting time welding shock tabs on an axle you plan on swapping out. Now if they are in pieces in the corner and you're missing a bunch of parts...well that's a different story.

Keep on truckin' Jerm...this build does have potential. It only took Brandon 10 years to build/drive his:flipoff2:

·
Registered
848 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
You already have a D44 rear, not worth swapping in a 12bolt. Maybe a built 9" but don't you have a D44 and D60 to swap in?? :confused: Do you have a complete D44 or is it just the housing you had a pic of?

If the D44 and D60 are even halfway assembled, get to swappin' and quit wasting time welding shock tabs on an axle you plan on swapping out. Now if they are in pieces in the corner and you're missing a bunch of parts...well that's a different story.
When i bought the scout it came with a shortened 60 for the rear, and a shortened 44 for the front, but are not assembled and are missing parts.
It will cost a lot of money to build those axles. Since then i bought a complete Front 44 that was just rebuilt and never ran for $175, but it is full width. So after being offered the 12 bolt and the 9, i have a lot of options to think about. I probably will run what ever of the 2 will closest match the width of the new front 44 (I really hope its the 9") and sell the others.

Keep on truckin' Jerm...this build does have potential. It only took Brandon 10 years to build/drive his:flipoff2:
Thanks for the input, I hope it doesn't take as long as Brandon's but your never know. :D
looks good. except the Z bar:flipoff2:
definitely moving quicker than mine.
Thanks beefcake!

·
Debauchery Wizard
9,852 Posts
I'm reclaiming the garage so I can build under cover. Soon as I get done(hopefully tomorrow) i'll roll it in and get flying. The guy that is supposed to have my motor isn't responding anymore. I may have to put it back up for trade.

·
Debauchery Wizard
9,852 Posts
Swung by your hood today to get a lok at the scout in person. Pretty slick. So if you noticed a white expedition with a pirate sticker in the back, it was just a stalker, not a thief:flipoff2:

·
Registered
848 Posts
Discussion Starter #60 (Edited)
LOL, i have a local fan club. :D I can drive it over if either of you want a better look at it. I can bring it by if either of you want to look at it. I went and played a little in the mud last night. Nothing crazy, just wanted to stretch its legs a little.

41 - 60 of 303 Posts