Pirate 4x4 banner

41 - 60 of 835 Posts

·
Registered
11,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
I guess I should call it project slow poke or maybe baby steps..

anyway, got the steel for the new front crossmember and cut off the old bumper (4 rusted solid bolts). I cut down the sides of the old rad support but not all the way through - I'll wait till the new crossmember is in for that.

Got a deal on the steal, caught em when they were closing so instead of $30 it was $20 cash :)

I'll use part of the excess to make part of the motor mounts (the part that extends out from the frame).

·
Registered
11,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
new front crossmember - this project is gonna win some record for slooooow pace! I just need to clean up the cuts so they are flush (cut off wheel and portaband aren't the most precise things)

my lil helper (#2)

debating what to do for the front perch, I dig the BTF buckets but $150 is pretty pricey when you can pick up jeep ones for $15 ea, still..

They drop 4" which is nice, I wouldn't have to fab up a hoaky drop bracket.

rear suspension hangers - I need to get some shackle end hangers (or make em, but I don't exactly have much time these days!)

·
Registered
11,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
I bought the buckets - cost nearly as much as both scouts combined LOL

These are next for purchases

I have fabricated pretty much everything for my last two rigs but because of time and the addition of two kids this one is getting more stuff bought and if I gotta buy it I'm gettin the good chit ;)

·
Registered
11,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
I made an attempt to put in the motor without modifying the frame etc, but that just isn't happenin' so I chopped some stuff out today - core support and front crossmember/motor mounts. All the while my 8 month old daughter was snoozing about 15 feet away in her Jeep stroller LOL

I was wishing I had a torch of some kind today! BUT, I was glad I had a portaband ;)

·
Registered
11,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
GRMhick said:
Keep up the good work. I'm watching it. Doing the math this week to see if I can afford (and have the time) to part out my old dodge, and use most of the parts in a scout 80.

I need to keep a running cost total for the project, probably about $500 so far but $200 of that is still in the mail on its way to me.

Helps having parts from a previous project!

·
Registered
11,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
UPS man is my friend..

I paid the extra $10 for the iron cross on that thing to match the one that is supposed to be in the front bucket (this pic from their site)

But no cross when I got it :( They are beef but I was pretty bummed my bling bling was missing its bling bling!

Bummer it works out the thing is gonna be sticking out in front of the frame - I'll have to make a tube gusset deal to blend it in or something

·
Registered
339 Posts
ihojeff said:
Those are pretty sweet. Where did ya get them at?
Rubicon express also sells JJs if the curry ones aren't ideal for you.

I'm hoping to do this with a second pair of JJs fitted into the frame side spring eyelet on my wagoneer. I have a pivot system up front now and a slider out back that does the same thing (keep the spring level under articulation so it only flexes up and down, no twisting) but it's a rather bulky system that's costing me clearance. the JJs make it a clean, high-clearance installation....

·
Registered
11,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
robselina said:
Rubicon express also sells JJs if the curry ones aren't ideal for you.

I'm hoping to do this with a second pair of JJs fitted into the frame side spring eyelet on my wagoneer. I have a pivot system up front now and a slider out back that does the same thing (keep the spring level under articulation so it only flexes up and down, no twisting) but it's a rather bulky system that's costing me clearance. the JJs make it a clean, high-clearance installation....

I would have bought theirs but they didn't have any in stock when I wanted mine. No prob with the ones I got though..

·
Premium Member
8,197 Posts
Brandon said:
I need to keep a running cost total for the project, probably about $500 so far but $200 of that is still in the mail on its way to me.

Helps having parts from a previous project!
yes you do!!

If I go through with this (the deal on the scout I wanted to buy looks like It may fall through) I hope to spend under 2k.

But thats because I want to reseal my motor (rebuilt in 96, hasnt been run since 98), rebuild my 727 (about 100), buy a 203/205 adapter (450), a 205 (200), get the drivelines re-tubed (about 300), then I have to do highsteer on my 10 bolt, get new wheels for my mtr's, etc.

I think it will end up closer to 4k.

Find any nice scouts for sale for cheap lately, preferabally that run and I could do the con in as is?

·
Registered
11,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
no but I know of a 61' for $300 with a half cab top - it's stock though so to do the ruby it would need some tlc. Good starting price though for a straight body etc.

41 - 60 of 835 Posts