Pirate 4x4 banner

61 - 80 of 835 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,778 Posts
GRMhick said:
Find any nice scouts for sale for cheap lately, preferabally that run and I could do the con in as is?
Dude...that is a very loaded question....ha ha ha...

Cheap, and running, and driveable over the namesake of this website...

·
Registered
425 Posts
cheap and running dont always go hand in hand. I'm with HOS - thats a loaded question. I been building my free scout for almost 3 years now and it still is not driveable. If you want a scout - pay a little more and get one with some capability in it.
OR
go cheap and work on it for years - then play when your getting too old to enjoy it. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
11,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
dirtydury said:
what is your pinion angle going to be like with only a 4" drop on your front perch?

It will be just a tad below pointing right at the tcase :D

It's a custom built 3/4 ton HP D44

Wifes taking the fam for the day tomorrow so stay tuned for some progress hopefully :grinpimp:

·
Registered
11,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
couldn't get a good sideview of where the tire will be but I'm guessing it's 2-3" forward (I forgot to set a benchmark dimension for the center of the old spring, oops)

Rear suspension - I had a block between the frame but ditched it, and shortened the shackles. I want to keep it as low as possible this time..

Front of rear suspension - just tacked but tacked pretty good - this is pretty much set, about 2" back of stock for center pin with wagoneer rear leaf springs flipped front to back for departure angle.

·
Registered
11,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #69
not much to add, squeezed in a little time after work today but it's gotta be about 150 degrees here! Gotta go get some new blades for the bandsaw but in the meantime I used the cutoff wheel to remove the shock towers and bump stop brackets. Also the old spring hangers. I'll be back at it tomorrow..

For some reason my welder is running like crap :(

Seems like there is no juice and I got it cranked. Not sure why - might have to bring her in :(

·
Registered
8,868 Posts
What kind of welder is it? Is it binding in the spool? I had a problem and it ended up being my liner. Runs like a champ now.

The scout looks good. At least you have the dedication to get as much done as possible when youhave time. I am cutious about those rear shackle hangers. I wonder if they will force you all over the road, or if you shuold be fine that way.

dIma

·
Registered
11,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #71 (Edited)
Flatty said:
What kind of welder is it? Is it binding in the spool? I had a problem and it ended up being my liner. Runs like a champ now.

The scout looks good. At least you have the dedication to get as much done as possible when youhave time. I am cutious about those rear shackle hangers. I wonder if they will force you all over the road, or if you shuold be fine that way.

dIma

I used them on my truck with much longer shackles as a DD - no effects at all honestly. I've heard bad things about putting them in front though. Did some more work tonight, unfortunatly with all the heat and the family gone I think I hit the :beer: too much and didn't get as much done as planned. Oh well, got tomorrow and a couple more days ;)

Just cut off the rest of the bump stops and spring hangers tonight, that's about it. Did some runnig around and got some stuff I needed. Tried to pull the spool out but that SOB is in there tight! I dunno, gotta pry it out with something. Shafts are slid out and the carrier bolts and whatever ya call those things are off, it should just slip out.. uh huh...

Dude - how's the cruiser???

Anyway, taking friday off and will be doing more tomorrow, hope to have some progress but it always take ME 10x longer than planned..

oh yea, picked up a new liner and tips for my hobart 135 (poor mans Miller), but didn't get to put it in and test it. I need a bigger welder, but I have done a lot with this one, can't complain..

·
Registered
11,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #73
yea, nothing that shows but I've been grinding away - few pics..

this is about how far the front axle went forward

more grinding

I need a bigger grinding wheel..

my jig for finding where to put the shackle, worked pretty good..

Ground down everythign off of the front HD HP 44 axle

and rear HD 60..

·
Registered
11,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #74 (Edited)
picked up another "donor" rig, mostly for the straight much less rusty than the one I have top, and a few small things.

next comes the chop in half and off to the yard..

I have both axles stripped completely and I have the ring gears on the new ARB's that are gonna go in the diffs, just need to clear my garage back out and get the gears setup. Got a dial type in-lb torque wrench in the mail on its way and I picked up a digital caliper for making measuring shims easier.

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
WOW looks great it's nice to see big $$$ go into the old 80/800's :grinpimp:
This thing is going to be badass.........

·
Registered
11,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #76
BLK Scout 800 said:
WOW looks great it's nice to see big $$$ go into the old 80/800's :grinpimp:
This thing is going to be badass.........

This is my third complete custom frame up rig so this time I'm gonna take my time and do it right :grinpimp:

Plus, I'm goin a little old school - This baby is gonna take a wax shine and be something I can appreciate wether I am on the trail or parked at work :smokin:

I don't think I have done an update in a looong time.

I also got DOM 2"x.135 wall tubing for the shackles in the frame, but every 3 months my projects get put on hold for 3 months practically untill I pass my engineering test.

Anyway, once I clear this rig outa my garage I can get back to the one on my sideyard. Next step finish diffs and then mount engine/tranny. Then rip it all back apart and make it bling bling with paint etc :grinpimp:

·
Registered
11,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #77 (Edited)
Brandon said:
This is my third complete custom frame up rig so this time I'm gonna take my time and do it right :grinpimp:

Plus, I'm goin a little old school - This baby is gonna take a wax shine and be something I can appreciate wether I am on the trail or parked at work :smokin:

I don't think I have done an update in a looong time.

I also got DOM 2"x.135 wall tubing for the shackles in the frame, but every 3 months my projects get put on hold for 3 months practically untill I pass my engineering test.

Anyway, once I clear this rig outa my garage I can get back to the one on my sideyard. Next step finish diffs and then mount engine/tranny. Then rip it all back apart and make it bling bling with paint etc :grinpimp:

A month later and I still haven't finished the diffs :shaking:

I did pick up my tranny finally - C6 auto. The wife is taking the kids outa town next weekend so I can work on my junk. If anyone knows anything about setting up gears/arb's pizza n beer is on me :grinpimp:

I'm hoping to finish the diffs and make it a rolling chassis again so I can put it in my garage.. hoping that is..

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Keep up the good work Brandon..looks great!

·
Registered
11,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #80 (Edited)
Brandon said:
trying to squeeze an hour in every night but sometimes moving large parts by yourself take a a while :rolleyes:

Got the trailer out of the back yard (wife was about to disown me) and got the rear of the scout off of jack stands. My weekend goal is to drop in the engine, tranny, transfer case, and front axle. Nothing will be really "mounted" but I hope to get it in place so I can start fabbing hangers and mounts etc.

I need to go buy some hangers and perches, stopped by S&H here in town and all I can say is R I P O F F

I will never go back there, they were OVER twice the price of even 4wheel parts! I like to help the little guy but that's plain nuts..

I just had to quote this, nearly a year ago and I still haven't done what I wanted to get done that weekend :(

Project sure has changed though :grinpimp:

61 - 80 of 835 Posts