Pirate 4x4 banner

121 - 140 of 835 Posts

·
Registered
11,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #122 (Edited)
I didn't get the u-bolts on yet, and they are 37's. I like the height of yours - that is more of what I was goin for! Just curious - what does the height to the bottom of the front of your frame measure out to?

·
Premium Member
8,777 Posts
Brandon...

I am with Mocha here...Those springs look megaaaa tall. I will try to post some pics for you this weekend of my with some waaaayyyy flatter springs.

The springs in your photo look like some 4"ers or more due to the arch...

2" lower and some wealthy fender trimming and you will look good.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Hey Brandon, It looks like a lot of arch to me as well, but remember you have NO weight on them at all. The u-bolts aren't tight and there is hardly any sheet metal on that thing let alone a motor and trans. It is not going to drop a foot but I bet it will drop at least 4-5 inches when the truck is complete. That whole tub and fenders may only weigh 5 or 6 hundred pounds. Just a suggestion but I would get it a lot closer to cmplete before I started pulling out springs and cutting sheet metal. I actually think it looks sweet but I like tall Scouts. Either way keep up the good work, I really enjoy seeing it come to life. :smokin:

·
Registered
11,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #125
I'm liking the stance, it is wider than I thought but I like that :)

depending on weather I hope to find the time this weekend to drop in the engine :)

·
Registered
5,558 Posts
Snoopy said:
Looks good, I'd expect it to drop a bunch when you put the engine and all the little stuff back on (rad, heater, etc).
HEY, Quit coveting other peoples rigs and get YOUR rig done! :D

·
Registered
11,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #129
well I snuck out and dropped the engine in tonight - sucks not having any free time to tinker :(

Anyway, the cherry picker wouldn't go any further but I think the engine should - just not sure how far. I put on some truck manifolds and I think they are gonna work pretty good!

Not so sure about the cradle mount though..

I really wish there was SOMEONE here with a SBF to compare mounting locations! As it sits the ford mounts are right where the old IH ones were...

·
Granite Guru
3,288 Posts
Brandon said:
I really wish there was SOMEONE here with a SBF to compare mounting locations! As it sits the ford mounts are right where the old IH ones were...
Center it left to right.

Push it as far back as you can with out major firewall work. Its nice if you can get it far enough back that you can still fit a winch behind the grill. From the pics it looks like you could move it back alot more with a little bit of work on the fire wall.

Put it as low as you can, but keep it just high enough that you still have a flat belly under the trans and t-case.

Thats all there is to it. Just make sure the axle isn't going to hit anything at full compression.

·
Registered
11,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #132
Ben W said:
Center it left to right.

Push it as far back as you can with out major firewall work. Its nice if you can get it far enough back that you can still fit a winch behind the grill. From the pics it looks like you could move it back alot more with a little bit of work on the fire wall.

Put it as low as you can, but keep it just high enough that you still have a flat belly under the trans and t-case.

Thats all there is to it. Just make sure the axle isn't going to hit anything at full compression.

think it is important to center left to right? The hole is definately off center and I was going to put it about 2" toward the pass side..

·
Granite Guru
3,288 Posts
Its not critical. Lots of people put engines off center in various swaps. 2" towards the pass side won't make too much of a difference.

·
Registered
11,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #134 (Edited)
ordering a cage from D&C, even though I have started making my own bender time is pretty much nonexistent for me lately so this will get something in there :)

Current hold up is the tcase, I'd really like the STAK or 4sp Atlas but just don't have the $$$ right now. The other cheap option to get me going is a 205 which I am having a hard time hunting down..

·
"All Weeee Drive!"
12,089 Posts
Are you keeping the saddle tanks?

If not, I'd see if you can get the B pillar feet to meet on the upper portion of the bed. You can then tie it to the frame where the tanks used to be.

This is the only thing I don't like about Damian's cages... (no offense Damian).

·
Registered
11,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #136
Currently I am planning on keeping them, somewhere sells new "non spill" fill tubes (was it Fleckster??). I don't know how well those work but that is my current plan. I did notice that bend and didn't really know why it was done that way - now IC..

·
Registered
11,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #138 (Edited)
Mine are actually amazingly clean, but the filler necks are shot. No more saddles on yours? I wouldn't mind the storage area without the tanks..

hmm that looks like just some adapter - not the filler itself which I need..

121 - 140 of 835 Posts