Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dropped the gas tank, removed fuel equalizer, seats, flooring and front axle friday. The new front axle is a stock dana 60 with and electric locker, 14 bolt rear axle has detroit locker and disc brakes. Front suspension will be leaf springs with no shackle design.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Here's the no shackle design. It's strong and fairly simple and will allow a slightly lower ride height. We will be using outboarded chevy leafs.

Attachments

·
Registered
57 Posts
the front will be 56" tahoe springs with orbit eyes and custom spring sliders shackle side forward. rear will be in-boarded 63" chevys will no overloads, orbit eyes snd custom sliders as well. traction bar in rear, ????? in the front. bilstein 5165's in each corner. 39X14.50x17 pitbull maddogs on allied rockathons. my goal is to keep it as low as possible. im going to put a terra low kit in the 20 because i can get a good deal. im going to do a mild boat side and possibly pinch the front and rear. lots of dom. i havent decided on steering yet but it has to move the 39's. the 345 and 727 stay for now but some day it will hopefully hold some type of an ls motor, 4l8e, doubler or an atlas. but thats after i destroy the current mill. ive got to get this project in wheeling form by june because my buddy is getting married at holy cross and it will be a nice mild trail to test her out.

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Pinittowinit707- have you removed all the stock suspension brackets yet? Have you decided on buying or building the perches? hit me up :mr-t:

·
Premium Member
7,177 Posts
Ive been looking into sliders for quite a while, the jeep guys all seem happy with them. All the commercially made ones I have seen use derlin or similar, are those home brewed? Is the slider and the front hanger at the same height? How about some details on their construction?

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I stole the picture just to represent the concept design. I'm waiting to hear from pinit707 to decide on milling slots in 3/8" plate and fab them for him or if he wants to buy the ones they make for jeeps. I like the idea of making them from 3/8" plate, 1/2" keystock and some derlin or sleeved sealed bearings. We'll see

·
Registered
57 Posts
going to build them out of 3/8 plate. the ones that you can buy are only 1/4 plate and they tend to bend. probably use kevlar for slider bushing that ive got laying around. im not to big on ball bearing idea unless it were a drag car. in most leaf spring suspensions you want the eyes as level as possible.

·
Registered
486 Posts
how well does that no shackle design work?
iv seen it acouple times on here but i know
nothing about it, and it seems pretty dam cool

·
Registered
57 Posts
how well does that no shackle design work?
iv seen it acouple times on here but i know
nothing about it, and it seems pretty dam cool
not sure. many people think they only make a good ramp queen but my sole perpose for using them is so i dont have big ass shackles hanging off the front and back off the frame. it should keep the truck at the belly hight im looking for. im going to start building them next week hopefully.

·
Registered
57 Posts
well the 56" springs arnt going to work for me. they are going to stick further out the front of the frame than i want. i want to have a decent approach so i have set of 52" k5 rear springs that is more in the ball park im looking for. i really want to run a longer spring than a 52". a good set of f150 would be nice with the offset center pin but all the ones ive seen pnp have bent mains. that leads me to believe that the ford springs suck. i know some burbs have offset center pins but i havent found any good ones to start with. so its back to the drawing board for the front springs.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts