Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 1175 Posts

·
Registered
10,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I bought the rig new in July of 1994. My first new vehicle and I was right out of college. It got a small lift and 32's and I drove it like that for 10 years and 175K miles.

Keeping stock 3 liter. Transmission is a Marlin Crawler modified 5 speed with a 5.15:1 first gear ratio. This is mated to a 4.7:1 Marlin Crawler case (3.0 V6 adapter, 4.7:1 reduction gears, 3.4 V6 adapter to the transfer case) which is mated to a transfer case from a '99 4Runner.

Axles are Mog 404's, narrowed 7 inches (primarily to center the rear diff, but also to keep overall width within reason)
Final ratio of Axles is 7.56:1. Pinions converted to Toyota, front and rear disc brakes, air actuated front and rear factory Mog lockers.
AND.....
Central Tire Inflation!!!
Hutchinson Hummer wheels (H1's) 17 X 8.5 wrapped in 40 X 13.5 Goodyear MTR's.
I have a HP 1000 Oasis Air Compressor running on 24 volts (Odyssey 2150 batteries) This runs the CTIS, lockers and Air Bag suspension. Suspension is by AiRock. Will be modifying this system to adapt to my custom 4 link.
A Howe hydraulic steering system with 8 in ram.
FJ 80 brake master cyl. to help firm up the brake pedal and handle the big rear discs.
Also have a NWOR set of headers on the way since I have to build a completely new exhaust system. The stock system was right where my front driveshaft needs to be.
now a couple of pics...
The second and third I just found from 2001..."Before" pics.

Attachments

·
Registered
10,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
From the rear...

Right now, my friend Ray Pikul has all of the frame cleaned up and has installed the Marlin Crawler reduction unit and the Howe hydraulic steering assist. I am still waiting on my axles to be delivered. Everything else except for the headers and the transfer case (which I bought today from a guy in San Jose, CA) is ready to go on.

Attachments

·
Registered
24,646 Posts
That's a damn clean 4runer to build up! You keeping it complete because it gets street driven or because of the midwest weather? I ask just because of the weight of that sucker once it's done!

Cool parts, cool rig, lotsa benjamin's to boot! :smokin:

·
Registered
10,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Some answers.

I am keeping it complete because it will still see plenty of street time and because it is not a purpose built rock crawler. It is more of an all purpose expedition vehicle. Yes it will be heavy but it will be geared well and the weight is very low so that is a good thing on a 4Runner as they are very top heavy to begin with.
I also chose this vehicle because I already own it outright. I bought it new 2 months after I graduated college.
The rear bumper is by Stout, but they went out of business in '99 or so.

·
Banned
9,402 Posts
Very nice build... But either someone just died or you got a credit card with a really high limit!

If I could afford a build like this, I would probably only change the year of 4runner used (I like first gen 4runners) and the power plant (7mge or 3.4 Taco motor). other than that very NICE!

·
Registered
4,116 Posts
Looking awesome. Where'd you get them Hummer wheels?? I want some, but I a broke college student. Oh and nice hoist in the front.

4rnrrick my guess is that he is an unmarried engineer, says he's in the millitary too (=free housing, and living expenses?). They tend to have more money then they know what to do with (I can't wait till I graduate). But for his sake I hope he got a lady friend, sucks not having one.

·
Registered
10,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
This and that

I am just in the Army Reserves but we aren't getting much respect these days. And I am now on the inactive reserve list but that doesn't make much difference these days either.
Actually I am also an executive with the May Company but this project has taken literally years to save for and I have been hoarding parts for over 2 years. And like I said, its paid for. My DD is an '03 TRD Double Cab that I will sell as soon as I get this bad boy back on the street.
And yes its been wheeled plenty in the Uncompahgre and San Juan mountains around my hometown in Colorado. The difference is I work very hard for my gear and am not into abusing it.
AND I am married (unless my wife were to find out about the total $ spent on this project) an have 2 children and 1 on the way.

·
Registered
4,116 Posts
Well, sorry I saw ya wrong, but hey ya got more going for ya than I do right now. And yeah I'm sure none of us want to know what those rims alone cost ya, but it'll be bitching so it's all worth it. I can't wait to see it once it's done.

1 - 20 of 1175 Posts