-35" BFG M/T's
-carbed Chevy 350, TH350, adapted to Toy case
-lots of items that guarantee this was once a show-type truck to *someone* :p

Here's what I already have for it:
-Stock 72 Chevy Dana 60 rear, 65" wide
-rear weld-on disk brake brackets from www.metalfusionfab.com
-4.88 gears, welded carrier

Narrowed Dodge 60 front to 63.5" wide
-Custom one-off 3/4 ton brake disk brackets (same calipers & rotors front & rear) from www.metalfusionfab.com
-stock 4.88s
-ARB

Front springs are a combination of a used Skyjacker 5" pack using top 2 rear main leaves. Front hanger will be 1" forward for a total of 3".

Rear springs will be the ones from my 90 truck - stock 90 model upper 2 main leaves combined with the rest of a used Skyjacker 4" pack.

Wheels are Hummer w/ magnesium beadlocks, runflats cut off. Tires are well used 42" TSL's (till I figure out what works on here).

Shocks are 9012's front, 13" ProComp's rear

Still undecided on steering - I have the IFS box, but may go full hydro on this.

The carb on the 350 is getting tossed in favor of a prolane setup, using a 40 gallon tank in the bed.

I am pulling the single Toy case out and will be installing my dual case setup from my old truck.

My old truck was MUCH nicer than this one will be, and I wish I had the time to build it back up, but I am barely finding the time to get started on this one - so it will have to do.

Anyway, that is what I have so far - I will update this weekly with pics and details of my progress :)

·
Super Moderator
'82 Scrambler, '14 Rzr
62,010 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Be my guest - but I will be the first to admit I should have never pulled the first part off my old truck and started this mess :(

I am determined to get this thing together - I have been truckless long enough :p

Anyway - here is the 60 front getting ready to be narrowed:

·
Super Moderator
'82 Scrambler, '14 Rzr
62,010 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Here are the brackets I had made to be able to run 3/4 ton disks and calipers on the front 60. BIG weight savings, and much cheaper parts to replace.

And here are the weld on rear caliper brackets, then the complete rear brakes on my axle:

·
Super Moderator
'82 Scrambler, '14 Rzr
62,010 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
convertiyota said:
Sounds like a cool project. Do you have a deadline or estimated completion date??
Oh... about a year ago? :p

Seems like every time I set a date, it gets pushed back. Then again - 3 nights every week I don't get home till 10pm from school, and that is after working all day - so my time is pretty limited as far as getting out to the shop to get anything done.

Last night I got a whole hour to myself to get out to the shop - and only got one 42 mounted on a hummer beadlock before I had to come back to the house.

All that said - I should have it together within about 5 weeks from now. I have pretty much everything I need, just gotta assemble it :)

The front ARB is getting installed this weekend, and once it is in I can order the custom long side shaft and assemble the complete front axle under the truck.
For the rear I need to get the gears set up, weld the carrier - and assemble it under the truck.

·
Premium Member
16,324 Posts
glad to here its coming along. just out of curiousity, what was wrong with the other truck? that thing was clean.

·
Super Moderator
'82 Scrambler, '14 Rzr
62,010 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
mobil1syn said:
glad to here its coming along. just out of curiousity, what was wrong with the other truck? that thing was clean.
Nothing. Not a dang thing was wrong with it - and that is what makes me so sick :(

My old truck was doing everything I wanted it to do. But I got the "go big" bug, and a "too good to refuse" offer for my front axle in the fall of 2001 - and that is how it all started.

Listen close, you can probably hear the sound of me kicking myself right now...

Longfields had just come out, and had yet to be proved so at the time most of us say them as just another Marfield that was gonna fail - it was just a matter of when.

And to be honest - if Longfields had been proven a few months earlier, I would have spent the last year and a half wheeling instead of hating myself for taking my truck apart.

Here is the sad state it is in now:

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
'82 Scrambler, '14 Rzr
62,010 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Oh yeah, there is more to the story.

Right now I have enough parts to build whatever truck I want. I could technically* start building the old blue truck back up too. But since the 350/TH350 is already in the white 83 - it would be faster to build it.

It is a compromise I am not happy with to be sure. The white truck is ugly, beat up, and is a "beater" whereas my blue truck was pretty nice looking.

So I figure I can build the white truck, beat it up real good, and not worry about the body like I used to with the blue truck. Then, once it is DOA, it is an easy matter to swap everything over to the blue truck and have it back :)

That was the main reason I chose to narrow the front 60 - allowing me to put it under any Toyota I want ;)

So eventually, the goal is to have my blue truck back but with al of these nifty new parts... but in the mean time the white truck gets me on the trail faster, so that is what is getting built.

·
Registered
24,646 Posts
I was gonna ask the same thing David ;) You could have still been wheelin the blue boy and still collecting parts, but we all do silly things and regret it. Me to, so I won't rub it in to badly :p

Why did Longs have t be sooo damn good....lol

·
Registered
27,885 Posts
you have until 9am, march 22nd. see you at the lakebed:flipoff2: :D

keep us posted, nice to see you wrenchin again:D

·
Does yer dewg bite?
5,664 Posts
We all know too well how long projects take. I started with a 4.3L swap and ended up with a 4.3L - R151 - D60 - 14bolt.
That little project took me about 7-8 months.
Keep us posted on the progress.
Oh yea, kids don't help when working on these projects. I started mine right after my some was born :)

·
Super Moderator
'82 Scrambler, '14 Rzr
62,010 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
vova said:
Oh yea, kids don't help when working on these projects. I started mine right after my some was born :)
You've got that right!

And we are dealing with a 2yr old AND a preemie born at the end of October....

Medical insurance covers most, but this last kid is costing me about $5k out of pocket between the week in ICU @ $32k and $1500 a month Synagis shots till May :eek:

Not only that, After working 7-4 every day, 3 nights a week I go to school till 10pm so I can FINALLY graduate in May. Let me tell you - sometimes come the weekend you don't WANT to do anything but hold your recliner down....

Needles to say - not only was my wrenching/wheeling time cut into - so was the budget :(

But that is all chit-chat, I will post more pics and details as I progress :D

·
Registered
7,257 Posts
What are those rear calipers and rotors (late 70 3/4t chevy?), that is about the best close up rear disk setup pic I think Ive seen on here.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Is that a Fly-N-Hi sticker on the windsheild of the white one?:eek: I used to work there in High School. That thing was definately a wannabe show truck for someone. Good luck I hope things go as speedy as you plan. I'm getting ready to tear my truck back down to take care of some nagging demons. I halfassed a lot of shit so I could wheel the damned thing and it wasn't worth it. After 2 trips it's getting torn back down to redo stuff. Do it once do it right. Good Luck

Travis

·
Super Moderator
'82 Scrambler, '14 Rzr
62,010 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Pdaddy said:
What are those rear calipers and rotors (late 70 3/4t chevy?), that is about the best close up rear disk setup pic I think Ive seen on here.

"yep" on the calipers and rotors.

I gotta give a HUGE plug to www.metalfusionfab.com

He will sell you the caliber brackets for $45 ($15 more for the brake line brackets if you want 'em). But the real deal maker is that he includes a set of instructions and an EXACT parts list (including part numbers) where you can literally walk into the local parts store and walk out with the EXACT parts you need.

IMHO - that alone is well worth the $45. With his parts list, you should be able to do a complete rear disk brake setup on a 44 or 60 rear (maybe a Toyota? be the first to try :) ) for under $250 with all new parts from the parts store... cheaper if you scrounge used parts.

·
Super Moderator
'82 Scrambler, '14 Rzr
62,010 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Overkiller said:
Is that a Fly-N-Hi sticker on the windsheild of the white one?:eek: I used to work there in High School. That thing was definately a wannabe show truck for someone.

Travis

The day it got home, that was one of the first "mods" I made... I took off that nasty :barf: chrome sun visor, and scraped that Fly-N-High sticker off the windshield ;)

·
Registered
197 Posts
Waaaaaay too much bed on the white one :D
Dont worry about it man, I`m sure it will end up at a point youre proud of, I feel for you though, I just tried the 16th inspection station today to try to get myself back on the road....no dice. So god speed to you! You`ll probly get there before I do at this rate. :rolleyes:

·
Super Moderator
'82 Scrambler, '14 Rzr
62,010 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
BlueYota said:
Waaaaaay too much bed on the white one :D
D'ya think? :p

I am kinda not sure about that. On one hand - the 40 gallon propane tank needs a LOT of room, and I want eventually to chop the cab and run a back seat too. So assuming that, I don;t have a problem leaving the long bed on there with some good tube for protection.

But if I feel like it, I have another already bobbed long bed behind the shop... pretty beat up, but rust free and the hard part is already done ;)

Keep in mind too that I will be running 42" TSL's - so even though the bed may be long, the truck is not exactly gonna be low to the ground...

1 - 20 of 338 Posts