Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here are a couple pics of the new rear suspension. I used Spidertrax springs and mounting bracket, made my own cross-member and links. Axle is a 58" toy that I shaved and had passenger side shortened 1.5" to get a little offset but still run stock 55" axle shaft.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
These pics were taken while everything was tack-welded in place. I did add braces and re-inforced the upper link mount on the axle housing.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The upper links are 30.75" long, the lower links are 29.75" long. They sit at about 11*, are parallel, and are about 6.25" apart vertically at the frame and at the axle. The pinion is at about 14*, slightly below being pointed directly at the t-case.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Here is the begining of the toy IFS power steering. Thanks alot to Moto261 for all the help with this part.

Ok, what do you guys think?

Attachments

·
Registered
81 Posts
Looks good!! How much did you shave off the bottom of the diff??

Edit: That main leaf looks like it's gonna get a workout

·
Registered
3,061 Posts
nice!!!!looks similar to my set up except im running sidewinders...when you shim your spring pack you should add the same degree shim on the bottom or your mount or your spring will bend upwards.It looks like thats whats happening to your mount.

·
Registered
27,885 Posts
looks great! how are you mounting your shocks. i have procomp3000's and the mounts are standard bushings, im worried about breaking them off the mounts as the bushings have little flex in them...

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Uphiir:

I shaved about 3/4" or so off the diff. Probably could have done a little more, but this was my first time doing it so I was a little conservative.

Islandzuki:

Thanks for the info about shims, I actually hadn't even noticed that mount bending up like that.

BigFrank:

The calipers are front '80 monte carlo's, so no e-brake. Didn't have the money for the calipers with the e-brake on them, they were twice as much.

Booger Weldz:

Nothing special with the shock mounts. Upper's are basically stock, just moved inboard. The lowers are old mounts I welded to the axle.

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
Boy this is some good tech stuff, the way this board should look. Diff shaving, rear disc, link set-up etc. All the questions I was going to ask. I'm loving it. Keep it coming.

·
Registered
550 Posts
I found this recipe a wile back on the net.
http://205.150.191.126/aweber/brakes.htm

He uses the same caliper, but in a some what
different orientation.
He has it mounted off the backside whereas
you have it mounted off center on the top.

It looks great don't get me wrong, I want to do the same myself
it's just that will you be able to bleed the lines properly
with the bleeder screw on top like that?

Keep the pictures coming.:)

·
Registered
4,947 Posts
BigFrank said:
I found this recipe a wile back on the net.
http://205.150.191.126/aweber/brakes.htm

He uses the same caliper, but in a some what
different orientation.
He has it mounted off the backside whereas
you have it mounted off center on the top.

It looks great don't get me wrong, I want to do the same myself
it's just that will you be able to bleed the lines properly

Keep the pictures coming.:)

There store bought brackets(Sky's) So it's his fault if they don't bleed:flipoff2:

·
Registered
12,996 Posts
BigFrank said:
It's just that will you be able to bleed the lines properly
I didn't check the link... but where else is the bleeder screw supposed to go? :confused:

The air gathers in the highest point in the caliper.

Mine will probably end up rotated around the hub 90 degrees so that they're laid on top of the rotor, so to speak. Get them up out of the mud, and it's not THAT hard to undo two bolts to bleed 'em. ;)

·
Registered
283 Posts
that's a pretty sick setup..

i was thinkin of a setup like that

thumbsup

1 - 15 of 15 Posts