Pirate 4x4 banner

my runner inst running need help!!!!!

827 views 21 replies 10 participants last post by  B_RAD_BALLA 
#1 ·
my 4 runner 22re was cruisin along on the freeway an all of a sudden i heard a ticking so i pushed in the clutch and it died. it was overheated. it wouldnt start up for a log time but it finally did and barely ran. it ran like crap and heated up really fast again. i turnrd on the heater to cool it but cold air came out:confused:. it finally died again after a few mionutes and has been dead ever since. will turn over but will not start. i have ruled out these things: clogged cat, bad plugs, no gas in tank:D, has oil, and i think thats all i know. im pretty excited about the $200 dollar tow bill. so any help would be greatly appreciated. im sure someone out there has had the same problem before. btw, sorry about bad spelling i have a broken wrist an i did it one handed. thanks

#3 ·
B_RAD_BALLA said:
my 4 runner 22re was cruisin along on the freeway an all of a sudden i heard a ticking so i pushed in the clutch and it died. it was overheated. it wouldnt start up for a log time but it finally did and barely ran. it ran like crap and heated up really fast again. i turnrd on the heater to cool it but cold air came out:confused:. it finally died again after a few mionutes and has been dead ever since. will turn over but will not start. i have ruled out these things: clogged cat, bad plugs, no gas in tank:D, has oil, and i think thats all i know. im pretty excited about the $200 dollar tow bill. so any help would be greatly appreciated. im sure someone out there has had the same problem before. btw, sorry about bad spelling i have a broken wrist an i did it one handed. thanks
sounds like a blown headgasket to me

#6 ·
B_RAD_BALLA said:
umm well the truck? no thanks but i dont tyhink its head gasket cuz i heard that if the head gasket is bloiwn, the oil cap will look all white and gooey/ how do u check compression? btw thanks for the help
No, that's not always true. It depends on where the gasket blows at. If it blows between two cylenders it will make it run like ass if at all, and sound really bad because the extra pressure from the other pistion firing with make your valves ping real bad. The gasket can break near a coolent passage and the pressure from the piston firing will over pressure your coolent system and push the coolent back out of the radator and into the reservor and out the overflow tube. It's only when the gasket breaks between an oil passage and coolent passage that the oil turns milkshaky. so hah! :shaking:

#11 ·
If it has a blown head gasket it should still start unless it was overheat so bad that there is not enough compression to start. I would check the integrity of the rings and valves to make sure it isn't damaged. Leakdown test...

#15 ·
Sounds pretty low to me, but my manual says to do a compression check with the engine warm. Kinda hard for you to do if it wont run. Even cold you should be well over those kind of pressures. Usually first couple of things I do when I check for blown head/headgasket is check to make sure your oil isnt milky or your coolant doesnt have oil in it ( looks like rainbows in the surface) or either smells like gas. If all that checks ok then I do a compression check... I would have to agree with the others sounds like headgasket and/or you might have fried your rings with it running hot. Good luck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.