Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been debating about what to do with my old series. I had running for maybe four months until it died on me one day and of coarse the battery was dead so I couldn't even try to start it. Thankfully I wasn't but a mile or so from home so I walked back got the truck and towed it into the garage. I put the trickle charger on it and I thought it would be good to go in the morning but disaster struck later that night. I ran into the garage filled with black smoke I frantically unplugged the charger and commenced cursing. The next morning I dreadfully inspected the damages and found the alternator fried, the electronic distributor nicely charred and some melted fuel line. :eek::eek:
I replaced all the burnt parts and optimistically got in the drivers seat. I turned the ignition and the motor turned over three times then PAP .... The dreaded sound of broken metal. I looked to see what it was and it turns out a chunk of the bell housing broke off around the starter allowing the started motor to not engage the fly wheel. I then commenced cursing. After I regained my breath I thought "oh I can just get a hand crank and start it that way" so I ordered a crank and it got here a week later. So I optimistically took my hand crank to go and start the rover. I then commenced turning the motor over by hand with no avail after about the tenth it just seized up. This in turn caused some more cursing.

Cliff notes version: it broke , caught on fire, was fixed, and broke again

I was considering selling it when I had it running but I never really wanted to. I had thought about doing a update or sort of a resto mod on it but I didn't really want to hack up a nice restored rover. Now that my engine is pretty well dead I've kinda changed my mind about a resto mod considering the 2.25 isn't really worth rebuilding other than being stock original.

With that being said I've been thinking about dropping an om617 along with a stronger american transmision such as an ax15 or np435 after I do some frame repair and suspension upgrades.

So my vision as far as upgrades for the rover are:
Power: om617
Transmission: ax15
Transfer case: stock
Power steering
Disk brakes up front
Good parabolic springs

Some of my earlier problems and stuff can be found here: http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/land-rover/2097553-series-3-running-like-crap.html

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks but I don't think I could afford it :shaking::shaking: plus what would I do with TWO rovers I can barely keep one running :shaking::shaking:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts