Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 20 of 101 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After several months of planning and getting my money together, finding land, and finding a company to buy my metal building from the time has come to start the project. I have a budget of 65000 dollars. I am building a 36x50 with 12 eves. The apartment is 20x36 leaving me with 30x36 shop space. I will have one 12x10 roll up door for the shop. The apartment will have 1 bath, kitchen, living room area and 1 bedroom. Being single this will leave me with pleanty of space to live in and the shop part will be big enough for what I need at the present time. There is room to add onto the shop later if needed and when I have more money to do it.
At present time the dirt work is done (free did it myself and dirt came from girlfriends farm), power is at work site (free because I am already a customer with the local EMC), septic tank is in and well is being drilled(total $5400), conceret is supposed to be poured on Monday, and start building the metal building later in the week. Total cost of metal building and coneret was $34000. Once this part is done I will be doing the rest myself saving me alot of $$$ to make it a little nicer.
Not really much to take pics of but once I get some I will post them up on here.
There is an old tenet house on the property which I plan on getting some wood out of to use as wall covering. I am hoping to make the apartment look like an old cabin so you don't know that your in a metal building.

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
$34000 seems high for that building/concrete? Is that installed and everything? What type of building did you get? I'm looking at www.miracletruss.com so I can assemble myself and save $$ on the back end of erecting the building. They are a little more up front, but overall savings in the end adds up.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
34000 includes the price of the building, them building it 4 in reinforced concerete, the extra windows and doors I added plus an exhaust fan for the shop. Considering conceret is going for 110 sq yd around here and I don't have to mess with building it myself I thought it was a good price. It was cheaper than anyone else around here that I priced out and theirs didn't include concerete.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I am not really sure. I guess I will find out tomorrow. The dirt pad is about set up like conceret now as it is.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Josh,
The info you gave me from your build has already made things easier for me.

·
Registered
611 Posts
my hat is off to you... i would have done this 15 years ago but the wife has a thing about living in a steel building. i showed her a couple that were finished out inside, looked like a house with a metal exterior, but nooooooooooo. oh well. good luck on your build.

subscribed

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Josh,
The info you gave me from your build has already made things easier for me.
Very cool... I am really glad for you. Looks like you are in a great area too... I love all the trees. You are going to be real happy. I am just now getting settled in my apartment and have been working on finishing the shop area but that is kinda like my rig... Never finished!

JOSH

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Got the call today that the well is finished and the septic tank is all finished. 5400 total for both.
Building is supposed to be delivered tomorrow. See if the weather holds out since they are calling for storms tomorrow.

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
my hat is off to you... i would have done this 15 years ago but the wife has a thing about living in a steel building. i showed her a couple that were finished out inside, looked like a house with a metal exterior, but nooooooooooo. oh well. good luck on your build.

subscribed
I'm the farm land preped for a similar build myself but I'm lucky in this respect as my wife wont mind living in a garage apartment.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The septic system is just a typical holding tank into a drain field. Nothing special about it. I think 5400 was a good price for both too. The guy that done them has done all the other work on the farm out here. I am doing all the finish work myself.
I am not real big on 2 story things so I was staying away from that. I hope to only be in it for a couple of years then start building a house. At that point it will be my dog house!!!
I am not married but my girlfriend has no problem with it.

·
Registered
5,688 Posts
Are they putting a gravel base down first?
Georgia.... no frost heave. :)

Same here in Texas (Austin) as it doesn't freeze, so you see sand being used as a base.

Price sounds about right. Darn hard to track pricing with steel and concrete all over the place. I went with a thicker slab (6" mininum) and a 30 x 50 steel building (14' side walls) for simliar pricing a few years ago.

Still a 'work in progress' but took advantage of warm weather last weekend to texturize the drywall in the "office" area (last 10' of the building is office/paint room)... leaving a 40' x 50' work area. (fills up fast!).

On the apartment area.... 8' ceilings?

1 - 20 of 101 Posts