Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well I finally got my shop up and running after about a one year build time mostly done by myself and some good friends. I live in your average nieghborhood with houses in the 1200-1400 sf range, with your average size yard (not too big). BUT I did want to make the best use of the space that I have, so I decided to go with a 24x24 building with a built in shelter (or lean-to, depending on where your from :p ) Also will have an upstairs loft area of 24x16.

So here's what I started with, a backyard with two different levels (not the best for a shop for sure :rolleyes: )
shopbefore.jpg

So first thing I had to do was get rid of a few trees (paid a professional to do this job for fear of totalling out my house). Then we got to the fun part, my dad just happens to have a small dozier so we brought it over and got to work..
newdozer.jpg

...also had to install a drain pipe under where the shop is going to be to keep from flooding shop during heavy rain.
newshop2.jpg

Finally got the land somewhat leveled out, now to form up for some concrete..
formup.jpg

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
When it got time to do the concrete, I felt a professional was more quailfied for this job also...so after 1500 bucks, 4 hours, 2 concrete trucks, and a concrete pump, the job was finally coming together.:D
flooring.jpg

...before the slab was poured, I went ahead and buried some conduit and water lines to the house... heres a pic of the finished product.

slab.jpg

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Now its time for the fun stuff, framing up the shop. This is the part where it really pays to have good friends...

frame1.jpg

...making some progress...

frame2.jpg

And finally at the end of the day, this is what we ended up with...

shop3 004.jpg

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Now its time to put some siding on it and make it look like somthing. I wanted it to look nice and not so industrial so I didnt really want to use metal siding, and I wanted something that would look nice next to my brick house, so I decided that wood siding would be the way to go. And since I got a deal on some wood (some large 3' diameter oak trees donated by hurricane Isabelle in late '04), this would be the most cost effective way to go... This will be cost effective, but labor effective its not... The trees (not yet logs) are 6 hours away at my grandmothers house on the east coast of NC. So after several trips to grandma's, and alot of chainsaw work, I finally had some large oak logs ready to be sawed up into some siding. I had the logs cut to true 1x12's at about 10' long, and had some strips cut to 1x3.

First things first though, I had to strip out the building with 1x4's so the siding would have something to attach to...

strips.jpg

...and now for the siding...

siding1.jpg

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The shop is actually starting to look like somthing now, almost have all the siding on and about to install the door...:cool2:

siding3.jpg

Now the shop is finally dried-in and I can focus my attention to the inside..:D

dryin.jpg

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yep, two days...:cool2: ..no more like 8 months...had it framed up with the roof on in a day though...:flipoff2:

·
Registered
274 Posts
That siding looks really cool. Great shop.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Here's a couple of pictures of the inside of the shop. For the interior walls I used plywood and the bottom 3' of the walls are covered with concrete board to help with fire prevention since there will be plenty of fab work done in shop...

...two weeks after inside of shop complete, and the first YJ project is axle-less :D

inside1.jpg

inside2.jpg

The total for this shop build (inside and out) came to around $10k... The upstairs loft area remains unfinished (come on, we have Jeeps to build! :D ), but my plans for it will be just kind of a chill area with couches, tv, bar, beer, you know, everything you need after a long day of fab work...:)

·
Super Moderator
'82 Scrambler, '14 Rzr
62,007 Posts
NiteKrawler just brought this shop to my attention to add to the shop build thread, and I can't believe I missed this before now.

I *love* this shop! I love the look, and the setting, and the board & batten exterior.

The lean-to is one of the things I wish I had added to mine for storage of things that need to be *covered*, but don't really need to be *inside*.

·
Registered
25,560 Posts
NiteKrawler just brought this shop to my attention to add to the shop build thread, and I can't believe I missed this before now.

I *love* this shop! I love the look, and the setting, and the board & batten exterior.

The lean-to is one of the things I wish I had added to mine for storage of things that need to be *covered*, but don't really need to be *inside*.
No doubt! A beautiful setting and shop appearance. Looking at the lean-to, I'm wondering if that isn't what I need to make my zoning compliance easier.

The ONLY thing I would change would be the height of the ceiling so I could fit a lift. If you're never had one, you won't believe the difference it makes.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
No doubt! A beautiful setting and shop appearance. Looking at the lean-to, I'm wondering if that isn't what I need to make my zoning compliance easier.

The ONLY thing I would change would be the height of the ceiling so I could fit a lift. If you're never had one, you won't believe the difference it makes.
I wasnt really worried about a lift because of the size of the shop, I think it would have been in the way more than anything. I have since moved from there to a place that has several acres, and am about to start on a new shop. This one will DEFINITLY have a lift.

Thanks for all the compliments! :)

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
should've punched down through the floor into that drian pipe. in a spot or two.. to allow water drainage from the shop..

·
Premium Member
14,733 Posts
Glad this got bumped.

Love the siding, and lean-to :) I plan to add a lean-to to the rear of my garage eventually, nice to store stuff outside and free-up some inside space :)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts