Pirate 4x4 banner

21 - 40 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
763 Posts
Yea it wasnt bad for who they had out there. I think some of the drivers would donate fire extinguishers just as line of defense against there 100k plus cars. If you cant get volunteers then its time to step up and pay some people or better yet try to get a 4x4 club to help with it and donate money to them. I dont know though im not a race promoter or know behind the scenes details. I talked to one volunteer and he said said most of the workers didnt have radios. If theres an accident where theres not course workers and somebody needs to get emt over there its kind of hard to do. These guys are so much faster now and when they crash they crash harder. . Safety is always #1

·
Registered
830 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
...Well, hopefully some race teams will pop in and say something or if they already have, maybe they will share with us..

..Was there a big spectator turn out at Glen Helen or was it just teams and friends in the stands?

·
809 Posts
...Well, hopefully some race teams will pop in and say something or if they already have, maybe they will share with us..

..Was there a big spectator turn out at Glen Helen or was it just teams and friends in the stands?
I tried to like your FB but it wouldn't let me. Just FYI. Any way I was #63 silver with a WWII teeth on the side, but most kids call it the shark mouth jeep lol. I was just looking for pics. What you out up looks great. Thank you Jimmy Jack.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
You should of said something when I was in your pit with Jack..The other Jack...Your temp co-dawg Jack..:)

If anybody is having an issue trying to get on my fb page , pm me here and ill get you fixed up..

I have lots of pics saved going two years I think .

·
809 Posts
I just tried I didn't know I couldn't get on to your FB sorry.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Try again...it is open to the public..

You can like it only I beleive but can comment on pictures and message me on fb if you do so..

·
Registered
106 Posts
I had the good fortune of co-driving in the #488 Degenerate Racing Diamond Axle blue Toyota pickup, and I had an absolute blast at Glen Helen! ...Yeah, we broke the truck... in the prelim... again - this time on the last lap. Catastrophic failure due to a bit too much enthusiasm (read speed) going into the downhill jump after the Talladega turn. But I thought the race was a raging success as an event attended as co-driver, pit crew member, and spectator at different times throughout the weekend.

Due to a flop in practice, a fuel issue on the short course, and then complete front end destruction by the bridge, we needed recovery from the racecourse three times this weekend, :shaking: and each time the volunteers were super nice guys who did their best to help us out, and I've got nothing but good things to say about them! The older guy with the blue 4Runner with red fender was cool as hell, had a great attitude and was super helpful... he even had a couple of wrenches in-hand to pass down to me when we broke our front driveshaft and I went under the truck to see what was left and if we had to pull it so it wouldn't flop around driving back to pit. Super cool! I didn't even have to unstrap our tool bag. Guy just handed me 2, 14mm wrenches like a boss! Said he'd been supporting U4 for a number of years and just loved being a part of the race. That guy was awesome. Also the guy in the black Jeep who was working the short course and towed us to move us off the course near the end of qualifying... he was great too. They were both scrambling to keep up and could clearly have used some more help. But they had just the right attitudes, and I made sure to shake the hands of both of those guys and thank them for their assistance. Badass fellas! :beer::beer: THANK YOU to the volunteers!

It was hot out there and humid on the watered racecourse and you volunteer course workers scrambled all weekend. Dave Cole himself has been there orchestrating recoveries a few times for us - both at Stampede up in NorCal, and here at GH! Dave always thinks like a racer in those situations, super sharp and on-point... gives us every chance to keep racing, asks us only the important questions quick and to the point, always offers a quick word of encouragement, and just gets it done. That guy is pretty great at what he does too!

With all of that said... Understaffed for flaggers? Uh, yes, clearly this race was that. At one point when I was in spectator mode watching from the top of the stands I thought I was going to have to run down and grab the yellow flag from one of the course workers and fly it myself because a car went down right in front of him and he just sat there while several cars in rapid succession blew past him and the spectators closer to the course ahead of the incident were flagging down the cars with empty hands. Eventually he got the memo and flipped out the yellow. So not all of the response to events happening on course were immediate... Always room for improvement, but overall I had a blast at an incredible event that I look forward to attending again in any capacity!

Having vehicles cross a hot racecourse to get to pits/parking? ...yeah, that one was a bit of a head-scratcher in terms of overall logistical event planning, safety, liability. I know from pitting within view of the crossover and overhearing many conversations about it that it was resulting in a WTF response from a lot of folks out there this weekend. The course workers got it done there though, too! I saw a few close calls, but no accidents at the crossover. Yeah, room for improvement but I'd call it an overall success, and I can't wait to go back and do it again. Fantastic times were had by all as far as I could tell. :D

Tbars4... BWR and Degen teams would love to see any pics you snapped of the #911 Widia unlimited car and the blue #488 Stock Yota. Liked your FB. Cheers!

·
Registered
510 Posts
I thought it was a great turnout this year! A little short on volunteers but the Ultra 4 staff made it happen!! During practice racers were helping racers, we rolled a few cars back over in practice and was also up righted by Rick Mooneyeham. Great job by all involved.

Camping and pitting was way better this year.

One thing I saw that was complete crap, a driver lawn darted bad over the wall on the back straight during the LCQ, walked away from his car and let a coarse worker try and pull it out of the way in his personal truck without helping!

·
Registered
815 Posts
The older guy with the blue 4Runner with red fender was cool as hell, had a great attitude and was super helpful... he even had a couple of wrenches in-hand to pass down to me when we broke our front driveshaft and I went under the truck to see what was left and if we had to pull it so it wouldn't flop around driving back to pit. Super cool! I didn't even have to unstrap our tool bag. Guy just handed me 2, 14mm wrenches like a boss! Said he'd been supporting U4 for a number of years and just loved being a part of the race. That guy was awesome. Also the guy in the black Jeep who was working the short course and towed us to move us off the course near the end of qualifying... he was great too. They were both scrambling to keep up and could clearly have used some more help. But they had just the right attitudes, and I made sure to shake the hands of both of those guys and thank them for their assistance. Badass fellas! :beer::beer: THANK YOU to the volunteers!
Sounds like Mark Matthews. He's been one of the core volunteers from the very beginning. He takes that blue toyota and maps the entire race course at KOH each year. Great guy

·
Chubby Chaser
26,105 Posts
Worst racing experience ever for us.

·
Chubby Chaser
26,105 Posts
bummer about your shituation man.

was it a rookie rental driver?
Yep, some 'Red Bull Athlete' that more than likely had a sponsor check written so he could go play off road racer for the weekend:shaking:

Jessi and I were racing through the short course together giving each other room and aware where each other were. We had passed her and she tucked up behind us as we came up to the Odyssey Battery spec car who was outside of us going into the the 90* left at the end of the straight. We had horn on and were as far inside as we could go when he turned hard left like he was the only guy in the world. I had to slam on the brakes hard to keep from hitting him and Jessi came out of the dust with nowhere to go and punted us.

It was a hard three rolls. So now we have a destroyed chassis and it looks like a rental car guy that has no stake in this game just took us out of Ultra4 racing for good,

I'm aware that we're the butt of a lot of jokes cause we're not fast. We're not fast because we have to preserve our equipment as well as possible. Me and Flash are always driving thinking 'we CAN NOT crash this car'. We can't afford to, that's the bottom line , now we got crashed.

We've only glanced over the car but the chassis is scrap. I don't have the budget to recover from this.

Congrats on Red Bull guy on his Saturday win.

·
Premium Member
16,324 Posts
yea so a video on the internet somewhere showing it all go down. sounds like you were the only victim of the guy. maybe deegan should of gave his mulisha rider a few pointers on short course racing.

·
Premium Member
8,998 Posts
We had 2 different issues with spec car drivers. First was on the parade lap with Dave leading the cars around the track for the first lap doing about 15 mph with everyone inline following Dave. Than here comes the FOX car with horn blaring and cuts in front of us and about takes out the front of the jeep. :homer:

Than first lap of main were in the tight section before the straight away. The race had just started and there were about 5 cars in front of use within about 50 yards. He comes up and as he gets on the horn he slams the right rear and crushes the corner and tubes. Than with a few secs slams the next car inline. Yea that was some great racing. I moved over for any car that caught us as soon as there was room. This idiot never gave us a chance.

It was nice to see we finished in front of both of them even with us being in the pits for 35mins repairing a ripped off track bar bracket after slamming a rock. :D

·
Registered
5,453 Posts
We had 2 different issues with spec car drivers. First was on the parade lap with Dave leading the cars around the track for the first lap doing about 15 mph with everyone inline following Dave. Than here comes the FOX car with horn blaring and cuts in front of us and about takes out the front of the jeep. :homer:

Than first lap of main were in the tight section before the straight away. The race had just started and there were about 5 cars in front of use within about 50 yards. He comes up and as he gets on the horn he slams the right rear and crushes the corner and tubes. Than with a few secs slams the next car inline. Yea that was some great racing. I moved over for any car that caught us as soon as there was room. This idiot never gave us a chance.

It was nice to see we finished in front of both of them even with us being in the pits for 35mins repairing a ripped off track bar bracket after slamming a rock. :D
Sorry about the parade lap deal. Honestly, I didn't know it was a parade lap. Then I thought you were fucking with me for no reason so I moved over on you.

I hope you accept my apology. (And that wasn't me that hit you in the main)

·
Premium Member
8,998 Posts
Sorry about the parade lap deal. Honestly, I didn't know it was a parade lap. Then I thought you were fucking with me for no reason so I moved over on you.

I hope you accept my apology. (And that wasn't me that hit you in the main)
All good Chris. I was hoping that's what happened. I know it wasn't you that hit us in the main. You were fast all weekend. Anytime we saw you coming we moved over.

·
Registered
5,453 Posts
All good Chris. I was hoping that's what happened. I know it wasn't you that hit us in the main. You were fast all weekend. Anytime we saw you coming we moved over.
Thanks man. I know Dave told everybody to take it easy on the first lap of practice, but we were late. Practice must have started a few minutes late if that was the first lap.

Glad you did well. We had a circuit breaker fail which operated the fans. Rule number 1 if you're racing someone else's car...you don't blow the motor up when your gauge tells you to stop. The temp gauge is my least favorite gauge. I cussed it out pretty good.

·
Registered
3,810 Posts
I think our GH experience was all positive. Shawn got hit by Jason Blanton in practice which was a little confusing :confused: There seemed to be plenty of room for every one to park and camp. The event pretty well stayed on schedule. For a track with no rock sections people sure seemed to tear the shit our of their rigs.

21 - 40 of 60 Posts