Pirate 4x4 banner

41 - 60 of 60 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,998 Posts
An A and B main would be much safer with regards to lap traffic. That wall at the end of the pit straightaway was sketch.
A and B main with the top 5 from each and a 3 lap shootout:smokin:
Or a yellow flag with 3 to go:flipoff2:

·
Premium Member
1,527 Posts
Yep, some 'Red Bull Athlete' that more than likely had a sponsor check written so he could go play off road racer for the weekend:shaking:

Jessi and I were racing through the short course together giving each other room and aware where each other were. We had passed her and she tucked up behind us as we came up to the Odyssey Battery spec car who was outside of us going into the the 90* left at the end of the straight. We had horn on and were as far inside as we could go when he turned hard left like he was the only guy in the world. I had to slam on the brakes hard to keep from hitting him and Jessi came out of the dust with nowhere to go and punted us.

It was a hard three rolls. So now we have a destroyed chassis and it looks like a rental car guy that has no stake in this game just took us out of Ultra4 racing for good,

I'm aware that we're the butt of a lot of jokes cause we're not fast. We're not fast because we have to preserve our equipment as well as possible. Me and Flash are always driving thinking 'we CAN NOT crash this car'. We can't afford to, that's the bottom line , now we got crashed.

We've only glanced over the car but the chassis is scrap. I don't have the budget to recover from this.

Congrats on Red Bull guy on his Saturday win.
There is in car video on Jessi Combs Facebook of the entire thing..... Looks to me the car on the outside stayed on the outside,

·
Registered
3,555 Posts
Ouch! Didnt even see / hear about this out there.

This is why short course / Ultra 4 is more scary than Spiders and Snakes to me!

I got punted for no good reason on the 3rd turn of the prelim. Not a fun feeling and not cool.

·
Premium Member
7,489 Posts
There is in car video on Jessi Combs Facebook of the entire thing..... Looks to me the car on the outside stayed on the outside,
Correct, the outside car (MD) stayed outside, the inside car (spec car) went from far inside to far outside, MD slammed on the brakes, and Jesse didn't lift through the dust, and sent MD flying. Not really Jesse's fault, but the spec car caused the wreck, IMO.

·
Premium Member
1,527 Posts
Correct, the outside car (MD) stayed outside, the inside car (spec car) went from far inside to far outside, MD slammed on the brakes, and Jesse didn't lift through the dust, and sent MD flying. Not really Jesse's fault, but the spec car caused the wreck, IMO.
Really? Looks like the spec. car is on the outside, actually left the jump after the inside car and stayed outside by the wall on the turn... even looks like he slammed on the brakes.

·
Premium Member
7,489 Posts
Really? Looks like the spec. car is on the outside, actually left the jump after the inside car and stayed outside by the wall on the turn... even looks like he slammed on the brakes.
I just had to watch it another 10 times to figure out what you're talking about:p
I had to two lead cars mixed up, MD was on the inside to start, I mixed up the tail lights:homer:

·
Premium Member
931 Posts
I got punted for no good reason on the 3rd turn of the prelim. Not a fun feeling and not cool.
Results of said punt are in this video. LOL. (recovery sequence shorted for artistic reasons... LOL)

·
Registered
510 Posts
That is nobodies fault! It's called racing. Redbull guy had the lead he gets to chose the line.
We set that corner pretty similar every lap. Hit the tables on the outside and set the corner up on the inside to drift outside and be ready for the next corner.

Sucks that it happened but quit pointing fingers, take a little wood, a few nails, build a bridge and get the fuck over it!!:flipoff2:

Every time you sign up for a race you are taking the chance of you or somebody else wrecking your car!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Ouch! Didnt even see / hear about this out there.

This is why short course / Ultra 4 is more scary than Spiders and Snakes to me!

I'm sorry about this again Dude. I honestly didn't do it on purpose and hope everything is ok because of it. Glad you guys were alright and congrats on a top 10 finish.

·
Registered
3,555 Posts
I'm sorry about this again Dude. I honestly didn't do it on purpose and hope everything is ok because of it. Glad you guys were alright and congrats on a top 10 finish.
I know we worked it out at the track. I'm fine with it and it happens. Just pointing out that you have to be on your game with this style racing or it can really ruin another competitor's (or your) race. Not saying don't drive aggressive but smart. Lots of guys have been hurt because of rookie mistakes. Ask Loren / Jt and now mustard dog about this.

We're good bro. Our incident was a true accident / mistake and no one or car was hurt. You had my heart with that Pacifico after the race.

·
Registered
11,483 Posts
Yep, some 'Red Bull Athlete' that more than likely had a sponsor check written so he could go play off road racer for the weekend:shaking:

Jessi and I were racing through the short course together giving each other room and aware where each other were. We had passed her and she tucked up behind us as we came up to the Odyssey Battery spec car who was outside of us going into the the 90* left at the end of the straight. We had horn on and were as far inside as we could go when he turned hard left like he was the only guy in the world. I had to slam on the brakes hard to keep from hitting him and Jessi came out of the dust with nowhere to go and punted us.

It was a hard three rolls. So now we have a destroyed chassis and it looks like a rental car guy that has no stake in this game just took us out of Ultra4 racing for good,

I'm aware that we're the butt of a lot of jokes cause we're not fast. We're not fast because we have to preserve our equipment as well as possible. Me and Flash are always driving thinking 'we CAN NOT crash this car'. We can't afford to, that's the bottom line , now we got crashed.

We've only glanced over the car but the chassis is scrap. I don't have the budget to recover from this.

Congrats on Red Bull guy on his Saturday win.
Although you and I have had our disagreements in the past, I know EXACTLY what you are going through. I was taken out at Stampede by a guy. It broke my bank to get the car back in shape and I have nothing left. I'm really sorry it happened to you.

·
Chubby Chaser
26,105 Posts
Thanks man

·
Premium Member
1,176 Posts
...The older guy with the blue 4Runner with red fender was cool as hell, had a great attitude and was super helpful... he even had a couple of wrenches in-hand to pass down to me when we broke our front driveshaft and I went under the truck to see what was left and if we had to pull it so it wouldn't flop around driving back to pit. Super cool! I didn't even have to unstrap our tool bag. Guy just handed me 2, 14mm wrenches like a boss! Said he'd been supporting U4 for a number of years and just loved being a part of the race. That guy was awesome. ...
Sounds like Mark Matthews. He's been one of the core volunteers from the very beginning. He takes that blue toyota and maps the entire race course at KOH each year. Great guy
Just saw these. Yep, that was me. Thank you so much guys! I really means a lot to get props from the cool kids (racers)! I had a great time flagging and helping with recovery on Saturday.

KOH 2014 was my last time as a "core" volunteer, but I still may show up from time to time, like at this race.

·
Registered
5,556 Posts
Just saw these. Yep, that was me. Thank you so much guys! I really means a lot to get props from the cool kids (racers)! I had a great time flagging and helping with recovery on Saturday.

KOH 2014 was my last time as a "core" volunteer, but I still may show up from time to time, like at this race.
You paid your dues...better show up at KOH or you will be missed! Someday I will relax and watch a race!

·
Registered
106 Posts

From where I stand, you're the cool kid, Mark! I just get in the car; watch the mirrors and gauges and say "gas, gas,gas!" Or "brake, brake, brake!" Or "passing on the left". I'm just along for a fun ride and to hang with the team. You are out there giving your time, using your rig and equipment and putting yourself at risk along the racecourse to help save our asses with a yellow flag or a quick recovery when we screw up. You're the man. Thanks again. And I hope we run into you again. My name's John. There will always be a cold beer waiting for you after the race at Degenerate Racing / Buck Wild Racing camp. Swing by and say hello! :beer::beer:

41 - 60 of 60 Posts