Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
1-The man made courses exceeded all expectations, and held up well against all abuse. Very very technical and rear steer friendly.
2-The "Wall of Death" was a gut check and I bet I hit 30MPH by the time I hit the bottom. I'm not sure what was worse going up or comming back down!!!
3-Becca was the 1st up the back side, and she has bigger Balls than most of the guys.
4-I saw Peter's / Nicks accident and could have sworn I witnessed the 1st fatality in Pro Rock Crawling. I'm sure the spotter's safety gets addressed before next season.
5-Numerous neck compression accidents. UROC will probably address overhead protection distance, and enforce shoulder restraint tension.
6-Randy Torbett, was ICE in the final and should change his name to "The ICE MAN"
7-Rockrunner Racing proved again to be the best team in in the field (all 4 rigs in the final)
8-Great spectator turn out and vendor runway.
9-Rumor has it, Joel Randall sold off Rig tractor and Trailor to a guy in Texas. I wonder what he will have in 2005?
10-I can't figure out why they did not use "The Wall" in the final.
11-I guess you can win the SC with a 3700lb rig that probably costs less than $10k!!!!(New Holland Tractor Axles, 4.3, Atlas ect) Heck, I don't think he has an aluminum part on the whole rig. However, I still can't figure out how the hell he made it up both sides of the Wall and why Tracy, Jon N, Larry ect did not try it. That would have been the difference in the championship.
12-A cold one goes out to all "SPOTTERS" who really are the unsung heroes in this sport. Good luck in the recovery Nick, we are all pulling for you.
13-The sport is on the right track and all teams better start looking for major sponsorship. I don't think we are to far from seeing Coke, Pepsi, Budweiser, HOME DEPOT ECT.
14-Great season and hope to see you all next year. Daren

Attachments

·
Registered
257 Posts
I agree that the courses were techincal and a cool idea but if this is what our sport is going to then we all better be prepared for more injuries like what happened there. There is no other event I have ever competed in where the driver has the opportunity to get the car to 30 mph before attempting a stage. If there were actually rocks there on the courses instead of just gunite the driver would not have the opportunity to throttle down and jump anything or obstacle in 3rd gear or overdrive. Rollovers in the rocks usually stop on the side or top but not multiple revolution because the car has the chance to gain momentom down the steep gunite walls. Would have been nice to see alot of rocks there gunited into position instead of a skateboard park for 4x4s. If there were rocks on the climbs for traction maybe just maybe we would not have had to get the cars to 20mph to complete an obstacle. I think this was the most injuries I have ever seen at an event this weekend and the majority of them were related to the speed of the vehicle. I called to see how Nick was today and Nick and Pete are in my prayers tonight get well soon. Just my opinion so flame me if you wish.
Chris

·
Registered
529 Posts
I Agree, What happened to the boulder fields where tire placement meant something instead of throttle. The one thing I try to remember is that we are the ones driving/spotting not building or designing. I love this sport but I sure as hell don't want to die along with any of you (my rock family) getting hurt... I wish them the best of luck and a speedy recovery.
I'll be building a desert truck jumper/rock rig for next season if this keeps up!

·
Registered
2,380 Posts
Best event hands down. Best event site anywhere. Great job and great vision by the Uroc gang. I loved the concrete and can't wait to go back.

But.....3rd gear stages are gay ! It's called rock crawling. If you want to start jumping buggies then get a new name.

Someone will find a way to blame all this on spotter ropes or something like that. That's just shifting the blame. More people went to the hospital this weekend then the last 25 events combined. There is a lesson in all of this.

Speed kills. Especially when it's on concrete.

·
Registered
893 Posts
"There is a lesson in all of this"

be careful. next year we will all need 'certified' chassis, full fire suits, those full helmets with neck support, etc.. and it will be 100k just to get in.

there a fine line somewhere.. and once the dust settles, we may be able to see it.

·
Registered
5,545 Posts
No doubt this was a steping stone for our sport. Now that we know it will work we just need to change a few things and do it again. Possibly make it more technical (turns, cracks, cones, etc) and make the ski jumps a bonus. Dont get me wrong I would have loved to see Walker,Shannon, Becca launch over the summit. :D

Dan

·
Registered
101 Posts
first off congrats to team torbett!! and to randy himself, i've seen him compete several times at jellico for EROCC and UROC as well as a local comp here in VA - he rocks hands down.

i hate to say this, but after all of the 4 wheel drive deaths this year - its going to happen sooner or later if someone doesn't step up and do something - like the rebar issue out west. of course i don't want to see anyone get hurt, but people are pushing the limits of rig, driver and course design to the limits - is the sport really ready?

·
Registered
575 Posts
Run dog said:
1-The man made courses exceeded all expectations, and held up well against all abuse. Very very technical and rear steer friendly.
I agree, on Friday everybody who had rear steer used it on every course.
Run dog said:
2-The "Wall of Death" was a gut check and I bet I hit 30MPH by the time I hit the bottom. I'm not sure what was worse going up or comming back down!!!
I agree.
Run dog said:
3-Becca was the 1st up the back side, and she has bigger Balls than most of the guys.
I agree.

Run dog said:
4-I saw Peter's / Nicks accident and could have sworn I witnessed the 1st fatality in Pro Rock Crawling. I'm sure the spotter's safety gets addressed before next season.
I agree.
Run dog said:
5-Numerous neck compression accidents. UROC will probably address overhead protection distance, and enforce shoulder restraint tension.
I agree.
Run dog said:
6-Randy Torbett, was ICE in the final and should change his name to "The ICE MAN"
I agree.
Run dog said:
7-Rockrunner Racing proved again to be the best team in in the field (all 4 rigs in the final)
Nelson and Campbell didn't do too bad either.
Run dog said:
8-Great spectator turn out and vendor runway.
Questionable.
Run dog said:
9-Rumor has it, Joel Randall sold off Rig tractor and Trailor to a guy in Texas. I wonder what he will have in 2005?
?
Run dog said:
10-I can't figure out why they did not use "The Wall" in the final.
Because there wouldn't have been a final.
Run dog said:
11a-I guess you can win the SC with a 3700lb rig that probably costs less than $10k!!!!(New Holland Tractor Axles, 4.3, Atlas ect) Heck, I don't think he has an aluminum part on the whole rig.
I agree. Randy and Eric are a hell of a team.
Run dog said:
11b-However, I still can't figure out how the hell he made it up both sides of the Wall and why Tracy, Jon N, Larry ect did not try it. That would have been the difference in the championship.
I was in 36th place when it was my turn at the wall. After I did the front side of the wall and got my -15, I decided not to do the back side of the wall, because the possiblity of serious injury or death and thousands of dollars in damage to a borrowed rig wasn't worth the risk. I can't answer for Tracy, Jon N etc...but I would imagine they looked at the odds and the consequences and they also made calculated decisions.
Run dog said:
12-A cold one goes out to all "SPOTTERS" who really are the unsung heroes in this sport. Good luck in the recovery Nick, we are all pulling for you.
I couldn't agree more.
Run dog said:
13-The sport is on the right track and all teams better start looking for major sponsorship. I don't think we are to far from seeing Coke, Pepsi, Budweiser, HOME DEPOT ECT.
I don't know if I totally agree. I understand why it's going in the direction it is, but it doesn't mean I have to like the direction it's going. I totally agree that you better start looking for major sponsors if you want to continue in this sport.
Run dog said:
14-Great season and hope to see you all next year. Daren
I'd have to think that there are a lot of teams doing some soul searching right now. There could be alot of trail riding in the future.

·
Registered
566 Posts
there is a fine line between extreme and dangerous. It is great to see the sport trying to reach higher levels of competition challenges and event organising. Supercrawl appears to have done this. Hopefully it shows that man made courses are a viable alternative however safety needs to be placed above a visual spectatcular that launching cars up vertical walls ensures.

I'm sure the organisers are going to use this event as a great learning experience and it can only get better from here on.

props to all the teams for even giving some of those obstacles a go :eek:
I hope the next level is a more technical basis rather than full throttle attacks on obstacles. If I wanted to see that I can go to the local trail and watch the twits in their stock 4wds try and drive the hard lines :D

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just want to say the event was Great, despite the incidents.

My two cents is reconsidering spotter involvement other than radio contact. On courses that extreme I don't think you should have a person running around there near by.

As far as the Wall or (matador?) goes NO spotters got hurt on that one unless they rode shotgun (that I know of)

I agree with neck braces for drivers.

I watched some Home Video from 2002 in Vernel the other day.
Guess what NOT-ONE spotter or driver with helmet.

I think this sport is Growing super fast and has some stuff to learn and is learning it along the way.

The Sport is growing and Shit happens and I am surprised it has not happened this bad or worse to date.

I think UROC is going the right direction. I hope it all ends up OK.

Prayers for Nick.

jeeperG

·
Registered
3,289 Posts
Run dog said:
I never understood why people build their rigs so they only have an inch above their helmets? Just because UROC doesn't have a rule stating how far the roof needs to be away from your head, people need to think for themselves and make sure their own rigs are safe.

·
Premium Member
336 Posts
I'm sitting here with alot of thoughts running through my head right now. I enjoyed my part of the weekend alot! I really enjoyed you guys out there! And the Sponsers are the greatest! Congrates to the new Champs! It was my first chnace to meet Randy and he sure is a nice guy! I've worked with Dean since I've been with UROC, even gave him a helicopter ride once! I've tlaked with alot of you competitors on and off the courses over the years and I don't think there is a fine group of guys and gals in motors sports! You loan and even give each other parts, you open your shops at night, and at the end of the day you work out doing 12 once curls, having some shine, or just sitting around putting stickers on Hummers! You folks are the greatest and make UROC what it is.

Special thanks to Matt and the boys from Factory T. When Nick got hurt I grapped him and asked for some member of his team to take Nicks team's family members to LDS Hospital. The FTM Team where back to me and with the family faster than I can remember. Nicks team was from out of town and had no idea how to get there. Thanks guys!

I hope to see you all back out again next year!

1 - 20 of 69 Posts