Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
hi there, i'm from Romania, and this is my build.
My car is an 1998 Suzuki Jimny,1.3 which i use for competing in the local offroad championship.
Plans for the car: toyota axles swap, 4.88, lockrite rear, LSD front, 5link front, 4link rear, 100 wheelbase and about 11 inches of travel.
in the first stage i will run 32's as the transfercase is stock. later i'll install the GRSII transfercase with 4.9:1 and 35's. in the future an engine swap and maybe bigger tires.
this was the car when i got it:

later after a couple of inches lift and 29's

the i bent the front axle doing this

and decided to swap axles
car in the garage read for some cutting

front links

front axle in place. i moved the axle towards the frontend about 10 inches

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
rear links

moved the rear axl to the backens about2 inches

i've completely cut the body in the frontend . i will cage it later, and a fiberglass hood also.
a pic with a 35 in place to see how it looks....

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
back to the frontend :

panhard bar

with the springs and shocks in place, at full droop

and that's about it for now. at the moment i'm working on the rear suspension, cuttin the wheelarches and stuff. i'm not cutting the body in the rear also as i plan to use the car on the street.
i' ll be back with updates in the future.

·
Registered
837 Posts
i love it! unique rigs have always got my attention. when it's even unique on pirate, that's something worth taking note of.

·
Registered
338 Posts
The Jimny is still a solid axle? Why don't we get those here?! I WANT one! That thing is sick. It looks smaller than an LJ.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
yes, the jimny is stll frot solid axle. and it's not smaller then the LJ. it's 8" longer then the Samurai. The axles are 2.3 inches wider but the front axle it's weaker , althoug it's still 22 splines. i don't think it can stand more then 29" tires.
here is a comparision of the front Jimny axleshaft, 22 splines, and the toyota 8" front axle shaft , 22 splines.

engine 1.3 multipoint, OHC and DOHC versions. in Europe you can get one in good condition with about 2000 euros.

@Yann - i did not compete a TAT this year, the car was not ready. we build a car that did. finished 10th in the extreme section.

back to my Jimny :D
i'm using the steering box from a Nissan Patrol Y60. steering and panhard bar are made from 1 1/2 " tube 0,118 thicknes. links from 1 3/4" tube 0,236 thickness.

clearence at full bump

full droop

the springs come form the Calmini 3 inch lift kit for Sidekick. these are the rear coils. i use them all around as they r long and pretty soft.

done some work on the car also , cut the rear wheelarches and made room for the springs and shocks in the rear.
i'll be back with pics in the next days

·
Registered
483 Posts
Very nice.

I feel I should warn you about that rear truss though, I setup mine that very same way the first time, and it WILL bend your axle tube. I found out the hard way.

·
Registered
37 Posts
If you have a 4 link in the front that pan hard bar is doing nothing except hitting your steering link at full droop which is limiting droop and adding weight. When you have a triangulated 4 link there is no need for a lateral locater. But other than that it looks good, i like the tin top Jimnys a bit better though.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
i do not have enough room to make a 4 link triangulated in the front. i made some flex tests and the panhard doesn't hit anything. the panhard has the exact same lenght and angle as the steering link so i think it won't limit my travel.

this Jimny was a metal top choped into a coupe:D.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
just a teaser with 35's

i've reconstructed the rear wheelarches

done some work on the rear suspension also

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
pretty much finished with the suspension . took it out of tha garage for a look.

next up, bodycage and some fiberglass work..

1 - 20 of 28 Posts