Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A while back, my boss was nice enough to give me a pro tools 104 bender and 1 1/2" die that I found stashed in a corner of the shop.

So I thought I would try my hand at making a notcher to go along with it.
It`s not quite finished, I still need to machine and thread the shaft on one end, and, mill three flats on the other for the drill.

Materials used:
Base - 1/4" x 11" x 8" cold rolled
Shaft - 3/4" 1018 cold rolled 14" long
" Bushing block" - 1 1/2" x 1/4" wall x 6" long d.o.m tube tig welded to a piece of 1" x 1 1/4" x 5 1/2" long cold rolled.
2 oil-lite bronze bushings 1" o.d x 3/4" i.d x 1" long
vise - 2 1/2" square 1/4" wall seamless, 1/4" x 1" c.r flat stock (for vise strap), 1/2" x 1/2" c.r, 3/8" x 1 1/2" c.r, 3/8" x 1/2" c.r

I started out by laying out the pivot and arc slot locations, then the vise mounting hole`s.

The holes were drilled with a 1/4 and 3/8 bits, and then I cut out the arc with my jigsaw. It is a hair over 3/8 wide.

I found that the bushings would be a good press fit in the tube so I did`nt have to bore it out. I drilled and tapped the pivot holes and milled a "V" groove down the center of the 1" x 1 1/4" bar stock to keep the tube centered while I tig welded them together.After pressing the bushings in, I honed them out to fit the shaft.

The vise is a piece of square tubing 2" long with a "V" cut into two opposing sides.On the side opposite of the "v" I welded a piece of 3/8 x 1 1/2 flat stock for the clamp adjusting bolt to push against. The clamp is a piece of 1/4 x 1" flat stock that was heated and bent around a piece of 2 1/2" round stock.The top of the clamp has a piece of 3/8 x 1" flat stock welded to it with a 1/2-13 hole for the adjusting bolt. There are two pieces of 1/2" x 1/2" flat stock on the bottom and two pieces of 3/8" x 1/2" flat stock on the top of the square tubing that keep the clamp centered. The bottom pieces are also tapped for the 1/4" mounting bolts.

Continued in next post:

·
Registered
2,088 Posts
So, the tube vise is rigid, and the hole saw arbor moves? That is a pretty slick idea. It always drives me nuts trying to manuver my vise into a good position for long or awkward tubes to go in the notcher and get angled notches.

Later,
Jason

BTW, what kind of boss just gives you a tubing bender, that was just laying around? Cool boss!

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
looks good but the arbor looks too close to the vise for higher angled cuts going in that direction. great idea.

-Scott

·
Premium Member
10,659 Posts
Nice idea, I'll have to think on that for a spell.

The vise is too close to the arbor, unless you could flip it 180*.

·
Registered
332 Posts
From the looks of the plate after it's been cut out, it appears that the hole saw will be cutting away from the vice on angled cuts so I don't see an issue with them being that close. Although the bolt to tighten the vice strap will be an issue if it's left that long, it will interfere with the bushing block.

Nice work overall! I can't wait to see the end result.

·
Registered
3,348 Posts
haha wish I could get a tube bender for free lol. But ill would like to see how it works. been taking of making one ...

·
Premium Member
23,549 Posts
i think you are going to have a problem with the base flexing. the base on my tn-100 is quite a bit thicker than that and it still flexes and makes the cut off a bit.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
UPDATE: I`ll be damned, it works!

Sorry to take so long, this was a project that I did on lunch breaks and down time at work.

It works pretty well all things considered. The hole saw is a little off center of the tube,but,nothing major.I`ve got some .060 aluminum that I will use to make a shim to raise the vice to the proper height.(A new hole saw may eliminate some of it.)Considering that I basically eyeballed everything when building this,I don`t think thats too bad.
There was no visible flex of the base,but,it was also clamped at all four corners.Also,since I have not used a dedicated notcher before,I didn`t get to aggresive with it either.

Thanks for looking.

·
Registered
698 Posts
That beats the hell out of using an angle grinder and then filling the gaps with weld!

·
Premium Member
10,037 Posts
Great job on the notcher...it came out very professional looking. But if you were going through all of the work, why build one with bushings rather than bearings? for $35 you can buy one with bushings that will wear out at HF...

·
Premium Member
243 Posts
Nice! Good looking welds too!

Out of curiosity, what size tube did you use for holding the bushings?
C

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Great job on the notcher...it came out very professional looking. But if you were going through all of the work, why build one with bushings rather than bearings? for $35 you can buy one with bushings that will wear out at HF...
Thank you.

Very true, I could have bought one from harbor freight,but,I dont have very much faith in their products.EXAMPLE: when I was building my trailer,I bought a 4 1/2" angle grinder from there and within four hours it went up in smoke.Also,the 20 ton bottle jack I bought for my homemade press started leaking about a month after purchase.
The bushings I used for mine are heavier and most likely better quality also.
I looked at the ones from H.F. and I felt that they were to thin and were alot more "porous" than the ones I used.If it comes down to it,I will make new ones out of aluminum/bronze that will probably outlast the notcher.
Lastly,these little projects give me something to do in my spare time at work.

thanks again.

Nice! Good looking welds too!

Out of curiosity, what size tube did you use for holding the bushings?
C
Thank you.

The tubing is 1 1/2" x 1/4" wall D.O.M

1 - 14 of 14 Posts