Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Premium Member
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's finally happening, I'm getting a proper shop. We recently moved from IL to IA and the deal was that I get my detached shop in the move. I had long ago out grown the single stall I used to work out of. I did most of my tube work out in the driveway due to lack of space. So this is my attempt at building my perfect shop. Due to money and zoning issues it's not going to be as big as I want but then again it never is:laughing:

I'm building a 24' x 48' stick built shop with 10' walls and radiant in-floor heat. The doors will be down the long side of the shop. One 9' x 8' and one 16' x 8' with a 36" walk out door. The end with the 9' door will have scissor trusses so I will have head clearance for a lift later. So I guess those are the high points.

They did the dirt work last night and pored the footings and frost walls today. I'm going to strip the forms tomorrow and insulate the frost walls and the excavator is coming out Sunday to back fill and compact. I can then lay the floor foam and tie off the tubing. If the weather holds out they will pore the slab Monday. The building materials show up Wednesday and I have friends coming next weekend to help me set trusses. It's going to be a whirlwind build but I have to get it up so I can get all my stuff out of storage and into the shop by the end of the month. Nothing like storage fees to motivate you:eek: The finishing will have to wait. I need a secure weather proof box right now.

Here's the forming and poring of the frost walls. The ground slopes to the back of the lot so the front of the shop will be 2' underground. That way it looks like a normal 8' high garage from the road.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,700 Posts
going from 200SF to 1200... you will be so overwhelmed you will pile all your stuff in one tiny corner anyway :flipoff2:

·
Premium Member
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Darkstar you know me better then that, I'll clutter it up with or without Redtruck's stuff:D Although I'm going from a total of three cars of garage capacity to over 10:D Not a bad move.

I used a Menards plan for the basic shape and cost estimates and the more I did layouts the more I liked the shape. Instead of a 30' x 40' which left me wondering how I was going to organize my stuff I figure a longer shop will stretch it out into bays. The single door being the lift bay, the double door being the working bay, and the blank end will be the machine shop/welding area. The zoning issues were more height restrictions and timing problems but it all comes down to the all mighty dollar:(

Today I gained a new appreciation for concrete workers! I single handed pulled about 270' of frost wall forms. My dad pulled the pins and I hauled the 3'x4' forms to the form baskets. I'm going to be sore tomorrow:homer: But in the end we got them stripped and the frost walls insulated. This in between wrapping and installing window in the walk out wall of the house. It was dark once we got the foam on so I'll have to get some pics in the day light.

My excavator is coming out tomorrow to back fill, dig the water line, and trench the tube and wire from the house. Since I'm also currently building the house I had a 320amp meter socket put in to run the house and shop. I also put a chase in the house foundation from the mechanical room thru the frost wall. I'm going to continue that tube out to the shop so, later, if I want to run cable, phone, etc. out to the shop I can pull it thru that tube. The 4/0 4/0 2/0 aluminum wire will run from the meter socket to the shop in the same trench. Then comes floor foam and tubing! I hope the rain holds off for a Monday slab pore. they have to do the cap garage floor, front stoop, and the shop floor all Monday! That's about 2000ft^2 of flat work.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well the excavator got it back filled but he didn't wrap up till about 5:00 and the wind was blowing pretty hard. I decided to push the pore back to Tuesday. There is rain in the forecast for Monday and I don't want to risk it. That also gives me Monday night to lay the insulation and clip the tubing. Here are some pics from today.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Nope, think North side.

Well I got the insulation in and the tubing tied down after work. I wish it didn't get dark so early these days. Although laying 1100ft^2 of foam and 1000ft of tubing takes a while. The pics are dark but by the time I get up there tomorrow the tubing better be under concrete never to be seen again:D

Attachments

·
Premium Member
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
North of Sherrill. Why are you going to come help me build it in the 40deg rain?

The concrete guy had truck trouble and he couldn't get his crew there today. There is rain in the forecast for tomorrow so I think he missed his window of opportunity:mad3: I don't care if his guys have to walk there I need the concrete to move forward!! I did make a run to Menard's tonight for some house supplies and saw my shop on the truck ready to be delivered! Looks like I'll be building it in the rain:D If it does rain tomorrow I guess I'll have to build it from the outside and make him pore the slab thru the doors or the walls if I don't have then sheeted by then. So much for tight schedule...

·
Registered
647 Posts
the road there in the background looks nearly identical to the hill side leaving key west right near old davenport road off highway 61 151....after u shot that down i was just guessing.....

i would but im at college 90 miles north but take 52 home....where is ur location at exactly

·
Premium Member
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I guess I have some catching up to do. I've had too many late nights working out there by headlamp:rolleyes: Wednesday the concrete guys finally came out to pore. It's a good thing the rain held off. They put down rebar and tied it instead of mesh, which I thought was kind of weird but their the experts. The guy running the power trowel did hit one of the PEX lines:mad3: At least he had the balls to come find me and tell me about it, and it's high enough that I can splice it. I guess I can't be too pissed he was honest.

All the materials were also delivered that morning. I didn't get to work on walls till Thursday night. I had a friend from work come out and we got the 8' walls up. It wasn't till after dark so the pics are actually from today. He left @ 7:30 and I went into the garage and built the rest of the wall sections. Today we carried them out and set them up. So all the walls except the door side are standing. First thing tomorrow we'll finish the walls and set the top plates. After nailing a couple sheets of OSB in the corners we'll be onto trusses. Sunday the wind is supposed to be bad so we are pushing to get the sheeting on all of it and some bundles of shingles on the roof by then.

It's amazing how tall the 10' walls look:D

Attachments

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
I had a 320amp meter socket put in to run the house and shop. I also put a chase in the house foundation from the mechanical room thru the frost wall. I'm going to continue that tube out to the shop so, later, if I want to run cable, phone, etc. out to the shop I can pull it thru that tube.
I may be wrong but I don't think you can run high voltage and com/data in the same conduit.

1 - 20 of 87 Posts