Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 195 Posts

·
Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I opted not to post this project as I went along because I knew it was going to take me a while to complete it (2.5 years) and I didn't want to have to feel "slave" to update the project all the time. But.......now that I am done, I thought I would share my project with this forum.....mostly to show, like many others before me, that this type of buggy can be built fairly inexpensively and still be an excellent trail buggy.

So I will start with pictures from the beginning, add some comments along the way, and end with the final product. So bare with me as it will take me a while to get through it all.

First........a picture of the final product.

Attachments

·
Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Now some specs:

Engine: 2.2L Ecotec from a 2007 Chevy Cobalt (non-turbo....obviously).
Trans: 4T45E
Diff Ratio: 3.63:1
1st gear ratio: 2.95:1
Rear Axle: Ford 9" with 35 spline chromos, spool, 6.17:1 gears
Front Axle: Chevy D60 with 35 splined inner/outers, spool, 6.17:1 gears
Wheels: BTR 17"x9", 6 lug aluminum
Tires: 39" Krawler stickies
Chassis: Design based on Campbell Enterprise's Single Seat Moon Buggy but stretched to 113" wheel base.
Steering: PSC steering system (ram, orbital, pump, etc)
Estimated weight: 2200-2400lbs (EDIT 4/2014: Final weight came out to 2500lbs. Not a bad guess a year ahead of completion!)

·
Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
More pics of the build up.

Attachments

·
Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Now the fun began. Once I got it together, it was time for wiring and computer work. The second picture below it how I took it to the shop to have it programmed. I pulled the wiring harness, complete, out of the donor vehicle along with the 6 computers!!! I was able to cut out all but 3 computers (ECM, PCM, and BCM-body control module). It took some research, but eventually I figured it out and was able to have the comptuer programmed. Now that it is done, this thing purrs like a kitten no matter if it is cold, hot, sideways, or whatever. The BCM is the only computer that is not well environmentally sealed. So I have it encased in a special container.

Attachments

·
Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
In general it seems to crawl very well in that the crawl ratio to torque seems about right. It could use a little more hp so perhaps a turbo is in order soon.

Of course, top speed is only about 30 or 35. But so far that hasn't mattered too much...........but then I haven't hit the Hammers yet from the parking area.

I love driving it and the size seems to be perfect for sqeezing through spots. Time will tell if the durability is there.

The only unexpected difficulty had to do with the one area no one has really had to deal with much.....the CV joints where they go into the transmission. I cut the CV flush and made a flang and welded the ujoint flang to that. The problem was that the CV is held in to the trans with a small snap ring. So in the rear, when the driveshaft is loaded and the suspension tries to drop, it pulled the CV out of the back of the trans. I fixed the rear by drilling through the CV flange/ujoint flange and drilling and tapping the output shaft and installing a bolt (much like a slip yoke eliminator).

In the front it was a bit more complicated, but still the same problem. The front 2 piece shaft I purchased from Tom Woods. They have a slip yoke between the tcase (trans in my case) and mid ship bearing and then another between the midship bearing and the front diff. So when the drive splines are loaded and the suspension drops, it pulls the upper slip yoke and either moves out of the center bearing or pulls it from the transmission. I fixed this by putting a roll cage bar clamp just behind the midship bearing and then another one at the center slip joint......essentially making the mid shaft solid. The engine is hard mounted to the chassis so I'm not worried about movement and needing that center slip. SEems to work well now. Again, time will tell.

That's all I can think of for now. Glad I could share.

EDIT: See more later in this thread about further refinements and fixes for the CV output issues I have experienced. As of 4/2014 the CV outputs is the only issue I have encountered with this buggy! Everything else works awesome.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Sweet , I was going to use the same engine but didn't want to have a long wheel base.
How does it work. Looks good
What did you do for engine tuning?

·
Registered
355 Posts
Very nice rig! Buddy and I had conversation about using that engine and tranny for one. Glad to see someone did it before us lol. What function is being used in the bcm that you had to keep it?

1 - 20 of 195 Posts