Pirate 4x4 banner

41 - 60 of 1735 Posts

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
This is most exciting rebuild thread I've read in a while!
I'm pumped Jason. What's up with the Big Dawgs?
You've got me thinking about BlazerBash Hollister right?
Yeah BlazerFest is in Hollister, 20-22 of this month. Come on out!

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #44 (Edited)
Ok got the upper link mounts fabbed, what a pain. The diff seperates in the middle to access the gears so making mounts tends to be tricky. The 2 mounts will be tied together with a piece of 1/4" plate between them that the ram will mount to. The ram will bolt to the plate then the plate will bolt to the two mounts. It looks odd and boxy now but once the steering stuff is in it will look good, I think.

More welds, no stacked tacks here :flipoff2: :

Back side will be boxed in just hasn't happened yet:

Side shot, this is 2" above ride height so the axle will move 2" closer to the frame at ride height:

Overall shot:

Had to articulate it to see where the bumps will hit the axle under articulation since I'm working on my shock mounts/bump pads at the moment...

More tomorrow after work!

·
Registered
4,087 Posts
Dude dont you know how to round corners off? Everything looks so square. :flipoff2:

I have a feeling I might need to buy some rootbeer and nilla waffers. :p

·
Registered
4,087 Posts
If Im saying that I might be buying those items then that means I have some faith. :flipoff2:

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
I highly doubt it due to how much steel is between it and the surface... But if it does, oh well, got plenty of spare parts... I did test the locker yesterday and it worked so I guess if it doesn't tomorrow then I know what the problem is lol.

·
Premium Member
5,761 Posts
What size are the links?
Are they temporary?
It might just be the size of the axle and truck that make them look small...

·
Registered
420 Posts
dad had to weld on top of one of his so we will see

his had broken locker gears in both axles

so we got to look over that locking chamber

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
Yeah they are temp. Just 1.5" .120" butt tacked to the tube adapters. The links will be 2" .375" wall in the front and 2" .500" wall in the rear. Before I had .375" all the way around and bent the rears since they are so long (50"). The tubing won't be in at the metal yard till Thursday hence the temp. links...

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Well the only reason I wanted the dry sump was the clearance for the pinion lol. The pinion, at ride height, is 1" below the oil pan sump :eek:

I'm going to knock off the side of the pan next to the pickup to clear but if I had a pan that was only as deep as the crank then I'd be set... I think I'll be happy with the modded oil pan. I do however have nightmares about what I am going to find in the bottom of my pan... Too many late nights on my side with no oil pressure :laughing:
Any reason you just did not move the diff over and get new inners?

Those boxes look a lot like 406's, are they really that different (just larger overall, but the same basic shape)?

Are the CV's the same??

·
thhhpptthh!
46,721 Posts
I'm interested to see how long your pinion conversion holds up. I didn't trust just butt-welding the spline to the plate. I ended up turning down a 5"diam x 4" long chunk of solid stock, then pressing the spline into it. then a couple plug welds and a fillet on the end.

why did you box the entire centersection upper mount instead of just welding it to the houseing?

looking great man. keep it up.

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
Any reason you just did not move the diff over and get new inners?

Those boxes look a lot like 406's, are they really that different (just larger overall, but the same basic shape)?

Are the CV's the same??
They look just like my 406's from what I can tell. I'd like to know the real parts interchangeability. A U1300L looks like like 406's as well, but people claim they are different.

Andy

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
The outside of the portal looks different than a 406 or early 416. The casting is thicker and the gears are different, I'll dig up some pics tonight...

As far as the pinion, I'm sure it will be fine, I trust my welding... We'll see if I man up to that statement if something happens :D

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #59 (Edited)
Tonight I got off work late and didn't get to the garage till 8:30 so I only got one of the 3 8 lug adapters cut out...

As I said in previous posts they are cut from 1" plate and will attach to the stock mog 6 lug hubs. Once the other two are cut from the plate I will flip it over and fly cut the final .020" off to drop the pieces out then off to the lathe to finish the OD and ID and then there ready to go.

41 - 60 of 1735 Posts