Pirate 4x4 banner

241 - 260 of 304 Posts

·
Premium Member
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #241
Thanks

There stronger than they look and are made of 11ga Galvanized Steel. Here's a pic of a 48" piece with 45" between centers it deflected 1/8" with about 1900 lbs. point loaded in the middle and returned to straight when unloaded. If I do bend one and can’t straighten I’m not worried. The material was relatively cheap and I picked up a couple extra sticks. Eventually the will be LineXed for durability.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,405 Posts
There a firestone air bag that has 15.6" of travel. Need to find the part#. The coil spring mounts need to be fitted with Plates to sapport the bag and adjusted at the right angle for max compression. Im extremly happy with them, still need to get the shocks adjusted though. (Broke one of the adjusters on a rock).
I'm having trouble locating that airbag. I keep finding airbags that dont have much travel. (4-6") The Firestone site is hard to use. They seem to be aimed at adding hauling capicity, not replacing the springs. Were your origenal spring buckets stock? or did you make them? I'm thinking of making my truck coil sprung all around. Since I have to make or install spring buckets for the rear anyways, I would like to make the spring buckets acomadate the airbag for a future mod if I'm not happy with the ride.

·
Premium Member
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #244 (Edited)
Thats impressive. Whats next?
Thanks, nothing major is planned right now. Just a lot of small refinements. Fix radio/subs, fix doghouse, paint, finish fire ext mounts in front of bed, finish bed latches, install steering wheel, make hood latch, install cb, gas door latch, add 2 rock lights, Etc.

I'm having trouble locating that airbag. I keep finding airbags that dont have much travel. (4-6") The Firestone site is hard to use. They seem to be aimed at adding hauling capicity, not replacing the springs. Were your origenal spring buckets stock? or did you make them? I'm thinking of making my truck coil sprung all around. Since I have to make or install spring buckets for the rear anyways, I would like to make the spring buckets acomadate the airbag for a future mod if I'm not happy with the ride.
Took me several evenings of going through there part numbers to find them. The spring buckets are stock ones that were modified with bag mount plates. The bags part# is W01-358-5712. If memory serves they were original used on a semi trailer. Got the Spare bag out of storage here are a few pics. Hope this helps.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
140 Posts
Any issues with this since? I think its a great idea to get some more travel out of it. Did you fab up the "washer" that links each side together?

Before putting the front end back together I decided to check the amount of angle the driveline could take before binding, it was 18 degrees. A closer look I notice it was actually binding on two of the driveline fasteners. So I decided to re drill the drive shaft to allow me to use four more fasteners and two dowel pins. With the original two bolts that bind removed the drive shaft picked up 5 more degrees of travel. We figure the reason I sheared them was a result of the new springs giving me more droop binding the ujoint, stretching the fasteners till they failed.
I fixed this issue with a Differential mounted limiting strap. Had about 8-10 trips since then with no issues.

·
Premium Member
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #248
Thankyou. I found it for sale several places. But not much info like how much weight its designed for. Did you get any info with it? Do you know what your truck weighs? How much psi do you run? Sorry for all the questions.
If memory serves right they were originaly used on Capacity of Texas vehicals.

At this point my mog weighs in just under 5900 lbs and I only run about 40 psi in the front and 25 psi in the back. My biggest problem with them has been because of running such a low air pressure that its difficult with my current ride control to set the air pressure accurately. Also I really need to adjust the front shocks for a little more dampning. Will be posting some vids of them working.

·
Premium Member
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #250
Any issues with this since? I think its a great idea to get some more travel out of it. Did you fab up the "washer" that links each side together?
I have since ditched that setup for 1410 ujoints when i did the trans swap. Are you refuring to part #486, its a factory driveshaft lock tab. Makes removing the driveshaft a real pain.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #251 (Edited)
Drove it to NWMF this year, 40 miles both ways... manage to only use 28 gallons of gas total for three days of wheeling. Really loving this new setup, 2700rpm at 65mph on the highway there and was carrying on a conversation with the co-pilot the whole way. Still getting use to the new shifters, they seem to work better the more I use them. A usual I manage to break something at mogfest, shattered the drivers mirror shooting up one of the hill climbs and caved in the body around the passenger head light trying to move a hill of dirt. Drivetrain is working great, planning a browns camp trip in September and it feels good to know that all I need to do before then is pound out a dent and put on a new mirror. Here's some pics.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #253
Made a TSF trip last weekend, it was a blast! The mog performed flawless. Manage to incure some more body and bumper rash along with bending the stock tie rod coming off a boulder and crushing the shock. (Time for a Upgrade) Here's some pics

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
mogging

those fender flares arent stock are they?
No he built them earlier in the thread.

I sat down today and read your entire post and as you have heard a thousand times, amazing rig. You really have some serious skills. I doubt my 404 will ever be this built but I love what you have done and am using your rig as a model. I just got a 62 404 with a doka cab stretch custom bed and some extras but mostly stock. Over the years im hoping to change that.

Thanks for the step by step photos and comments, makes for an interesting and inspiring read!

·
Premium Member
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #260
After much convincing of the better half (the house gets wood floors now), I started work on a small play area at the house. Plans are to build a rock garden/ trail system in the small woods. So far I have taken out 160 Aborvida that range in size from 4" dia to 12" dia and 28 fir and pine trees. I have heard some people say that my mog is not a "Working" mog but I beg to differ. Found the easiest way to take out the aborvida was to just run it over, Choker up about 20-30 of them and drag to the burn pile! That was one hell of a Sunday funday! What do you expect a unimog, 6 guys, beers, destruction and a big fire!

As dark set in I decide to go play on a 4' stump from a freshly cut pine tree. I manage to slip off and get hung up when the bark separated, tweeking the fender. So I have some repair work to do before it gets repainted in the spring. No matter what I did having the weight of the front end on the stump I could not get off it. That is till I remebered about the air bags, after playing with the switches I manage to easily back right out of the danger. Ended up owning the stump in the end but was unable to get a glorified poser shot. Here some pics enjoy.

Attachments

241 - 260 of 304 Posts