Pirate 4x4 banner

41 - 60 of 304 Posts

·
Premium Member
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Feb 18,
Fixed the air Cylinder, Nice to have my front locker back working. Went up to play in the snow and test out my new rock lights. Don't know how I ever lived with out them, but they were almost worthless in the close to 3feet of new powder. Only aired down to 12psi.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
Awesome truck!

I've seen it at the last couple of Mogfests and wanted to chat with you about your truck but you never stayed in one spot long enough.hehe :D

·
Premium Member
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Thanks,

Last couple of years it has just been day trips to nwmf but this year I'm planning on camping over atleast one night. Hopefully we will be able to meet up.

·
Premium Member
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Took allot of pics sometime in February. Going to post some of them with a few details of parts I used.

First series are pics of my gas tank. Knowing that I was going with the ford fuel injection and that I didn't want anything hanging off the side of the frame were the requirements. I soon found that a fuel tank out of a 1998ish ranger standard cab fit perfectly so long as the factory locker rods were not used. Not to mention it has a fuel slosh baffle around the pickup and that is also a heavy wall poly tank. Only problem is its only about 16 gallons so range is limited. Plans in the works for another aux tank.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
This series include some misc pics.
I used the rear wiper motors out of a Chevy van, had to modify the gear box on them slightly, for more throw and shorten the wiper arm also. As for fitting them I just drilled the main shaft hole out and had to tap the back side of the window frame for an anti rotation screw. Also had to lathe up a fancy little aluminum spacer.
The rest are misc pics of the top and window frames.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
This series are of the pedal assembly and drivers area.
Pedal assembly is out of a early 90's fox-body mustang. Knowing that I was using the bell housing clutch assembly from a mustang is was a simple choice. Sure some people might argue why a mustang clutch. My response is have you seen the aftermarket clutches and clutch linkage available for the mustang. Currently running a ford motorsport clutch and it seems to be holding up. Pedal feel seems to be fairly light and easy to operate.
Also notice that the steering column has a u-joint on it, this was because I had to shift it over a couple of inches. There are plans for a different steering column in the works will post when I do it with more details.
Not the master cylinder location. Its out of a dodge PU can't remember if its 1.25 or 1.125 diameter.
Yes the foot room is a little smaller than stock. Had to move the engines wall over 3-4 inches and relieve the inner fender with a 5lb sledge.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
This series are misc. of the interior.
Spent some money on the front seats, rear seat is a $25 score from pick-apart. Plans are in the works for a new dash area....

Attachments

·
Premium Member
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
Another series.
Going with the v8 I decided I was going to run a radiator that I knew would work. A buddy gave me this 3core unit out of a Granada or Thunderbird, unsure. It works great with a flexalite shrouded fan. The radiator placement also meant that I couldn't use the stock hood latch so plans were made for the hoop pins on the fly. Kinda embarrassed on how they look but just haven't got around to fixing it yet.(out of sight out of mind)
This is where I placed the computer (planning to change it). With the new motor I changed to mass-air from speed density fuel injection. Note the bbk mass air meter. On another trip to the auto wreckers I found my intake plumbing. From the snorkel to mass air meter came out of a ford v10 van throttle body area, and the portion from my mass air to throttle body came from a v8 explorer. Just had to plug a couple of holes.
Yes it is a tight fit and I wished I would have made the dog house differently for easier plug removal. Plans are in the works for a dog house modification.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
Misc. pics of chassis.
I severely modified/made the headers from a set I had laying around then sent them out for coating. Original plans was to run a crankcase evac system but that has since change hence the plug.
Front spring here are the original rears, note how there now sagging due to jumping it what do you expect from 51 year old springs. Front shocks are RS9000xl 12.75" stroke. Severely bent the factory tie rod right after going with hydraulic assist. New one is 1.75 dom .375 wall, had to bend it for clearance. My tubing bender was working pretty hard on those bends. Currently have a 8inch ram still 3/8" from the stops at full lock, going to switch to a 9 inch and trim my stops and add a double shear at the tie rod ends. Some of you might have noticed that during final assembly I decided to paint all the lube locations red for an added touch.
Rear springs are ford expedition rear. They bolted right in and seem to do pretty good with my weight. Rear shocks are RS9000xl 14".

Attachments

·
Premium Member
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
Drain plugs are located threw out the interior for easy wash out. A 2 3/8" hole saw was used for cutting the holes and the plugs are early 80's ford rear cab mount covers. They fit perfect before linexing the floor, little tight now but still work.
Few more pics of exterior.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
Bed series,
Since mine came with the radio box and I made it a doka it was easier just to build the bed from scratch. Started with 2x4 tubing and went from there. To cut down on weight I went with aluminum diamond plate for the floor. Sides were made to resemble the factory sides as best as I could. Had some simple latches lazered out, they seem to work pretty good. Made the bed so the rear and the sides fold down and removable.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #54 (Edited)
Well I live in Oregon and it rains... Mud flaps were in order so this is what I came up with. They are completely removable by pulling the pin and slipping them in then out. To make them last I sandwiched the truck flap between two plates. There big but make me legal. When off they have also helped out as something to lay or kneel on.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
Snow trip February 26,
Fun day in the snow First time airing down to 7-8psi worked awesome. The snow was kinda shitty real dry and didn't pack well. Had to use a little more speed and momentum to get through it. Which resulted in everything running warmer at slow speeds. Ended up blowing a air line that went to the gages. Made it up the hill but when we stooped the lockers disengaged. Used some bailing wire to hold them in and made it home with no problems. Kept bottoming out the front end tho...

Attachments

·
Premium Member
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
So I got tired of not being able to see at night and I hated the way the fiberglass top looked in the front so I decided to make a light bar.
After much thought and noticing that it doesn't say unimog anywhere this is what I came up with. The only problem is I had to make a custom 1" dia die with a 2.5" radius for the bender to make the bar look right in my opinion. Eventually I will swap out the halogen lights for LED's but these lights where cheap and work.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #58 (Edited)
March 5th where were you... Sweet home mudfest
Got really muddy blew out my quick airline fix. But I had made some cool little spring things just in case it happened again will post a pic at some point of them.
Kept bottoming out all day so I took it easy. The front springs are now shot.
Shitty thing is it took me 3 days to clean and I manage to get some shit in the gas take from the steam-cleaner.:mad3: Another thing is mud got into my clutch cable extension and hardened took me awhile to figure why the clutch started to slip. Cleaned it out good as new. Only got one pic of the unimog that day and that was in the line to leave.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
To fix the Front spring issue I decided to try a set of rear expedition springs on the front. Figured it would lift the front end an inch higher then the original spring before the jumping. Ended up lifting it 1.5", 3"over the shot springs. The mog now sits with a 1/2" rake forward, and the ride seemed just a little stiffer but that was compared to a worn out 51 year old spring.

March 13th
Went to the snow again ran awesome off road but is really squirly on road measured the caster When I got home it was 7.4 degrees negative.:shaking:
Hit a huge hole and started running like shit. Thought I got the computer wet, ran like shit all the way home. Heard a clunk coming off the hill didn't think any thing about it.:shaking: The snow was really wet and well just a shitty trip period.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
March 20th
Hills had got some new snow, decided to go up with some Friends. I had water proofed the computer again. Figure I would tolerate the caster till snow season was over and do a tear down then. It was a great trip aired down to 6-7 psi went wherever I wanted it to. But I should have stayed home...
Just as we started going down of the hill I noticed the front end binding.:mad3: Knew that clank I heard was coming back to haunt me 3+ miles from a tow-able area. It was getting late so I just limped it in, 4 wheel drive with the lockers engaged seemed to keep the tires rolling. Got to my buddies trailer and it died.:mad3: Wouldn't start so I pulled the engine cover and found one cooked coil... Ends up thats why it was running like shit the week before. Since then the coil has been relocated out of the dog house. In hindsight that probably wasn't the best place for it above the valve cover. So for only the second time since I got it my mog got trailered. (First time was to 2010 mogfest because the motor hadn't been tuned yet)

Attachments

41 - 60 of 304 Posts