Pirate 4x4 banner

My V8 Doka Unimog

280K views 303 replies 69 participants last post by  Bohalrantipol 
#1 ·
Here is my build thread. I've been meaning to put it up on pirate for more than a year. These pictures are over the last 3 years, and I have gone through several stages of this build and rebuild. At this point I figure I have had every nut and bolt taken out and put back in at least once and most of them several times. This is my first unimog, but i have several years of experience working on other custom or unusual builds. This is a V8 Doka cab unimog build. I will do my best to answer questions, but as time has gone by some of the specifics about dimentions and what not may have slipped my mind. Hope you all enjoy. I will update the thread with more pictures as I continue to make changes.

#4 ·
"So after much debate and some cost vs. power vs. usability. I decided I was never going to be happy with the original six cylinder. Having done a few non-typical engine transplants I started to look at a few Engine options. I was looking at the ford 300 six and the ford 302 v8 but Ended up choosing the v8 for a few reasons. The main two were how narrow the engine is and that performance parts for it are readily available and I just wanted it.
The first thing that I needed to address now was what Clutch disc to use. After much research I decided that in the long run it would be cheaper if I had the stock input shaft of the Unimog transmission resplined to the common 10 spline input shaft for the late model mustang. I also shortened the shaft 2 ½” to move the engine further back for weight. I was able to do this because the mustang has a smaller diameter input shaft. The plan was to end up using all the clutch components and pedal assembly from the 5.0 mustang. It’s a cable style linkage so pedal placement would be easy and all the components are designed with the right pedal ratios to work with the mustang clutch. By doing this enables me to run off the shelf clutch kits. Built an engine cradle to mount motor to the original six cylinder front mount.
Built an engine cradle to mount motor to the original six cylinder front mount. This was done to maintain the factory frame flex issue, it also should prevent the bell housing from cracking. (note: since doing this I have had it on the road nearly two years and have had no issue with that, and I have jumped it...) For power steering I decided to go with a ford 2WD F350 steering box. I modified it for counter rotation, and add needle bearings. "

Attachments

#6 ·
Brakes, wheels, air locker cylinder: I converted the mog axels to disk brakes, I used corvette calipers and Chevy rotors. Thanks Kabuki for the help on that. Went with 12 bolt hummer wheels with a modified rock ring to serve as a step to get into the cab. I used air cylinder actuated lockers and somewhere in here I decided to make it a Doka cab too.

Attachments

#7 ·
Freshly mounted 42" IROK's. First time outside since work began. Rear springs are out of an expedition rear suspension. Front springs are original unimog 404 springs. Due to rust in cab replaced rusted out corners with structural steel in anticipation for a cage.

Attachments

#12 ·
Here are some miscellaneous shots of tin work and brake assembly. I did the brake assembly this way to maintain maximum foot room. It’s a fox body mustang pedal assembly with a dodge pickup master cylinder and brake booster. Wish I could add specific tech info but I forgot the diameter of the master cylinder. Rear bench seat... $25 score out of Volkswagen van.

Attachments

#33 ·
Unfortunatly that one of the files that I lost! Been debating about redoing the converson to add a AA ranger overdrive. Wished I still had the data. Thinking about finding a spare tranny to remeasure,

As for the input shaft it was kinda a pain to get out since the trans was still in the chassis.

#21 ·
Tis' the night before Northwest Mog Fest 2009 and I am going!!! Only 60 miles of highways and byways to get there. Handled flawlessly. To cruse on the highway at 55+ is a blast at 3600 RPMs. Drove it like this through the summer, then I needed mud flaps.

Attachments

#23 ·
The rain is here. Hunting season would have been better with a roof…. Commence hard top build. Sorry not a lot of pictures. Built a mold, took it to a local fiberglass who gel coated, and sprayed the glass on. Somewhere in here mounted a winch up front.

Attachments

#26 ·
Taking the cab off is no small effort. Decided since I was going through all the work to get back to the motor time to build the one I would have liked to have in the beginning… a 347 fuel injected ford… and upgrade the exhaust (built headers)… and the intake (modified intake)... and converted over to a mass air and tweecer fuel injection set up.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.