Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i have had cronic problems w/ breaking adapters and couplers w/ my 10 spline 465/205 combo... like i have broke my adapter more than half a dozen times... well i decided to do something out of the box.... i wanted a 32spline 465 w/ th400 style 32 spline input on my np205... so i was thinking that i could use a 208 adapter, round 6, and a round 6 205, but we all know how finding one of those is, and the output is too long on the 32 spline 465 to use a factory figure 8 adapter... so i am in a delima.... i cant stop breaking the couplers, which is what was breaking the adapters, so what to do???

the fix.... what i used was a typical 32 spline input for a th400.... a 465 from in front of a 208, and a custom adapter.... a what you say??? something you can buy that will make all this mess bolt together??? well, now you can....

i called john at jeds machining, a cool ass dude btw, and explained my delima, we shot the sh!t for a while and this is what we came up w/... a figure 8 32 spline adater... what is it made out of??? two 1/2" plates that have the bearing retainers machined in them and a 7/8" thick tube to attach them together w/ a 2x2 gusset for tranny mounts.... it weights 30lbs!!!!

well here are the pics....

here is the new mount next to the old one... 1" difference in lenght....

32spline input in the old 10 spline case....

adapter on the tranny.... this setup has 100% spline engagement

what do i have tied up in all of this???

$430 shipped on the adapter
$160 shipped on the input and bearing
$70 for machining on the t-case

$660 grand total

i will see how much difference it makes on the driveshafts.... and i ordered it w/ no t-case shifter mount or trans mount....

JEDS MACHINING 715-284-8575

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
A lot of use it is without a trans mount or shifter mount. :rolleyes:
Why? can't make your own?? your right, it's not a "bolt-in" type deal:shaking:

i think it looks awesome... now for some testing, i'm willing to bet you break something else before you break the adapter:laughing::flipoff2:

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
well i am putting it in my buggy, w/ an existing x-member, and i am changing from solid moun to poly mount so i wanted to add my own anyways.... as well w/ the shifters, i only have a very small slot for them to fit in....

but thanks for your interest....

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i'm willing to bet you break something else before you break the adapter:laughing::flipoff2:
i fucking hope so... i fixed that mother fucker on the ground in harlan.... 9 hr drive and i broke it on the first obsticle....

·
Vertical Limits
5,037 Posts
I know I ALWAYS use the shitty factory rubber mounts and crossmember for the HUGE ground clearance it lends.........Its a custom piece and you make your own mounting feet. also, my triple sticks go right onto a custom doubler adapter I built, so yeah, wtf was that guy thinking. we should all have cookie cutter adapters. STFU:shaking::laughing:

Nice piece. what machine did he use to open up the front of the case? cnc mill or indexing table on a bridgeport or the like?

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Nice piece. what machine did he use to open up the front of the case? cnc mill or indexing table on a bridgeport or the like?
i have no clue... i dropped it off, said i want this bearing to fit this hole and he did... so, i dont have a clue... he might have used a dremel and a steady hand for all i know...:D

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Damn Jimmy, Da shitz BADDAZZ:smokin: I remember when you launch(like a rocket) out of that hole in riverrock...the 2nd time-you broke:eek: Hope it holds together!!Chuck

you talking about up that 7 foot bank up by the driveway??? that was great......

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
i got a chance to wheel at morris mtn this weekend and i tested this new setup... it was GREAT being able to beat the fuck out of this w/o concerns of breaking it... here is a little clip of me hitting loop springs.... i highly recommend this to anyone thats wants unbreakable....

test video...:D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5xq7kdAl1aw

·
Registered
9,368 Posts
back when I was thinking of what tranny to run, I really wanted a 465, but decided on a 700R4...biggest concern was the dilemma your presented. damn it, I wish I woulda gone 465. props for thinking outside the box

·
Premium Member
1,901 Posts
Can you get us a couple of pics of it installed? I would just like to see how you have your crossmembers all tied in too.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.