Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
got a mystery going on in my 89 truck. starter has an attitude. cranks only when it wants to. hit the key, dash lights dim, no spin. tap starter, spins normal. check the wiring,battery conections, grounds ok. before i get flamed, let it be known that this is the third starter. this problem can occur at any time, hot or cold don't seem to matter. thanks for your time!

·
Premium Member
15,352 Posts
got a mystery going on in my 89 truck. starter has an attitude. cranks only when it wants to. hit the key, dash lights dim, no spin. tap starter, spins normal. check the wiring,battery conections, grounds ok. before i get flamed, let it be known that this is the third starter. this problem can occur at any time, hot or cold don't seem to matter. thanks for your time!
Quit buying junk starters..

·
Banned
253 Posts
Starter

it must be the engine, tear it down, put it back in! If that doesn't work, do a swap! If that doesn't work, do a 12ga modification.

·
Gravity Works!
30,943 Posts
Cut a hole in the passengers side floor allowing hammer access to the starter and when it fawks up again, just reach over and give it a good ole smack.

Then every once in a while raise the hood and poke at your wiring harness with a stick for good measure.

sounds like I get to call you "Hammer mechanic" after all huh bietch:lmao:

So... What would you do if this was a customers vehicle? Be a parts replacer and install three starters for him?:shaking: Think Journey Boy think:flipoff2:

You know, I still have about ten Toy starters on the shelf - one or two might be crappy Declo POS's.

Use your works on line repair manual for a wiring diagram since I know you don't have a FSM for that thing and mine aren't new enough.

·
Premium Member
7,366 Posts
it must be the engine, tear it down, put it back in! If that doesn't work, do a swap! If that doesn't work, do a 12ga modification.
Kevin, for a guy who adamantly bitched about others giving worthless answers, you sure have done a 180 ...

What's the deal? I know you have a hell of a lot of decent knowledge .... why are you stooping to the low level of the posters you used to bitch about???

·
Premium Member
7,366 Posts
ignition switch or starter relay
Bingo, is it a 3.0? Mine does it, and I'm too lazy to troubleshoot and fix it, so I always park it like all my buddies from high school parked their VW Vans. It always bump starts LOL!!!

I'm pretty sure mines the relay or some old wires that need to be replaced to the starter solenoid.

·
Registered
124 Posts
first off 1 in 100 Toyota starters i find to be bad. its almost all of them "click but no crank" "Hammer tap - crank" are caused by worn starter contacts.

If you tap the starter and then it cranks, then its getting voltage (may have to little voltage (should be 9volts or more when in crank position).

If you still have an ND starter. just pull it out and replace the starter contacts ( any Toyota dealer will have these instock ). some cheap starters rebuilders don't even replace these.

and replace your starter relay :flipoff2:.

·
Gravity Works!
30,943 Posts
Bingo, is it a 3.0? Mine does it, and I'm too lazy to troubleshoot and fix it, so I always park it like all my buddies from high school parked their VW Vans. It always bump starts LOL!!!

I'm pretty sure mines the relay or some old wires that need to be replaced to the starter solenoid.
first off 1 in 100 Toyota starters i find to be bad. its almost all of them "click but no crank" "Hammer tap - crank" are caused by worn starter contacts.

If you tap the starter and then it cranks, then its getting voltage (may have to little voltage (should be 9volts or more when in crank position).

If you still have an ND starter. just pull it out and replace the starter contacts ( any Toyota dealer will have these instock ). some cheap starters rebuilders don't even replace these.

and replace your starter relay :flipoff2:.
He's lazy too (I know him) I told him to check the relay and test voltage at the starter. He' knows very well about the contacts also, but these are re-man or new POS delco's he's trying to run now.

His rig has probably 250,000 + miles on it so and it's a DD, I'm sure some electrical contacts in the wiring harness are weak or corroded.

Remember Scott... K.I.S.S = keep it simple stupid. start testing all your starter circuits, relay, starter switch, wire connections - why am I telling you, you should already know. Hell, I'd even check the tranny nutral start switch as wore out as the tranny is.

·
Premium Member
683 Posts
Ignition Switch??? Click, Click, Click..then start??? Replaced starter contacts, replaced the starter ... twice. Click, Click...came back! Turned out to be my ignition switch...

·
Registered
10 Posts
It's a design flaw. Toyota tried to feed the starter solenoid with enough juice via the ignition switch. They quit doing this in the tacomas, and made the ignition switch drive a separate relay to drive the solenoid. New starters don't need much juice to the solenoid, but it goes down quick. I went through about five starters (free lifetime warranty from vatozone), each would work for a while and then start randomly quitting.

Add a relay at the starter. Activate it with the starter lead, and drive the solenoid via the relay from the main power post of the starter.

·
Registered
161 Posts
So all you guys are saying that its the starter relay or the ignition switch?

I had the same problem with my 4runner. I went through 4 starters or so in a 1 - 2 year period. Some only lasting 1 week some not working straight from the box. They were crappy BOSH remans with 5 year warranty. If i had a problem a tap with the hammer would work but it only worked for a few weeks. I tried power straight off the battery and it didnt work. Finally Partsource got mad and started bench testing them when i brought them back and the same problem on the bench...sometimes it would work then 5 mins later it wouldnt. From what i have read in the past its contact problems.

For me i found it to be a problem with the crappy aftermarket reman starters...not my ignition/relay system.

But if i have problems in the future I will try rewireing using the relay as described in this post.

Thanks...I learn something new every day!!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts