Pirate 4x4 banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
5,390 Posts
Yea I don't understand how the medical professionals were caught so unprepared. You'd think they would of seen this as possibility and had a few personal extras stashed back. I had a 10 pack in the shop and I've made sure all the nurses in my family got one. Guess I won't do any auto body work or drywall work for a bit.
You can thank all the sigma six lean manufacturing type business models. Why keep anything on hand when you can have it delivered next day.

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
A very good friend is with McKesson. He said exactly what you said. None of the employees can buy them as well. Its for the most part by allocation only at this point. Many areas are getting shorted because of new “hot spots” showing up. This is not anything against any one hospital state. The Guberment is currently controlling most of the distribution, wither they admit to it or not.
Have a good friend that is an RN in a COVID-19 unit. 2 days ago she was dealing with an unconfirmed patient that was coughing etc. She expressed her concern to the supervisor saying she is pretty sure the patient has it and requested an N95. She was denied the mask since the patient had yet to be tested positive. After caring for the patient and being coughed on for a 12 hour shift the patient was tested and ended up being positive.

So now she's pretty much waiting out the clock for symptoms to show up. They are required to work until symptomatic and then if they test positive they get to go home.

·
Registered
4,715 Posts
All of this hair on fire about PPE and Vents is wasted time. It's a supply and demand issue cause by an unprecedented pandemic. In the future, perhaps everyone will stockpile more. but other than that there isn't much to be done until production can catch up. It's sad and may cause even more deaths but there is no sense in wringing hands or blaming each other. Just a fact to deal with.

·
Registered
12,186 Posts
Have a good friend that is an RN in a COVID-19 unit. 2 days ago she was dealing with an unconfirmed patient that was coughing etc. She expressed her concern to the supervisor saying she is pretty sure the patient has it and requested an N95. She was denied the mask since the patient had yet to be tested positive. After caring for the patient and being coughed on for a 12 hour shift the patient was tested and ended up being positive.

So now she's pretty much waiting out the clock for symptoms to show up. They are required to work until symptomatic and then if they test positive they get to go home.
They started getting tight with masks in the local ER where my wife works. I told here if the pull any bullshit like that she walks right there right then. They get 1 N95 a day, and they are starting to sanitize them to re-use them the next day, which is better than not having one.

It's bad in a way since the masks get contaminated and need cleaned and replaced between patients, they are trying to clean them during the day so they can rotate them between patients.

·
blatant asshole
12,112 Posts
Pretty much nowhere, they are not selling them to the retail chains at the moment. Luckily I still had half a box of the N95 masks in the garage, had to go crawling through some insulation last weekend and it would have sucked without them.
See heres the thing.

Which version of the masks?

I had no idea what "n95" masks were so i spent 3 sec looking on amazon exactly what they are and why they are so special.

There are no less the 4 types. All different shapes styles and fits.
N95 is the particulate filter grade.

Why the fuck anyy one thinks the blue square bullshits wil stop a damn thing is beyond me.

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
See heres the thing.

Which version of the masks?

I had no idea what "n95" masks were so i spent 3 sec looking on amazon exactly what they are and why they are so special.

There are no less the 4 types. All different shapes styles and fits.
N95 is the particulate filter grade.
Exactly. I dug around at work and found a few R95 (similar to N95 but for use with oily vapor) masks that I was going to deliver to our nurse friend. Sent her some pics and she said nope wont work since that type won't fit her face correctly. If there are gaps and don't seal they aren't effective.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts