Pirate 4x4 banner

141 - 160 of 292 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
my problem is my ride is my DD, makes it harder to get the big mods done. I did find that ihonlynorth has rollbar mod for scout half cab that might work, but probably wont have it in time. And to beat all I just bent my steel rim on a hill climb only too find out today I also broke a chunk off the lip off the tire. So first thing is I gotta get is a rim/tire, but otherwise I'm as ready as I'll ever be for this year.

·
Premium Member
5,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #142
We'll, lucky me finally got the rig out of the back yard and into the front yard and garage. Stripped off the front clip and yarded out the old rad (there was no coolant left in it to drain BTWQ :D).

Flushed the motor, pulled off the fan and fired up the pressure washer and power-washed the truck and a healthy chunk of the 30-year old gunk on the front of the engine (JY truck after all). Might make working on it a *little* nicer. Finally started pulling off the air-injection tubes (because they have always annoyed me), might even pull the intake manifold and fix the welsh plug under the EGR that leaks and sounds like ass. EGR will probably get blocked off as well. Pull and plug the heat riser valve things and just generally clean the top of the motor off (I hate all that extra crap). Don't really *need* to do that, but it makes me feel better and looks allot cleaner.

Started figuring out how to mount the Taurus fan... taking a little creativity but I think I got it figured out. It will be tight.

Still got to go through the carb real quick and see why I have a little idle-stumble. Makes off idle really crappy and sounds like its idling on 5 or 6 cylinders (but then clears out). Might as well check timing while I'm at it.

O-ya, fixed my failed master kill-switch. Apparently they aren't as water proof as I hoped and it must have gotten some internally corrosion. Unfortunately the way I got mounted it is/was kind of a PITA to get to, but its all done now and I got a cap to seal it when not in use.

Also re-hung my gauge cluster, since 1 of the 2 screws holding up decided to fall out and the other was not too far behind. Things almost looking presentable again.

I feel a lot more confident that I did a couple days ago when I saw my available time vanishing fast and the truck was still dead and flat in the back yard.

Left to do:
  • Finish rad R&R and upgrade (priority)
  • Pull Manifold and fix leaks (not a critical thing, but when the motors drained is the best time)
  • Swap out Alternator with new one sitting on bench (definitely before I leave)
  • Check and top-off fluids (definitely before I leave)
  • Look at tranny X-member. I think its missing a couple bolts. Hasn't seemed to be a problem, I think its been that way for a while, but if I know about it, and don't fix it, it will be an issue.
  • Check tools and spare parts (should be good)
  • Load on to trailer 1-2 days before leaving (that would be a first)
  • Give trailer a once over (should be good)
  • Work on camper and figure out how to mount in truck. Needs some things fixed, but I think its just going to get a clean up and basic for this trip. Going to be 100X better than a tent anyway.
  • Pack food (been known to do that one the way there :D

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
I have started adding camping food to the regular shopping list already -- so I don't end up with a $100 grocery bill just for one weekend. Makes me feel better if I 'trick' myself into thinking I didn't spend that much. I tried to start last week - but I ended up drinking the beer I had set aside :shaking:

Scout To Do:
1) Build some spare axle shafts
2) Add air to rear tires -- They look to have leaked down to about 3-4 psi...
3) Check fluids
4) Top off gas.
5) Build a spare rear driveshaft ?? Maybe...

Pickup to do:
1) Install tranny cooler.
2) Finish plumbing and wiring aux. fuel tank

ALSO --- if any of the dudes from out of the area need any camping supplies PM or post up and I will see what I have.

·
Premium Member
7,180 Posts
To Do:

Tell Rusty that I shipped my camping stuff out today

Wait another week and pack bag for Seattle

Get hotel reservations

Give Rick a ring to get things lined up

Im pretty comfortable with my timetable:D

·
Premium Member
7,667 Posts
To Do:

Get hotel reservations

I'm slightly behind schedule....
I still need to pack my box of stuff to ship out to Rusty... other than that, my list is the same as Chi's. :flipoff2:

·
Premium Member
5,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #146
To Do:

Get hotel reservations

I'm slightly behind schedule....
I still need to pack my box of stuff to ship out to Rusty... other than that, my list is the same as Chi's. :flipoff2:
FAwkers :flipoff2:

but then again, you guys are in the winch-bitch seat(s) :flipoff2::D:flipoff2:

·
Premium Member
7,667 Posts
FAwkers :flipoff2:

but then again, you guys are in the winch-bitch seat(s) :flipoff2::D:flipoff2:
Actually, now that I think about it, I kind of have the opposite problem as Rusty. I've been so fixated on working the Scout lately that I'm kind of pushing it to get my shit boxed up and shipped on time. I actually need to STOP working on my Scout so I can prep for this trip.

I bought a new tent tonight... a much smaller one that my usual Taj Mahal. It's starting to age and is a big heavy son of a bitch and I'm trying to cut down on size and weight for shipping purposes. Need to set it up tomorrow night after work and seal the seams, so the best I can do on shipping it is at least Wed. if not Thurs. Should still be enough time to get it there, but I would have liked to left myself a bigger margin.

·
Registered
2,985 Posts
To Do:

.........Give Rick a ring to get things lined up.........
We should be in prety good shape guys. As I think someone posted earlier we should see what kind of gear you out of town guys may need so we can start getting it together.....I plan to bring as many coolers as I can get together and extra food with them. I have a couple extra fold up camp chairs I'll bring too. You guys have rain gear just in case? Don't be fooled, the seasons are changing and it will get cold over night and could be cold all day so make sure you have warm clothes....A larger BBQ would be nice but mine is a falling apart POS and I think if I try to move it, it won't make the trip....What else do we need?

·
Registered
2,985 Posts
Also, how many guys were I picking up near the airport? I know Chiscouter and IIRC Mechanos, was there another?

·
Premium Member
5,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #151
Also, how many guys were I picking up near the airport? I know Chiscouter and IIRC Mechanos, was there another?
It would be nice if they all got the same hotel/motel. Don't know how practical that is, but it would save you the running around with the truck and trailer. Not that its inpossible in that area, but the less manuvering the better.

·
Premium Member
7,667 Posts
Well, I asked Rusty in a PM, but I'll put it out here as well. Only thing I can think of that I'd need that hasn't already been covered is a 5 gallon bucket for my camp shitter. I've got warm clothes, rain gear, tent, sleeping bag, air mattress. With the extra stuff that others are bringing, I think that's got me covered.

·
Premium Member
7,667 Posts
Seams are sealed on the new tent. Pulling everything together in one place tonight. Will put it in a box and send it off tomorrow night if all goes well. The shipping calculator estimates 3 business days to get there.

·
Premium Member
7,667 Posts
Holy shit.... I just spent the most time packing a bag that I've ever spent in my entire life. I never really checked into what it would cost to check a bag, so I hopped on United's web site and did a little checking. Turns out that the first checked bag only cost $15 provided that it does not weigh more than 50lbs. and is not greater than 62 linear inches (length + width + height). When the dust and sweat settled, my gear bag weighs ~42lbs. and measured conservatively comes in at 61 linear inches. I say it should measure 59 linear inches by measuring from seam to seam, but if they want to be dicks and acount for any bulges (it's a soft sided bag) then they might say that it's 61 or 62 inches.

So, after packing and repacking my gear bag about 7 times, I managed to get the following in the bag described above:
  • tent
  • tent stakes
  • sleeping bag
  • rain gear
  • boots
  • camp shitter seat (fits on a 5 gallon bucket that Rusty said he'd provide)
  • toilet paper
  • insulated pants and jacket
  • wag-bags for the shitter
  • air mattress and air pillow
  • air pump for mattress
  • 3 pairs of gloves (No, they're not blue :flipoff2: )
  • garbage bags
  • flashlight
  • stocking hat
Since I've fucked around and haven't left myself much of a margine for error on getting my shit shipped out to Rusty, I've decided to roll the dice on the dimensions of my gear bag and just bring it with me and check it on the airplane. If it's not considered oversized, it will cost less than half of what it would cost me to ship it.

·
Premium Member
7,667 Posts
Did yall make any hotel reservations yet?
I'll be doing that in the next day or so. We're going to reserve a room for Thursday night and another reservation for Sunday night and just split the cost.

·
Registered
2,985 Posts
I have a electric air pump for air mattreses and such if anyone wants to use it. Just have to use it near a vehicle with a cig lighter like my tow rig for instance...

·
Premium Member
5,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #160
I'll be bring my little 1000W generator as well.... so small AC appliances are no problem (like filling air mattresses).

Might just bring some temp-lights and really have decent light :D

141 - 160 of 292 Posts