Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
14BFF with a Detroit Locker. 2" spacers. Caddy Calipers. Sounded great last time I drove it. Sat up for 3 months.

Today it is making a loud "ratcheting" noise as I drive forward. It gets faster as the truck goes faster. Click, Click,Click....

It does not make the noise much when coasting, but makes it loudly when accelerating.

Seems to be coming from the rear axle. U-joint is tight. No vibration that I noticed.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I can't attach the .mp3's here, so they are here so you can hear it in action.

·
Registered
114 Posts
did you check the diff fluid? sounds like the locker.

PA-XJ2

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
I know its far fetched but check for zipties on your drive shaft somewhere. This asshole that hangs around my one buddies house did something with zipties on my friends truck and when you drove down the street it sounded like something was really fucked up.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No pranks, no rocks in the wheels, not even one of my kids "helping" by putting a screwdriver through the u-joint and leaving it.

did you check the diff fluid? sounds like the locker.

PA-XJ2
I'm thinking that it is the locker. I filled the diff whe I installed the axle a few months ago and have very few miles on it, so the fluid should be fine.

·
Registered
6,017 Posts
Sounds like u joints to me. Double check. Jack up the rear tires and rock the driveshaft back and forth.

·
Registered
654 Posts
I am not saying anybody is wrong, I am throwing this way out in left field, Do you have an auto trans? Are your converter bolts tight? I have had that noise before, and it was the fins on the tc rubbing the bell housing.

my .02
good luck
jenks

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
TH400, and its never been touched, but I'll put that on the list of things to check.

·
Banned
3,384 Posts
I am not saying anybody is wrong, I am throwing this way out in left field, Do you have an auto trans? Are your converter bolts tight? I have had that noise before, and it was the fins on the tc rubbing the bell housing.

my .02
good luck
jenks
those get WAY loud when the get loose. and it would be coming from the front/middle of the car.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts